Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Too much endplay on axle on 1845C

69zfarmer ยท 2009-12-25 16:25

I just bought a 1996 1845C and i am going over it before i start using it.The left rear axle will move in and out about a 1/4" the other three feel good with just a little movement when you push and pull on the axle.I tried to add a washer and tighten the nut on the back side of the sprocket after pulling the cotter key.This did not help.How do i take up the slack?I had heavy moisture filled milky grease in the L&R chain cases i washed them out with a pressure washer and some of the water remains in the bottom of cases so i was thinking of putting a gallon of diesel fuel in each case run it a couple of minutes drain it and put reccomended 10w 30 oil in the cases.Would this diesel fuel hurt anything or would you go ahead and put oil in and forget fuel?

Replies1
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2009-12-25 16:53

    1845 Im thinking the 1845, is about the same as my 1840. I had the wheel bearings go out on one axle, it was my first attempt at doing this repair. It really wasnt hard to do, I also had milky oil in the chain case. I wiped it out and keep spraying diesel fuel and wiping it out, I finally got it clean. I got all the bearings and seal from Napa, my local auto parts store. I ran it for a few weeks and another axle went out, I just replaced all of them and they lasted until I sold the machine. We were working in a bad area and it was rough on the machine and the previous owner was rough on the machine also. Replace the wheel bearings and seal on the bad axle Keep us posted