Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tools

Mack185 · 2010-01-03 12:06

Well as I stated in a previous post, I'm all registered in Heavy Diesel classes at my local CC. Now that I am registered it's time to register with all the tech. ed. programs for Snapon, Matco, Mac and Cornwell. I have a pretty good array of Craftsman at the house but I find it difficult to pass up the 50% discount I'll get with the tool truck brands. I mine as well take advantage of the discount and student loans while I can. Any recommendations on what to buy? I know everybody's opinion varies but I'm just looking for some general input. Meaning snapon makes the best crowfeet but matco has the best wrenches and air tools yadda yadda. Things like that, thanks in advance.

Replies33
  1. #1Chris917862010-01-03 12:13

    I tend to lean away from the tool trucks because they mark up their tools big time. I'd rather just go to Sears and get Craftsman stuff and save money.

  2. #2Speedpup2010-01-03 12:16

    I agree but now you need to look what craftsman wrenches are made in china

  3. #3Hardline2010-01-03 12:39

    Sockets and wrenches I like Craftsman. For things like screw drivers and allen sockets, torx sockets I buy off of the tool trucks. I like IR air tools. JJ

  4. #4td25c2010-01-03 12:49

    Hi Mack185 ,& congratulations on your getting in school for heavy diesel mechanic.It's a good trade.You will need a few specialty type tools from the tool truck guy's in the future after you land a job.I use allot of craftsman tools,have some mac,& snap-on.Sounds like you already have the basics,thats good.Just be carefull about going "tool crazy" at this time as you are still in school.You will see that the tool companys will all have an "easy" payment plan,Im just saying be carefull about getting to far in debt before you get the job.Good luck!

  5. #5heavylift2010-01-03 13:10

    I have just about every brand there is.... Craftsman tools... well they almost always have a 50% sale going on. In fact I just bought an 18 piece set of screw drivers for under 20 bucks. Pawn shops were the best bang for the buck. but now days it's hard to find a bargain at pawn shops... Auctions and flea markets have great deals... the last auction I went to, beer flats full of tools where going for under 20 bucks... and a few boxes were just snap-on. Snap-on guy here is a real jerk... so guess what.... I don't buy from him ... I buy used or on sale tools.... a Craftsmans is a Craftsmans ... if you paid 2 dollars or 20 dollars...or even 40 dollars regular price. it still has the same warranty Estate sales you can get REALLY good deals at those...

  6. #6rustyjames2010-01-03 13:36

    I'm hearing Snap-On is making stuff in China too.

  7. #7AtlasRob2010-01-03 14:20

    Thats their Tea and dinner service. Tools are still in metal

  8. #8CAT D9H2010-01-03 14:38

    Vise grips are made in china now too:guns

  9. #9bill53622010-01-03 17:42

    I like Matco Tool boxes, I have Matco wrenches, air tools are a mix. I don't like mac air tools, snap on and matco are good. I have purchased grey pneumatic http://www.gpsocket.com/ for all of my impact sockets, they are import (Grey)that I buy off of the tool truck you can also find them on ebay. They are half the price and life time guaranteed, I didn't start buying them until I started having problems getting my broken snap on sockets replaced, I don't feel that snap on is a bad socket, just my last two reps taken forever and in a couple of instance never got my broken ones replaced. Just my two cents good luck in you career.

  10. #10Walt 66A2010-01-04 20:08

    A lot of it is personal choice, like ford vs chevy. A lot will depend on your dealer. Like has been already said, if you have a poor dealer, the warranty won't mean squat.

  11. #11LonestarCobra2010-01-04 21:09

    For me I prefer Snap-On for the most part. One reason is they have always been here for me when needed. They may have a few weeks between visits when they get a new dealer on the route, but they show up. There are a few Mac tools I like, but its hard to get warranty on anything because they never have a truck in the area. I bought my first set of Snap On tools in 1988, and have been using them every day since on heavy equipment repair, and still have most of the tools I originally purchased. There have been a few lost, a few broken and replaced, and some just worn out and replaced. I dont like Snap On air tools with the exeption of their IM31 3/8" impact, IR seems to be the best I have found on all others.

  12. #12surfer-joe2010-01-04 21:39

    OH, thats good! Best laugh I've had all day!

