Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tow package?

Brandt ยท 2016-03-16 14:01

Does the tow package on older Galion and Hyster compactors work?? I'd like a double drum but don't have a low enough trailer to get it on. Do the older units with the tow package work or was it just a marketing ploy?? I'm going to use this 50 hours a year and can't justify $10K for a rubber/steel machine. Tow package like here: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/9172595/1987-galion-s4-6b Does an axle come down to support the weight of the machine?

Replies5
  1. #1mitch5042016-03-16 22:26

    The state of SC had a bunch of them, they seemed to work real well going 20 miles or so at 45 mph behind an F600. I don't know how they'd do farther, faster, or with a smaller truck.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2016-03-17 06:33

    TXDOT ran them for the smaller jobs. I would assume the design is sound as they were owned by several state DOT divisions.

  3. #3CM19952016-03-17 07:04

    ALDOT had them as well back in the eighties. Like Mitch said I would think they would work well at slow speeds.

  4. #4Brandt2016-03-18 00:32

    OK. Most of the time I will be going 10 miles or less and below 45 mph. The only time I would need to go further is if it had to go in for major repair. In that case I would pull/push it on to a trailer.

  5. #5Low Flyer2016-12-15 15:31

    I know this thread is about 9 months old, but I wanted to answer with 1st hand knowledge. The tow packages absolutely do work. I know because I just bought a Galion S4-6A and that is how we towed it. The only thing that was an issue for me was that the roller's hitch fit loosely in my pintle hitch. If I was going to tow it again I'd modify the roller's hitch to be a better fit in my truck's pintle hitch. And by the way, I towed it with a 1 ton dually 4x4, and never exceeded 25mph. The stickers on the roller say to never exceed 35 without ballast. There is a similar warning for towing with ballast, but can't remember what it is. I seem to think that it says never exceed 5mph with ballast, but I'd have to check it again to be sure. I know this is late, but I hope it helps. Gil