Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Top Excavators Manufacturers

MonsterToys ยท 2007-11-01 10:36

This is a working list of the top overall excavator manufacturers. I am planning out complete reviews for some of the top excavators from these manufacturers and could use some of your expert opinions. I will publish updates on my blog with the complete reviews, eventually. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 1. CAT 2. Hitachi 3. Komatsu 4. Bobcat 5. Kubota 6. John Deere 7. JCB 8. Hyundai 9. Daewoo 10. Poclain

Replies20
  1. #1DuraMaxMan662007-11-01 15:36

    you could start by covering Case also....

  2. #2ben46a2007-11-01 16:59

    Kobelco is right up there too. Havent seen a poclain in years.

  3. #3LDK2007-11-01 17:34

    Demag, Liebher, Linkbelt........O&K

  4. #4Ross2007-11-01 17:42

    Well you can Remove Cat from the Top Yeah. Must include a few of the above. Ross

  5. #5Dirtman20072007-11-01 18:18

    You forgot a few. How about VOLVO? Takeuchi??? Link Belt? Are there any Poclain's out there anymore?? I have not seen one of those in a while

  6. #6DirectTech2007-11-01 18:26

    Hitachi and John Deere are the same, and definitely Volvo one of the biggest competitors to CAT

  7. #7Wulf2007-11-01 18:34

    So how about: Doosan (this is the new name for Daewoo I think) Yanmar IHI Gehl Mustang New Holland Plus there is a new one beginning with D... from China, some guy was promoting it on HEF recently:beatsme can't remember the name though...

  8. #8Dirtman20072007-11-01 18:54

    here are a few more Gradall Zepplein Hanomag fiatallis Mitsubishi Koehring Bucyrus furukawa dresser samsung kato halla sumitomo terex atlas well that enough for now

  9. #9John C.2007-11-01 20:42

    At first glance I would have to see your credentials. Are you a writer, mechanic, operator, owner, dealer, engineer or what. The list you have provided, as pointed out by others, shows that you don't know much about your proposed subject. I don't put much creadence in people that make pronouncements without seeing what they are made of. What is your motivation? Is your site commercial? Are you associated with another entity? Are you being paid for doing this? Do you have a vested interest in any of the particular companies you are reviewing. Are you willing to be critical of negative aspects as well as the positive ones on each machine? All the trade rags I see today will not print anything negative about a manufacturer and they funnel any crap the manufacturer says like it is from heaven. So what have you got to offer? Personally I have gotten more than enough information from this site and others to satisfy my hunger.

  10. #10tylermckee2007-11-01 20:55

    Have you personally spent thousands of hours in each machine from each manufacturer? Unless you are only making more of a spec sheet for each machine i dont see how you could possibly make an unbiased 'review' of so many machines. I could be wrong though and i'm assuming that your list is in no particular order?

  11. #11mikef872007-11-01 21:51

    How about insley excavators??? Whats wrong with a good ole Detroit diesel! J/K'n

  12. #12Construct'O2007-11-01 22:02

    Click on his link at the bottom of his post,if you want to check things out. I searched his site ,didn't seem to bad and had some info that might be interesting for others to read. As far as the rest of your questions he will have to answer them:beatsme :usa

  13. #13MonsterToys2007-11-02 09:41

    I am an engineer and researcher with a passion in heavy equipment vehicles. Because excavators are not one of my specialties, I am gathering research on them to gain a better understanding. This forum is great as it has already offered me more than I have seen anywhere else. Just as you say about the trade rags is one of the main reasons for this list and refinement of it. I have been around countless amounts of heavy equipment but find this forum to be full of less-biased manufacturer hype. I have no interest in any particular company, just wanted to compile expert information from the scattered opinions on these machines. All criticism, both negative and positive is greatly appreciated. As far as some of the manufacturers I missed, I am aware of them - most were on my extensive list, which I shouldve posted initially. The motive of my site is to express appreciation for these great machines while offering a premise of mutual collaborations. The list was a general list and I should be clearer as to the rankings - any suggestions? Thanks once again for sharing your expert opinions.

  14. #14Wulf2007-11-02 20:42

    Good luck with the blog... nice job so far. One way of measuring hydraulic excavator ranking is market share which is measured in % of units sold within a specific period. The number will rise and fall based on economic patterns but the share will measure the manufacturers performance at consistently getting units 'out in the dirt' This does not tell you which excavator is the best, but which manufacturer sells the most units... in no specific order this is generally based on price, product support, customer perception of the product and its manufacturer, performance, comfort with the staff at the dealer(maybe others can add to the list of why they choose a machine type) I would search for market share in North America and globally to see a true picture.

  15. #15Digger Driver2007-11-03 06:50

    Personally i think pound for pound you cannot beat a japanese import Hitach with the Izuzu engine! Komatsu come in second while Cat have let themselves down for not piping their attachment hydraulics two way! This is pretty much the opinion of most UK fitters i talk to too!

  16. #16Ross2007-11-03 16:32

    Yeah i agree but i would Pop Komatsu ontop followed closely by Daewoo and Hitachi. I would shove Cat right down the list. Other topdraw brands like O&K and Demag only really make decent 250 ton plus machines. (O&K Being the best ) Ross

  17. #17Digger Driver2007-11-03 17:07

    Thats why i said pound for pound! The imports are really cheap and easy to work on! You said the swear word! (Daewoo)

  18. #18tomsa2009-06-01 04:36

    I`ve got a 1979 Fiat Allis SL 9 16 ton excavtor. I still works fine but I am looking for operator manual, service manual etc.... anybody out there who can help? Tom

  19. #19Hendrik2009-06-01 07:01

    Far as I am concerned monster toys lost all credibility to know anything about earthmoving equipment when he put this on his blog http://monstertoys.blogspot.com/2008/02/video-3-year-old-operates-mini.html without any type of warning that this is a dangerous thing to do. Ooooh isn't it cute, little 3 year old Nathan is driving an excavator and tomorrow he is going to be a really big boy and drive the machine when nobody is around because he knows how to start it and use the controls. Won't Pappy be proud to see the little man crushed under the machine after it falls off the edge. Hopefully Mom will have the video camera handy so she can post the end results on youtube as a lesson for those who think that young children using equipment is OK. And why bother with this http://monstertoys.blogspot.com/2007/11/excavator-training.html just give Pappy a call.

  20. #20Hendrik2009-06-01 07:05

    So you must have come across the only ex Japanese machine in the world that actually got greased properly and the filters changed?