  13. #13surfer-joe2010-01-04 21:58

    If you are going to be using your tools day in and day out, any of the American MADE brands are good. It's been a while since I bought many tools, and at that time, the Chinese and other foreign made or Asian tools were not up to snuff. They broke, slipped, and messed up your hands pretty fierce. But, I've had domestic brands do this too! Exceptions might be Canadian or German tools. Now, well, most folks would be hard put to find an American made wrench or power tool. Sad really! We are outsourcing the heart of our nation. I bought a ton of tools while in college too, very good discounts, and I stayed within my budget for them. Some other fellas, well they went whole hog and had big monthly statements to pay off. Not fun! Stay with just what you need for school at first. The college should have provided you with a list. Pawn shops used to be good. Get in with one that handles a lot of tool and have them set aside some of the brands you want. Got to go by often though, they won't hold them forever. Garage and yard sales are good, so are flea markets. Don't just buy the lot though, just get what you need. Be cautious with stuff on ebay or Craig's List. Some of that stuff is stolen and you do not want to get involved with any of that. Ask some pointed questions if you see any tools with serial numbers ground off or embossed with social security numbers or initials stamped in them. I always stamped or etched my initials in my tools immediately after purchase, and I'll bet I've etched 50,000 tools or more that I've bought over the years for various company shops and mechanics. IR air tools are the Cadillac. I liked Mac and Snap-On too. Mac used to be reasonably priced. New Britain, Vulcan, Cornwell, Craftsman, CAT, Proto, Armstrong, Klein, Rigid; these were all good. Black and Decker, Stanley, Porter-Cable are good electric tools. Mikita is a good brand. Good Luck!

  14. #14heyu29h2010-01-05 09:13

    Practical advice on tools for new machanic Most high wear items should be bought off a tool truck, as your gona wear um out fast and need um replaced often. Things like, Screw drivers, side cutters, plyers, channel locks, torques bits, allen sockets, drill bits (as long as they replace for free), crescent wrench. But other stuff you should definatly not waist your money on a tool truck. Air tools > DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON A TRUCK, But DONT BUY OFFBRAND!!! They dont fix / replace them for any cheaper if bought on a truck. Buy name brand, I recomend IR, they last me the longest, but buy from a local store front or internet on sale. Large wrenchs, 1" and up, Large sockets 1" and up, hammers, and all your impact sockets. Harbor frieght!!!! you can buy online or at a local store front, if you have one near you. These items cost 1/10th the price at harbor frieght and that the only place i have bought them! In 13 years of working on heavy equipent i have only broken 1 of the large wrenches i have bout from there, and they replaced it free. Snapon / macko / mac all charge almost 100.00 for 1 of these wrenches, Harbor frieght 5.00. its a no brainer. Hope my advice helps ya! good luck to ya.

  15. #15Chris917862010-01-05 21:33

    Harbor frieght is the bomb

  16. #16TimHay2010-01-05 21:44

    I always used to buy cheaper stuff, it still had a life time warrenty. But that is not the point. It is when you break it and are in a bind and have to drive to town to get another or what until Monday moring. Now I am older and can afford to buy from snap- on and mac. I am in no way a machanic but the tools off the truck are by far better and more convienient as the truck comes right to my shop now. My next purchase is going to be a new snap-on tool box.

  17. #17bill53622010-01-05 22:16

    Tim, I agree with everything you stated, nicely put. If you have a Matco dealer around take a look at their boxes, I looked at both before I purchased and I really liked the features and draw sizes of the matco, just my opinion.

  18. #18TimHay2010-01-05 22:28

    I never heard of matco. I am trying to buy the box out of the snap on truck he wanys to up grade it and o think i can get it for 2/3- 1/2 prices. But thank you iI will google matco and check-em out Tim

  19. #19OCR2010-01-05 22:39

    Tools: Clever... lol... :thumbsup OCR...

  20. #20OCR2010-01-05 22:45

    Tools: Dang it, the guy won't call me anymore... OCR...

