Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Toro Dingo TX427 Diagnosis and Repair HELP PLEASE

ForkliftkGuy · 2024-11-21 17:33

Hello Fourms, I have a customer with Toro Dingo TX427 mini Skid-steer. The complaint is that it is draining a battery overnight and while running. I have tried to find a repair manual for this thing and have had no luck, even the manufacturer told me they could get one. So I am reaching out for help. The only thing I have checked is for parasitic load. ( Took batt. NEG cable off and checked with volt meter between) Found 1.7V being drawn with key off. I will admit now that electrical diag. is not my strong suit, neither is small engine repair. but any assistance is immensely appreciated. Thanks very much, ForkliftGuy.

Replies8
  1. #1ozarkag2024-11-21 20:40

    Some of this I'm sure you have done but. . . 1 does the alternator charge? Should have 13.8 to 14.5 volts at the battery while running. 2 is the battery new? If not, does it hold a charge overnight if disconnected?

  2. #2ForkliftkGuy2024-11-22 09:18

    1. It does not appear to be at the battery terminals. I'm reading 13.05V with no indication of increase, with the "throttle" set to rabbit. 2. Yes battery is new, yes it held charge overnight when NEG cable disconnected. I am unsure of what wiring to check at for the "alternator" as it does not have one like a car or truck. I believe that it has some sort of stator/voltage regulator thing connected to/at the flywheel. I also do not know what wire should be what and at what voltage. I have included some more pictures, below. Thanks for the help!

  3. #3ozarkag2024-11-22 10:09

    One thing you could try is to disconnect the voltage regulator and see if the battery holds a charge overnight then. I'm suspecting a failure in the charging system resulting in a draw on the battery.

  4. #4ForkliftkGuy2024-11-22 10:34

    Update: After running for 15 mins, voltage has not increased at all but has dropped .02V. Went to check wiring: 2 white wires, 1 purple, 1 black, when I touched the black wire it started sparking and then I began to get charging voltage. I replaced black wire and mounted it on upper bolt down. I am currently getting 14.22V. If the problem persists I will try putting nut-zerks or heli-coiling mounting bolts to the Stator/voltage regulator thing. As it is seaming to be a ground issue. Update 2: Checking for Parasitic load again now i have 13.3V that has slowly ticked down to 8.1V as time passes. is this normal? I would suspect a very little from the HR meter but full voltage seams extreme. Update 3: over the course of 30-60 minuets it has dropped all the way to .71V Thanks again for the assistance.

  5. #5PeterG2024-11-24 21:12

    Is the battery draining overnight? I had a similar issue on my Toro Dingo TX425. Would run great, then turn the machine off. Come back the next day and it seemed like a dead battery. Would not even turn over at all. I replaced the battery etc, but it did not help. Ended up needing to replace the the two relays by the fuses. See #4 below. Confirm that is the correct parts number your year of TX427. RELAY Part #: 98-7249 Quantity Needed: 2

  6. #6ForkliftkGuy2024-11-25 14:14

    This is awesome. Thank you for the assistance.

  7. #7Zewnten2024-11-29 08:16

    Charge and load test battery first with everything else disconnected. If it holds a charge then start looking for a drain. There's only a couple fuses on this machine so pull them and see if the draw stops. If nothing changes then pull the charge and exciter wires off the alternator. Does the drain stop?

  8. #8Simon C2024-12-04 18:09

    Zewnten ​ Charge and load test battery first with everything else disconnected. If it holds a charge then start looking for a drain. There's only a couple fuses on this machine so pull them and see if the draw stops. If nothing changes then pull the charge and exciter wires off the alternator. Does the drain stop? Simple test is to do as Zewnten suggested above. Do you know how to run the parasitic load through your meter in the Amps scale with the test leads in the proper holes. You will have to move the red test lead to the left side 10 amp port with the pointer turned around to the DC current setting. Then put the black test lead onto the negative cable and the red test lead on the negative post. I have a small brass alligator clip that grabs the post easily and then hook the meter lead to it as it is difficult to hook meter leads to large battery terminals. Let us know how many amps are going through the meter. Might be a good idea to test with a 5 amp ATO fuse holder between the cable and battery post first to protect your meter in case the load is heavy. It will blow the ATO fuse and not your meter. Simon C