Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

too wide?

WScott ยท 2008-09-22 22:55

Just purchased a D3Gxl dozer. When speaking with the dealer on the phone, before the 10 hour trip to pick it up he said that it had the small blade on it. Cat makes 3 blades for the D3 small, intermediate, large(lgp series). After getting there and loading it we determine that it has the intermediate size blade. 6" wider than my trailer, even when angled. Will I have to permit this to haul it? Should I find another blade and swap? Grrrr. Let it go until I get caught. I brought it home and angled the blade and made it flush on the drivers side of trailer and let it hang off on Pass. side. suggestions? where do i find out permiting info? wide load laws etc.

Replies21
  1. #1Steve Frazier2008-09-23 00:28

    In NY, anything over 8'6" needs an overwidth permit, I don't believe it has anything to do with the width of your trailer. Your State Motor vehicle department or Department of Transportation would have your regs.

  2. #2digger242j2008-09-23 00:30

    So, how wide is it, total, when angled fully? My recollection is that 8 1/2 feet is the legal width limit in most jurisdictions. On edit: Steve beat me to it...

  3. #3WScott2008-09-23 07:44

    Sorry, Trailer is 8'6" wide Blade is 9' wide angled

  4. #4dirt digger2008-09-23 09:17

    if it is over 8'6" wide then legally you need a permit, i am pretty sure you can buy a yealry permit from your DOT, theres probably a form somewhere online

  5. #5John Banks2008-09-23 12:57

    Arkansas - When Permit Is Needed Over 8'6" wide, Special Information Needed Physical address if stopping or starting within state of AR Overweight need original origin and destination Containerized-need to know what's inside container Copy of freight bill/bill of lading Date and time of movement Make of truck License plate # and state; Times Of Movement Daylight hours only unless permit allows travel on holidays and at night (overweight only) Permits may be issued for overdimensional loads to move on Sat. & Sun. Dept. of Transportation Permits Office-Hours: 6am-4:30pm; M-F State Hwy & Trans Dept-Permits (501)569-2381 P.O. Box 2261; 10324 Interstate 30 Little Rock, AR 72203 http://www.ArkansasHighways.com

  6. #6OneWelder2008-09-23 14:23

    When I had my lowbed I a got yearly permit for up to 10 wide - Thats NH

  7. #7Komatsu 1502008-09-24 06:46

    In Illinois it was $300.00 a quarter for over width under 10 feet. No problem, but we also have local municipality permits (they get to make their won rules). I once bought three permits to move our little 150 less than 15 miles. I got so sick of getting permits almost every day I finally narrowed the machine. I forgot to mention they were trip permits only, nothing available on a time basis, only good for 48 hours and forbid moving on weekends and after dark.

  8. #8dirt digger2008-09-24 08:32

    when my boss went to buy a new 15ton trackhoe he specifically went out and bought a machine that was narrower then 8'6" so he went with a Volvo EC150...but if you actually get out and measure the tracks the thing is 8'7"

  9. #9WScott2008-09-24 10:09

    I too did my homework (i thought) But after purchasing the dozer realized that it had a diff. blade than expected. Called DOT of AR and got the scoop as you all have so kindly recommended. The most they offer is a 6 day 2 county permit.- $17.00 I will have to renew every week. Wow what a pain in the bum. Maybe I can buy the smaller blade a put it on. Anyone want a 9 foot blade for a d3g? LOL

  10. #10dirt digger2008-09-24 10:46

    i assume that you actually did measure the blade and trailer right? haha but in the long run all of those permits and fees get passed along to the customer, so why go through the whole process of getting a new blade when a bigger blade is usually more beneficial anyway will you really be moving this thing every week?

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2008-09-24 13:05

    Before you go through getting a new blade, try angling the dozer slightly on the trailer, as well as angling the blade, and then tilt it as well, putting one side on blocks. I load a D-5M that way, and can get it down to 8'6" wide, and I am sure my blade is wider than a D-3.

  12. #12WScott2008-09-24 13:54

    I am a residential contractor usually on a job only for a couple days at a time. So yea I move my equipment weekly.

  13. #13dirt digger2008-09-24 17:07

    try what JDOFMEMI does...we have a Case with a 9' blade and get it to fit...another guy around here pulls his D5G with a tri and tag and he manages to do it too....how much wider are you? 6"?....i'm sure if you try and maneuver it enough you can squeak by

  14. #1445LMSWM2008-09-24 20:56

    I drive a lowboy for the local Caterpillar dealer. In my experience, every D3, D4, & D5 XL low track can be brought down under 8'6" if you load it "catty-cornered" on the trailer(spelling on that is probably wrong), meaning you put the back of the right side track on the edge of the trailer and angle the blade full to the right.Keep turning the machine until the right corner of the blade is inside the trailer. At that point, usually the left corner of the blade is in, too. Sometimes with the D5XLs, you have to fully tilt the blade and block it up. Though barely ever enforced, it is illegal in NJ to transport a machine with the attachments off the trailer. If your lowboy trailer has ramps up to the wheels, you can use this to get it done rather that blocks. D5 XL high tracks can usually be brought down under 8'6" as well, as was mentioned before. Good luck getting an LGP machine under 8'6" Can't do it with a Cat with the blade on. Good luck, John

  15. #15Komatsu 1502008-09-24 21:37

    We have a lot of 8' roads. The largest city is 8' 6". The 150 was 8' 11" and since we do mostly residential we are on small roads a lot. When we were busy it was not unusual to move more than 5 times a week - just a huge pain.

  16. #16wormkiller2008-09-27 10:33

    How new are the end bits on the blade? End bits add about 7" total to our D3lgp, take em off and no permit needed. When my dad was in buisness I asked about width permits for our 8'10" 215clc the first time I moved it. Dad said that would be the least expensive fine, no big deal. Five years later while moving a 11'8" Cat 320lc a State trooper pulled me to check my tags and permit, guess what, no fine on the width but I got poped for an overloaded axle.

  17. #17worf692008-10-09 20:52

    102 in The max legal with is 102 inches in all 50 states but it could be less on some roads. In 49 states you just need a permit and some flags to be legal but Alabama has a law saying that you will need a excort car if there is any overhang by a Dozer blade. :usa

  18. #18buggyman2009-04-12 00:10

    How wide???????? If I could not angle the dozer to get it all on I would take the cutting torch to it. If you don't have the skills and torch take the hole thing to a top quality welder/cutter and they will make it how wide you want. Good luck. Paul

  19. #19thejdman042009-04-30 15:41

    I was pulled over once, I had a 98" wide trailer and the blade on the dozer I was hauling was right at 102". 102" is the legal with in il. Even though my load was a legal width, it was wider then the trailer, and the cop wrote me a ticket for an over width load. So if it is wider then the trailer or wider then the law, you need an over width permit.

  20. #20eianewb2009-07-26 12:47

    i know nothing about dozers... but is it too much of a pain to take the blade off? i am more a farmer than cons equip guy... so i am used to taking off the attachments all the time. dont know if you could do the same??

  21. #21OneWelder2009-07-26 13:15

    eianewb simple question , with a lot different answers Tilt -non tilt Hyd. tilt Angle blade- straight blade - hyd. angle inside push arms - outside push arms How do you put on off trailer once removed ? would it require separate trip to trans port? If the saddle bolts loosen up - it breaks so a lot easier quicker to move with blade on