Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Topkick opinions

GFMotorsports ยท 2013-04-14 16:03

Buying a 95 topkick with CAT 3116 mechanical and 4 speed Allison auto. What should I look out for in weaknesses. It won't be driven everyday just as a hauler from time to time and to pick up aggregates. It has 123k on it now so should I be concerned the CAT will crap out anytime soon? Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1ben46a2013-04-14 16:08

    I like the 3116 better thsn the later 3126. You should be fine for a while. They're not that bad a truck in a medium duty application

  2. #2GFMotorsports2013-04-14 16:11

    I've heard mechanical is a little more reliable than the HUEI 3126. My friend has a nice 05 f650 with a 7 speed with no problems what so ever with his 3126 so I wasn't to scared to pull the trigger on a 3126. This one is a low HP rates one I can tell but still pulls pleasantly well with the ally auto.

  3. #3denver m farms2013-04-14 16:46

    I would rather have a 7spd, but if it's a good truck the auto would probably be ok, and I think the 3116 is a pretty decent engine.

  4. #4GFMotorsports2013-04-18 18:32

    Pulled my NH lx665 and it does decent around town but hates the highway! 55mph and that's it! No more than that for sure. I've heard switching out the dextron in the trans for syn 15-40 oil to help keep the trans cool and handles the power a little better.

  5. #5redneckracin2013-04-22 10:22

    which allison is in it? I have been told that the older ones dont even have an over drive. Be careful to, the 2k series are not rated to heavy. you can take the searial number off the case and plug it in at allison's website to give you some specs on it.

  6. #6GFMotorsports2013-04-22 12:25

    It's the AT545, no lock up I know that and I think a small overdrive. It's a 4.88 rear end I know that.