Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

torque adapters

Randy88 · 2013-03-10 03:53

Does anyone make a torque adapter with a 1/2 inch square end and boxed ends on the other end. I can only find 3/8 drive one's, nothing with the 1/2 drive. Any help would be appreciated

Replies25
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-03-10 06:28

    If this is the style you are looking for Snap-on has them. I think they are 1/2" drive. Here is a link to the set. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=631798&group_ID=674854

  2. #2Randy882013-03-10 06:38

    Are those for bolts or just spline shafts?

  3. #3Tinkerer2013-03-10 08:14

    In the product specifications for that particular set in the link I posted it has ---Set, Torque Adaptor, 12-Point (5 pcs.) (5/16" to 9/16"). I would think it refers to bolt and nut sizes(12 point). I am not a machinist, but I would guess splines can be a cut with a lot of different profiles and numbers in / on any given shaft diameter. Also if they were for splines wouldn't they specify that ? Randy you may already know this , but I believe that when you use those adapters that there is mathematical calculation used to compensate for the added length to the torque wrench. I think I have that information somewhere in my garage if you need it.

  4. #4Nige2013-03-10 10:03

    Randy they're for bolts. Often used on things like valve gear where a socket won't fit. You have to use a correction factor on the torque wrench because of the length of the adapter. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=631798&group_ID=674854 Because of the type of use these things get put to being generally low-ish torque I would imagine 3/8" drive would be more common. Snap-on certainly don't list any 1/2" drive versions.

  5. #5Randy882013-03-10 10:43

    I was told if you have the adapter 90 degree's to the torque wrench, you don't need a correction factor, only when its in a straighter line do you need the correction factor, or is this wrong, and if so, where do you find the formula for this? I swear years back I saw, helped and talked to a guy working with a torque wrench, large one, who had a set of them for say 3/4 or inch drive that was torquing down bolts on a machine, he had a full set of them, even different versions with square drive male and female ends on so he could get his torque wrench on hard to get at bolts and torque them down. He's long dead now and I never paid close enough attention to see if its something he made or bought, but I was sure he said he had them all, for 3/8's up to inch in drive size, but now nobody knows anything about them or having ever seen anything like it on his sale his widow had, she can't recall anything, she knew nothing about any of it then or now, any idea's, as to even how to go about making them?

  6. #6TOM V2013-03-10 11:28

    Randy, Caterpillar has large torque wrench adapters and extension sets that work with the 3/4" Snap-on or Cat torque wrench. They are in the Cat tool and shop products guide.

  7. #7Tinkerer2013-03-10 11:29

    This is a link to Snap-on's user manual. It is about the same in regards to the extensions as the one that came with my Husky brand wrench. http://alltorqhydraulictorque.com/pdfs/equipment/Snap-On-Manual.pdf

  8. #8SE-Ia Cowman2013-03-10 17:57

    Randy you are correct there is no corection factor when the adapter is at a 90 degree angle to the wrench. unless there was some flex in the adapter it's self.

  9. #9crane operator2013-03-11 09:15

    Randy, If you go to ebay and type in swench in search, it will come up with some sets that have the adaptors in them that your looking for. Not all the sets have them, and actually the swench wrench itself is pretty cool too. They're kind of a big hand impact, with a spring loaded handle, that doesn't smack the operator too. I think they are mostly military surplus, for dealing in the field with big tight bolts. Unfortunately, most of the sets are 3/4 or 1" drive which may be bigger than your looking for. I find it amazing that the 3/4" versions are rated at 750 ft lbs, and the 1" at 1000 ft lbs, and they've only got a 15" handle, no cheaters required. I see you're also looking at big torque wrenches, I would probably buy a used one on ebay, they're 1/2 or less the price of new and if you get a dial type of the good ones, just have it tested and you're good to go.

  10. #10excavator2013-03-11 11:32

    Check the Williams Tool website, SnapOn bought them out several years ago and they now sell some of the larger tools SnapOn used to sell.

  11. #11Randy882013-03-12 20:05

    Well I need a 15/16 box end, and a 1/2 inch square drive on the other, cat only offers a 7/8's as the largest box end for any adapters they have, nothing in the size I need, williams doesn't offer them at all, near as I could tell, the swench doesn't offer the size I need at all, so its onto plan B, make one somehow to work. Thanks anyhow guys on all the idea's.

  12. #12excavator2013-03-12 20:23

    I have a 15/16 box end, 1/2" drive but there is no name on it. I think it came from Deere but can't gaurantee it, the problem with Deere tools is it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get anything. I've built many different torgue adapters in the past, as long as you can weld good and are a bit careful, you should be OK. SnapOn dropped many of their more unusual and larger tools when they started having Williams build them. I've got a number of SnapOn tools that are no longer available so have be careful not to loose them.

  13. #13excavator2013-03-12 20:35

    I dug up an old JohnDeere Servicegard tool catalog and the number is JDG625.

