Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Torque converter on komatsu D75S-5

jey_c ยท 2013-09-02 11:34

I am testing the inlet pressure of the torque converter but It was zero. I tested the transmission pressure on the filter and it gives 20 bar on all speed and at neutral. The machine dosen't have enough power so I was wondering if there was something wrong in the torque converter. Is it normal to find zero bar inside the torque converter?What should be the pressure in the converter at low idle and at high idle? Any help will be appreciated

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2013-09-02 19:38

    I haven't work on those machines but generally on a torque converter the inlet setting is just a relief valve pressure. We used to only worry about the outlet pressure. i've seen other Komatsu machines run as low a 5 PSI but I think 15 PSI or about 1 bar was the spec. Do you have overheating issues?

  2. #2jey_c2013-09-03 00:53

    you know it is an old machine, the convertor oil temperature gauge is not working, but the oil is burned, it changes color and it smells bad. I thoyght there should be more pressure on the outlet of the torque to let it work properly.

  3. #3jey_c2013-09-03 00:58

    In fact, I remember very well that on D155 bulldozer the input should be around 8bar and the outlet around 5 bar.

  4. #4John C.2013-09-03 20:56

    I never had a torque converter go bad on a D155 so have never had to check them. I did time on D375, D85 and D65 and don't remember them being that high but I could just as likely be wrong as be right. From what you are describing it sounds like a bad converter to me. Is the paint on the outside of the converter housing a little brown instead of yellow. There could very well be a lot of internal leakage. Also some of those units are three stage instead of the usual single stage that Cat and International used. I had a D85 once that would over heat when sitting still idling and wouldn't cool down until you stalled the converter.

  5. #5jey_c2013-09-04 00:04

    Well, the paint is yellow and I checked the oil filter and no sign of aluminum particule. I think It is the transmission because the pressure drop when oil getting hot.

  6. #6MrKomatsu2013-09-08 20:23

    normally when oil gets hot and pressure drops is the pump......just sayin