I have a Case W20B with an Allison TT2221-1 trans. It has always struggled to get up my driveway (about 15% grade), and I just would deal with it. Now it refuses to dig going up a very small incline, and it can't make it up my driveway. While roading it: going up a grade it slowed way down, but the engine rpm's remained high. Going down a grade, it sped up, but again the engine rpms did not change. Is the torque converter bad?? The parts and Op manual says that this machine should have a 4 speed trans in it. It only has a 2 speed. I'm guessing it was swapped out before I got the machine. If the trans has to come out to get at the TC, should I look for a 4 speed to put in it?? If so, what model #.
The failure mode for bad torque converters is to continually run hot or to put copious amounts of aluminum filings into the transmission oil. Sounds to me like you have more than one problem in the drive train.
The online Case parts book is only showing one transmission for a W20B. According to the Case literature it has ---> Is it possible it isn't up-shifting due to a linage adjustment or a defective part in the shift control valve ? You can read and / or download the literature here ----> https://assets.cnhindustrial.com/ca...s/cce_WL_W Series_W20B_specs_06-26-2009_2.pdf
OK, I need to start at ground zero. I don't have a temp gauge on the trans and didn't see any bits of metal last PM. I need to find somebody that knows how this is suppose to work and take it to them. I have played with the linkage in the past and got no change. Lots of John Deere mechanics around, but not too many Case guys. This is when living rural sucks, I may have to take the machine 200 miles or so.
I have pretty much the same trans haven't looked at it yet,maybe call these guys
Do you have an operators manual for this thing? how about a repair manual? I'd be sure the fluid level was correct, and that you're getting it in the proper gears, and then call whichever Deere mechanic you think has the most experience, it's not that different that I'd haul it 200 MILES to get to a Case mechanic who might not remember these systems anyway.
I have an Op and Parts manual for a "C". Mine is a W20 B
You need to check your shift linkage. They get pretty hard to find all the gears,also have pull up on shift lever to get to the higher gears.
If it has the same shifting lever as a tt2422-1! How does it work in verse ? Torque converter pressure 250lbs plus? I think you are in high gear Disconnect the shifting linking at the transmission, use a pliers to move the shifting pin,it should lock into position at 4 points,all the way in is verse, next one out is neutral, third is low gear,fourth is high.
Here is a link to a fraction of the online parts book. ---> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...c0cb255b&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr68335ar736608 also a couple of screen shots of your shifting arraignment.
Hey Brandt I know this is kind of a late post on this but did you figure out anything on you W20B? When shifting for road gears lift up on shift lever to go past stop for third and fourth gears. Be sure you are using correct fluid in tranny and it is at right operating level.
I haven't done much with this machine as my 955H has a bad turbo and is getting all the attention. I have played with the linkage in the past - to no avail. I have an old school mechanic going to look at it sometime in July. Tinkerer - Thanx for those last pix and link. That might help out.
Like I said when you move the shift lever to the stop just pick up on it and move it again.
Yup, I do that to get it into third gear. Seems I'm missing the second and forth gears
One may not notice when the loader uses second or fourth it shifts automatically so smooth it is not notice .
It still doesn't explain why the engine rpm stays high and no power is getting to the wheels
Stupid question, but have you checked the transmission level while idling. My old **-70 did the same thing,,oil was too low.
Yes, and I even dumped all the oil, put in a new filter and put in new oil