  14. #14Randy882013-03-12 21:17

    I'll check with them tomorrow, any idea what is was used for on deere equipment, they usually ask anytime I've ever tried to order anything from them, actually I never gave deere a thought on this one at all, about the only place I didn't try. Thanks for the information excavator.

  15. #15excavator2013-03-12 23:05

    Used to torque the spindle to steering knuckle cap screws on 50 series row crop MFWD (Z-F) axles.

  16. #16Nige2013-03-13 07:16

    Randy, The Cat 15/16" torque wrench extension 1/2" square drive is a 9U-6282. It measures 2" long from centre to centre. Is that long enough for you..?

  17. #17Randy882013-03-13 08:38

    Nige, no its not long enough, I was just to cat yesterday, they told me nothing in that 15/16 with a 1/2 square drive is available anymore from anything cat, the guy told me what was from years past was discontinued now and could no longer be ordered. I was hoping all the cat stuff had different lengths available to choose from, so the conversation ended pretty quickly after he told me nothing was available anymore, that fit the configuration or sizes of what I wanted.

  18. #18Nige2013-03-13 10:06

    Randy, your Cat dealer is incorrect. The 9U-6282 I quoted above is showing as 5 units available in their main parts warehouses in the Central US, priced at $137 each. Just a shame it won't do what you want.

  19. #19Randy882013-03-13 10:17

    Yes your right Nige, just called with the numbers, its not listed under the torque adapters where we were looking but in speciality tools, can get it to me for 145 bucks but its too short. Excavator, called deere with the part number, the had someone take measurements and its 3 inches they claimed center to center, would probably work fine, but its a discontinued number no longer available, only the dealers that have in their shops have them. So its back to fabricating one, got some ideas now by asking and looking and we've now got a plan as to how to build one. Thanks guys

  20. #20oldtom2013-06-22 07:30

    Snapon have both 3/8''&1/2''dr 5/16''-9/16''in 3/8'dr&=1/2"-3/4"dr listed in there catalog

  21. #21Randy882013-06-22 08:17

    We ended up going with a different plan, we made our own adapter, using a 15/16th's combination wrench, put a nut in the boxed end and pressed the wrench straight, then took a broken impact socket and cut everything off but the square drive and welded that to the open end and we had a torque adapter or a cobbled up version of a torque adapter anyhow. It worked fine, just looked ................... well, cobbled up, don't think snap on would want to try to sell ones just like it, but there are times when function is more important than looks.

  22. #22ih1002013-06-23 10:36

    It is possible to knock this type of thing up, and much quicker than trying to buy an off-the-shelf tool for a one-off job. You just have to be cautious when you're using it when you are relying on your own welding. I've made these torque adapters by welding part of a ring spanner onto a socket using either 312 TIG filler or 312 SMAW electrodes depending on the size of the adaptor I was making and never had a failure. As far as Snap On goes, at one time they would make up one-offs (at a fair old price). Has this changed? Got to say I think Snap On no longer warrants what you pay or the name. In the UK you can get guaranteed for life good quality tools from other suppliers for a lot less.

  23. #23Ferdinand2018-03-05 16:33

    I know this is a long dead conversation, but should anyone stumble into it looking for the same thing as I did, there's a fairly cheap adapter you can buy or fab that solves this issue forever. It's made for motorcycles by a company called Motion Pro PN: 08 0380 It is just a 3/8 drive hole cut into hardened steel that has a way to clamp into any open / box end wrench. As you can attach it to the far end of a large wrench, the extra leverage you get allows for a lot of torque out of a 3/8 drive wrench. I've used it on up to a 1". You could probably fab one for 1/2" drive easily enough.

  24. #24MinnesotaDave2018-03-05 16:41

    That's pretty cool Ferdinand, for special stuff I cut off an old wrench, and the top of an old extension, and weld them together. Little black rattle can and it looks like it was made that way

  25. #25GaryHoff2018-03-18 00:36

    Interesting tool Ferdinand. Not sure that it would hold up to 200ft/lbs or so that is likely being put on the larger bolts. Would probably work very well for smaller hardware. In regards to the original post, I didn't see anyone check the metric version for 15/16", which is 24mm, which is probably the correct size to use anyways, as all the ZF stuff I have seen is metric. With that being said, this post is so old, that this specific tool may not have been in production by snap on at the time. I would also assume that 6" length wouldn't be too long either. https://store.snapon.com/Torque-Adaptor-Adaptor-Torque-24-mm-6-long-1-2-drive-P644908.aspx Similar proto product also available http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Precision-Torque-Tools/Interchangeable-Head-Torque/69a05970-99aa-4081-83c3-a3450139cbff_Proto®-24mm-Box-End-Torque-Wrench-Head---H7-Tang/JH7-24MB_Proto®-24mm-Box-End-Torque-Wrench-Head---H7-Tang/