Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Torque converter rebuilding

Robert M ยท 2007-06-29 17:16

I finally got the 500 IH tore down. My no go problem is in the torque converter. IT cleaned the splines off inside for the shaft that runs back to the reverser. I've got a call in to a place in Mentor Oh. But don't expect to hear back from them till Monday. I know this small spline shaft is a weak link in the drive line now. I keep looking at it and keep considering taking it to the machine shop and having them chuck it up in the lathe and cut the weld of so I can open it up Looks kind of sad siting there in pieces doesn't it? Figured I had it this far apart I would inspect the clutches. They look pretty good. There is a stack of shims in the clutch pack. wish I could find info on setting it up. I would be willing to bet some of them could come out. Any one got any idea what oil is supposed to be in this beast for the tranny?

Replies12
  1. #1Jeff D.2007-06-30 00:11

    Robert, I can't help you on the shims or the fluid, but am curious about the dozer. I've never seen an IH500. What's it's year, operating weight, size motor, etc? I don't know IH's dozer model numbering so......from the pic I'd guess it's "around" the size of a 450JD maybe??:beatsme Good luck on your parts search, and getting her back to doing some pushing. If you have a pic when it was/is all assembled, I'd like to see it.

  2. #2Robert M2007-06-30 06:32

    It is about the size of a 450 maybe a bit smaller. 3 cylinder diesel 35 hp if I remember, 3 speed transmission with hydraulic reverser. We never have figured out what year it is.

  3. #3Deas Plant2007-06-30 07:08

    Woddyearrizzitt?????????? Hi, Robert M. If you can take a serial number over to Redpower: http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php they may be able to help you with the year. Ditto with parts sources. As the name may imply, they're a bunch of International addicts over there, not that there is too much wrong with being addicted to IH. It's certainly nowehere near as bad as being addicted to Leyland Marina cars. They've gotta be one of the worst vehicles that God ever let anybody pump fuel into. I think you will have to register there to be able to post, but it's free. Hope this helps.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2007-06-30 08:16

    Deas, you're forgetting the Legendary Leyland P76 ...did you know you could fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot?.....it was called the "fuel reserve".

  5. #5Deas Plant2007-06-30 08:51

    Old Age Not THAT Far Advanced. Hi, Squizzy. No, Mate. My old age is not THAT far advanced and I don't have old-timer's disease THAT bad - yet. I AIN'T fergitting the 'legendary P76'. I just regard the Marina as an even worse pile of pus than the P76. With all due respect to our British readers and contributors, most of whom I doubt had any input into either vehicular disaster, Leyland managed to foist a few examples of poor design on an unsuspecting public before their demise but I think these were two of the worst, with the Marina taking the Grand (Booby) Prize. Mind you, there are some surprises among the contenders for this prize. I have a friend (Does THAT surprise you?????) not far from here who just happened to own 3 VW vehicles when I first met him 2 years ago. He now has only 2 of them. I would guess that he has spent more in repairs on those 3 Veedubs in those 2 years than I have spent on ALL the vehicles that I have ever owned. And he calls them 'real cars'. HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't you find it a bit strange that, with all the duds that Ford has produced (Ford backwards stands for Driver Returned On Foot.) over the years, we should pick on 2 of England's 'finest'?

  6. #6Ross2007-06-30 10:17

    So this is the problem? Any damage to the shaft? Or are you making sure this component wont fail in the future? What a joke. :thumbdown Ross

  7. #7Robert M2007-06-30 23:52

    Deas, thanks. I forgot about redpower :duh Ross The shaft appears to be fine. I think what got me in trouble is it has end play. Where it attaches to the clutch packs for the reverser it has a pin that goes in it to hold it in place. I can move the shaft in and out about3/8 of inch. I think what happened is it got slid back there for not engaging the splines in the torque 100%. I guess I want to open it up more out of curiosity than anything

  8. #8stumpjumper832007-07-24 21:39

    help for an old ih If I were you I'd contact jensales for an old service manual maybe a parts manual too. Also Joseph industries may be of help with that torque converter. I don't know exactly who made the one that ih used though. I did send a twin disk to them for some special attention though. Hope them people can help you out.

  9. #9Robert M2007-07-24 22:16

    Thanks stumpjumper83. I need a service manual bad. I have the parts manual. Found a place out of TN called Dacco Transmission. It's on its way back as we speak oh though I haven't got the bill yet. The TC was made by Borg-Warner

  10. #10stumpjumper832007-07-25 21:13

    Glad that I can be a help, are you having trouble finding parts?

  11. #11Robert M2007-07-25 22:49

    I had some trouble early on finding some seals for the final drives but got it sorted out, that was 9 years ago when I first got it. But I got that sorted out. UPS was here today and I missed them. With shipping and COD it came to $135.61. I can live with that! Right no I just have to reassemble it. The joystick control for the blade needs some attention but that can be fixed with some fab and machine work. Need to gather up a bunch of O rings. Again easy stuff, in fact real easy just hand them to wifes cousin who works in a hydraulic shop and have him bring then home. Same with the new hoses I need for the tranny cooler and new suction and pressure line for the hydraulic pump since I have easy access right now. hopefully by this time next week she is alive and well and in the woods skidding out some logs

  12. #12Robert M2007-07-27 17:10

    Well I got it in my dirty little hands today. According to the invoice they just exchanged it. Dacco part number TT358 Write that down folks you may need that info one day! Dacco Transmission parts http://www.daccoinc.com/ 1-800-443-2226