I have had a basic 12' tandem axle trailer for a few years. Its been used for all sorts. I finally got the "Upgrade" project off the ground but as sometimes happens...not in the so grandios style I would have liked. I need the bloody thing on the road and the budget is restricted so I had to cut a few corners....and I know this will come back to bite me in a... err ...rear. Anyway, fire away with suggestions. Just a word of advice about trailers down ere....whatever they cost in the States double it for us. I have seen all those fancy enclosed hard scape trailers running around over there and they are super cool....but would be hell expensive down here. This trailer will cost me 10K easy by the time its finished. Ok, so the background is: It was a flimsy built tandem, 2 tonnes GVM, with overide brakes and 15" running gear. The axles were good but had welded stubs for the 15" gear so they had to go in order to get up to 3.5 tonnes. I landed a full set of 8 ply 7.50R 16's brand new with steel rims for $200 so that was a bonus. I got new axles, (the springs were good) wheel hubs with electric brakes, breakaway system, new jockey wheel, brake controller, mudflaps, chain, shackles, etc etc for $2K. I already had a near new 50mm bartlet ball hitch rated at 3.5 tonnes offa another trailer. The new axles are well good for 4 tonnes as are the wheels and tyres. The plan calls for two lockable tool boxes which I have had built for $3K. The big box goes full width in front of the wheels with Gull wind gas lift doors either side. The other box is a "coffin" across the drawbar for shovels an stuff. Bob the Builder built the cage, ramps and beefed up the chassis (on a budget that involves me doing some block work in his backyard) Its at the paint shop now but there is still a lot of things need doing. Bob calls this trailer the "Robber's Dog" in account its so ugly. Anyway, here is the before and during pics.
I have LED lights for it and some reflectors. The box on the left side mud guard is for all our stringline pickets, profiles and grade stakes that the truck drivers haven't yet mangled. There is a box on the otherside mudguard for a couple of fuel cans (2 stroke and unleaded). There is also space for a vice to be bolted. The fold down ramp needs the springs adjusting to give it a bit more lift. There is plenty of other hooks, chains and thingys that need adding to hold the gear. I think we will enclose part of the cage to keep the weather off the cement. I'm getting a couple of signs written for the sides of the cage. The tool box for the front has been custom built for a lot of our gear. There is a specific spot for the laser case, qwik Cut and so on. Can't wait to get it back from the paint shop and get the boxes mounted.
I don't think that your trailer is ugly at all. You have it designed to meet your needs. A little paint will go a long ways to sharpen it up a bit.
Thank you Thank you...I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my Mum.... Yep, functional is the word. The extra box section underneath makes me feel better.
I thought you was a stone wall builder but that looks to be for livestock transport........:bouncegri Naw, I like it. As you said functionality is more important than looks. :thumbsup
I don't know why, but the first thing that pop's into my mind looking at that trailer is that it would be used for transporting the booth's at the carinval where you throw a ball too try and dunk someone in a tank of water.:beatsme Seriously though, if that's what you have for now, and it's doing the job, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Paint, and just having it all one color, will probobly make it look alot better too. Is there some way that the wiring going from the trailer to the truck could be contained better. The way they're running now would bug me. I'd want them run through tubing or to have them zip-tied underneith. JMO
Yes I've had several suggestions ...the livestock thing has been raised....I said I'd cart sheep in it and call it the Kiwi Bridal Chariot but my New Zealand bretheren were less than impressed (its a down under joke) Hope so...I'll try and pick it up tomorrow. C'mon...I know we are a bit rough around the edges down ere but you don't seriously think thats the real McCoy??? Sheesh..thats the temporary loom I whipped up to get the rig legally (well sort of legal) from Bob the Boilermakers errant workshop of great bucket creations down to Harry the Blaster Spraypainter man...which reminds me...have to get a carton of lubrication for Harry tomorrow before I pick er up..Thanks for that...Its hot and spray painters get thirsty.....well lubricated spraypainters tend not to write out such big bill I'll run the loom underneath the chassis in underground conduit...you know...the orange one .
That trailer is not for livestock - its for taking all the children to the ball park.:spongebob :waving By they way - anyone here that doesn't try to hijack this thread does not have a hair on their behind.
Needs more hubcaps
Bingo!...Tyler got it...I was hoping someone other than me would think that. They are Nissan 4x4 steel rims so I'll have to see whats available. I didn't get around to picking it up yet.....I was too busy double hauling my equipment from one site to the other on account I don't have a trailer
Naw, it needs some spinners.
Exactly! Does anyone know where I could get some spinners for an artic?
I'll call Chip Foose right away
Squizzy, you've probobly already taken this into account, but just for my curiousity.......... In the one pic you've your mini loaded in the trailer. It looks like it almost centered over the axles. Then you put the cage on it, but the cage is not centered over the axles, but rather more rearward. Without anything on it I would think it might still have some tongue weight, but probobly not much. Does the mini fit in the cage? Are you planning on transporting it in there, or are you going to use the truck exclusively for the mini's moves now? If you are gonna use the trailer for the mini, aren't you going to be too light on the tongue weight, or is it still ok? By the pic's I'd think it might be a negative tongue weight with the mini in that cage, but maybe not.:beatsme
I'm actually a bit worried about too much weight on the drawbar because its been extended and all the tools that will be in the big tool box. I wont be putting that mini in the trailer although at least (weight wise) it would now be legal behind my truck. Nope...the mixer, platey, rammer, block clamps, cement, profiles and all that stuff which is not too heavy but takes up a lot of space will go in the bird cage.
Back from Paint There is still a lot to do..mudflaps, wiring, reflectors, etc etc
So, are the Laura Brannigan albums going in the box, or the cage? Or do they ride up front in the truck with you?
Oh Yea of jest...of course she rides up front...in my heart :wierd :throwup
I definetly wouldn't let a woman of her assets ride in the bird cage. Where did you get that gull-wing tool box with the treys inside? That would be a nice addition to a service truck. By the way where are your spinners? On order?
Looks good..I would get a murral on the front or each side; maybe not a woman though. What would the customers think?? You sure that the mini-ex won't break your ramps though?!? My "?" is how the h*ll did you get the skidsteer on the back of the truck?? (If you didn't build a mound of dirt?)
Yeah who makes that gullwing box, i like it. Would be great to stick behind the cab on a flat bed. Could fit all the hand tools i carry and the chain saw and cutt off saw
Try and pay attention, you guys. Squizzy doesn't go for any of that commercial off-the-shelf junk. Only custom made for him. :thumbsup (Which by the way, my compliments to Bob. They look fantastic.)
that's what happens when I get online in the morning without my first cup of coffee.
(That's ok. I had to go back myself and check that before I posted. I thought that's what I'd read, but I wasn't 100% positive.)
Trailer looks good
Yup, that will do it. Those type of tool boxes are very popular here for tradies http://www.roscos.com/products.php But they are too light and cost a fortune. I had these custom built, powder coated, stainless locks and hinges out of heavier material for less than they wanted for a standard box from some of the big mobs. Tyler, the box has a special spot for the laser, cut-off saw, spirit levels, tripod, power tools etc etc. A place for everything and everything in its place;...well...at least until my guys get to it .... I can't wait.....I'll be in heaven......with Laura Its a go go Gadget copter skid...or maybe we just did it the same as this : I have the designs done for some signs either side of the cage but I'm thinking I should get some for the rear gate. That particular mini will not be going in this trailer anymore. I take the Yanmar or the skid in the truck.
I can just see the wind rushing through her hair.........I digress Chip is a bit busy so the spinners will have to wait. The painters painted the hubs so that will have to do for now.