Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Topcon RT-5SW?

Jfarris ยท 2011-07-03 20:28

I have used a Trimble 722 for the last 8 years and need to buy a new dual slope laser. Does anyone have any opinions on this laser from Topcon?

Replies9
  1. #1thebaz2011-07-04 23:51

    I have a Topcon RL-100 2S and really like it. Has 800m range and a remote control so you can set the grade away from the laser. It is very easy to setup and I have had great experience with Topcon reliability. The RT-5SW is Topcon's top of the range, so I imagine it would be even better than the RL-100, it is certainly bigger in size.

  2. #2t_dirt2011-07-05 20:46

    I used an older RT-5SA for years and It ran great, stable, good battery life, super accurate. Now i sell them and see how often come in for service, Hardly ever!!! The last few were due to user error!!! Dropped!!! They now have a 5 year warranty!!!! Dollar for dollar i think they are a winner!!

  3. #3HelimanZ062011-07-05 22:34

    Topcon No Longer Supports the RT-5SA While Topcon's RT-5SW is a great laser and the RT-5SA used to be, be aware that Topcon no longer supports or repairs the RT-5SA. None of their dealers, the California location, nor their Japan location repairs the unit if it does not function. Trust me, I know. I now have a very expensive boat anchor. The up side is that the battery pack holder does work on the RT-5SW. If you need a laser that can shoot 2,000 or more feet with amazing accuracy the RT-5SW is your only choice.

  4. #4TheClaw2011-07-15 18:53

    I have been using an RL-100 1S. It is great, and all rugged as heck. It does everything I need it to do. Can not say I have much experience with the rest of their line.

  5. #5Jfarris2011-08-17 17:12

    If they no longer repair them...why do they offer a 5 year warranty? I asked my local dealer and they said that if there was a problem that they would repair it...

  6. #6HelimanZ062011-09-17 21:39

    We are talking about two different lasers. The RT-5S W is currently made and Topcon does offers a 5 year warranty on the unit. The unit that the RT-5S W replaced is the RT-5S A . Topcon no longer supports that product. If your dealer says they do, he is in error.

  7. #7MCLLC2011-09-20 15:19

    Ok so the "W" is a newer version....

  8. #8Shimmy12014-09-13 01:07

    I know this is an old thread but hoping someone out here can add anything. I used a RT-5W last summer. Borrowed a neighbor farmers for a few weeks then found a new one. New one lasted week and drive gear stripped off. Took it back got second one. 1 week that one failed. Bearings for beacon went to hell I assume since it was making all sorts of awful noises and stopping and starting. Long story short got repaired one back this spring (had to go to Japan I guess) and it lasted one day. Now have Spectra GL722. Is there a laser that has more range than the 722? I like it just would be nice to get back to that 2000' mark.

  9. #9luvcatchingbass2016-05-11 12:56

    Check out the Leica 870 and 880 lasers