Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tougher than a Pacific?

ChrisBIGDoer ยท 2013-06-19 12:18

Uncommon at best, you'd be most likely to see this make of truck hauling logs in the forests of British Columbia Canada. Rare or competently unheard of elsewhere, this one was spotted in Alberta, next door to BC and it's an ex-coal hauling truck. It's a 1982 model P12W3. Talking to those who have driven these trucks the consensus seems to be there are none tougher than a Pacific. Read more... http://www.bigdoer.com/9323/old-things/a-rugged-pacific-truck/

Replies14
  1. #1Andrew_D2013-06-19 12:38

    If you see that second picture in your rear-view mirror, better start praying! Andrew

  2. #2D6 Merv2013-06-19 21:08

    A lot of pacifics actually made it to the bottom end of the 'pacific ocean' [NZ] as loggers P9 I think was very popular in the 70s and the P500 was quite popular in the 90s. And I still reckon would have to be one of the best looking trucks to ever make it to our distant shores

  3. #3Andrew_D2013-06-19 21:23

    Oops! I meant the third picture would be scary in the rear view!!! Andrew

  4. #4wilko2013-06-19 21:49

    An outfit moved in some big pieces of dam parts (like a dynamo) close to here a while back using those. One of them blew a rear end on a pretty good grade so it was pulled off the road in a wide spot. Went and looked it over, was pretty impressive.

  5. #5glenlunberg2013-08-24 01:33

    That's awesome! It looks like a monster! That dump truck can surely carry lots of objects and it can finish lots of work!

  6. #6HSV1272013-08-24 05:01

    Do you remember the one that was floating around in the Kaingaroa Forest with the motorised trailer in the mid '90s? Don't think it was around too long, dust caused too many problems for the trailer engine...

  7. #7HSV1272013-08-24 08:22

    This is the one I was talking about, P510S, truck+trailer=1000hp, could carry over 200 tonne of logs. Here's the link: http://www.xtrucking.co.nz/lmagee.html

  8. #8Andrew_D2013-08-24 08:36

    Interesting. Looks like the second engine was in the belly of the lead trailer?? I'm guessing that it drove only the tandem axles of that trailer? Andrew

  9. #9HSV1272013-08-24 13:38

    Yeah that's how it worked Andrew, sorry I can't find any more info on it, took me ages to find those pics haha.

  10. #10D6 Merv2013-09-03 03:47

    Lance and Nolan magee are still around they run magnum construction; own a heap of lizards [ts14s :notworthy] The pacific and trailer was sold in 97 in ritchie bros one and only nz auction here. no idea where it ended up.

  11. #11ktl dig2013-09-05 04:07

    mike lambert bought it and was going to convert it to a tri drive and do away with the second motor

  12. #12Donns2013-11-03 10:37

    Great pictures of a Pacific. The first time I saw a Pacific Tractor was in 1980 in South Africa. I was erecting a Marion Dragline in the Transvaal and parts were coming in through the port at Durbin. South African Railways were using these tractors to pull a Goldhoffer with the larger parts to our site. I recently completed a job in Mississippi where Burkhalter had a similar setup to move large assembles to and around the site.

  13. #13Taylortractornu2013-11-03 14:32

    Donns what part of MS were you working in? There's been a large tandem engine truck spotted around here.

  14. #14Donns2013-11-05 20:38

    Taylortractornu I've been part of the Kemper County Project since January 2012. My contract finished on 30th August 2013 and I have made 2 extra visits there since. My interests were mostly the new Liberty Mine project and the coal handling facility at the power plant. I actually represented the Mississippi Public Service Commission there.