Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tornadoes in Mississippi.

Kenskip1 · 2020-04-27 01:30

I was spending time on the tube and cam across on man with a video clearing out trees from the storm with his Kubota.Is it common practice to head to storm ravaged areas with equipment to help out and possibly make a few dollars?Here in Missouri we had a Tornado come through the Area a few years ago.I took a ride and saw trucks and equipment from out of state with excavators, skid steers ext.Anyway the Tornados did a lot of damage. Just thought that I would ask.Ken...

Replies4
  1. #1southernman132020-04-27 12:00

    Yes it is. Usually there’s first responders and if it enough damage Fema will take over and higher like one company to manage and sub contract everything. There’s money in it if your up there on the food chain. Many people get involved and the soup starts getting thin. Olof. It careful u can get screwed badly!

  2. #2Kenskip12020-04-27 14:05

    Southermanman,Get screwed badly? How may I ask is going to help someone and be winding up getting screwed badly?All that I would ask is for the owner to pay for my time, meals fuel. If they wanted to be snobby I would simply head out and offer to help someone else.Yes I am sure that there are individuals that would screw others however,I simply want to help families in distress. If my neighbors home was damaged by a tornado, I would be the first one there to help cleaning operations.

  3. #3southernman132020-04-27 14:27

    Basically if Fema took over there would be like one prime contractor they would hire. The contractor would break it down into sections and hire several sub contractors. Some of them subcontractors a lot of times hire sub subcontractors. U could very easily not get paid. Hasn’t happened to me but I know of several people that it has. If your dealing with the home owner that’s another deal and I can make some money like that. It’s normally a zoo in those areas but it can be done.

  4. #4mowingman2020-04-27 19:08

    Yes, what has been said is exactly correct. If the homeowners wait for the FEMA contractor, the hauloff is FREE. I don't think they will want to pay you. Also, better take a tent to sleep in, or a travel trailer, and your own food and water, and possibly fuel. I had a big debri cleanup truck, but could never see how to break even, let alone make money on those storm cleanups. Your thoughts of being helpful are good. However, showing up with some chainsaws or a skidsteer and doing the work for free is how you can help the most.