  21. #21rangair942010-01-05 23:04

    Start out with what you can afford. You don’t want to be getting out of school owing all that money for tuition, plus another 20-30 grand in tools. When I started out I could barely afford Craftsman, and I didn’t have schooling to pay for. After I changed employers a few times and started working some place the tool trucks actually stopped at, I started upgrading to better tools. I probably spent about 3000 last year on tools. You can definitely tell the difference in quality from the cheaper ones to the tool truck ones. As far as which brand is better Mac, Matco or Snap On it’s gonna be personal preference. I personally like Snap On ratchets over Mac they feel better to me. Mac offer a lifetime warranty on drill bits Snap On doesn't. There is no right or wrong. It just comes down to what you want to spend, what you want out of it, and so on. I work out in the field so I don’t want to have to worry that I am going to break a tool and not get the job done, so I feel the tool truck tools are better. On the other hand I have known guys that get everything at Harbor Freight and do the same jobs. It just preference and experience. And toolboxes, ya they are nice but I don’t think I could ever drop that much money on one. The biggest one that Snap On makes, just the bottom box is like 33,000. I think the wife would kill me if I came home and said "instead of getting a car I bought a toolbox, it was just a little more than a car cost." But my toolbox is a truck so I don’t know.

  22. #22muneerunisha2010-01-07 01:54

    I too agree you but can you give the proper brand made there.. Thanks... ................ Lifting Tackles Chennai - HJR Tools Mart

  23. #23Dirt Poor2010-01-07 08:51

    I still have most of the Craftsman tools that I started with in 1971, including the roller cabinet and chest. Mac tools furnish a lot of the specialty tools I need, but for the last few years I have bought some tools from ACE and Truevalue hardwares mostly socket sets, some end wrench's, srewdrivers and find the price is good, warrenty is no problem at all, and I think the quality compares with all but the very hi end tools. I see a lot of VERY expensive tool boxes on Craigslist . I can't imagine who buys these 8 and 9 thou. tool boxes! May be I'm cheap?

  24. #24Muffler Bearing2010-01-07 10:39

    Lots of good advice there, also this topic has come up before if you want to search and read other threads on the subject. I think your wrenches and rachets are going to be like an extension of your body on a busy day, so they have to feel good in your hand. On the subject of boxes, I have an older box that sits against the wall, and a nice Snappy cart that comes with me all over the shop. I strongly advise the cart route. I use my wrenches rachets and hammer every day. But my pressure tester, 1 inch gun, tap and die, ect. sit patiently by the wall. P.S I can also tell you a cheap way to get a mobile work stool! mine is yellow.

  25. #25steponmebbbboom2010-01-07 15:19

    milk crates and upside down 5gallon pails are great work stools til you hit 30 and you realise sitting on hard surfaces all those years are how you got hemmorhoids. the cheapest option for work stools are a blow-molded seat cushion that snaps on top of a plastic 5 gallon pail and conforms to your butt curves. easier on the backside and much cheaper than a snap on creeper seat. an old equipment seat cushion set on top of a pail is even cheaper and you can screw it into the bottom for more stability. good luck

  26. #26Chris917862010-01-07 17:45

    I got my box brand new for only 3 grand cause they Mac guy got a ticket for being over weight and had to move the box:

  27. #27cps2010-01-07 18:09

    thats a nice box chris!

  28. #28Muffler Bearing2010-01-07 18:29

    stepon, thats a great idea! I thought i was slick grinding the ridges off, but a cushion! now we're talkin'! yeah sweet box, dig the stainless top.

  29. #29Chris917862010-01-07 19:01

    thanks!

  30. #30crossthreaded2010-01-08 19:21

    Check on the student discount through snap on and mac. Call the tool guy and if they are no help call corporate. Through snap on it is a 51% discount while you are enrolled in school. I wish I would have bought quite a bit more through the student program, as I only spent around 7k on a good set of hand tools. After 10 years in heavy duty equipment work, I have over 100k in tools. It can get expensive if you let it, but I also have snap on sockets from 1/4" to 4". Don't get tool poor, buy what you can afford and stay off the tool truck if you can't afford it. I have seen plenty of older mechanics who are chained to the tool truck to the tune of 200-300 a week. Ebay and pawn shops have good deals as well if you have the cash.

  31. #31heavylift2010-01-08 19:32

    Most pawnshops have 90 day layaway...

  32. #32Bigstevex42010-01-11 17:50

    if your new to mechanicing especialy students the first thing you do is go buy the biggest snap on tool box thell sell you wont have crap for tools but oh that box is inpressive!

  33. #33~0le2010-01-17 01:32

    My only SnapOn tools are ratchets. Everything else is a hodgepodge of flea market finds and Craigslist treasures. ~0le