Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tow rating, GMC Topkick

Willie B ยท 2018-03-31 09:00

I have a 1990 GMC Top Kick 7000. It has Cat 3208 10.4 litre turbo V8, Allison transmission. GVWR is 28000. It has air brakes. Current trailer is electric brakes, but I'd need a different trailer anyway. What are the limits I could legally tow, or safely tow, whichever is less. It'd be 3 miles of reasonably level 50 MPH speed limit highway between two parcels I own. I don't mind driving 20 MPH for this. I'm tempted to buy an old excavator that weighs 16 tons. If I have to depend on a mover, it'd be a factor in the buying decision. Willie

Replies3
  1. #1JD88752018-04-04 10:58

    Are you pulling off a 5th wheel or a hook? I move my 953 on an air brake dual tandem pintle hook trailer pulled by a single axle air braked IH 4900 crew cab dump with a dt466. It's no speed demon but I've never felt under braked. Im looking to pick up an excavator myself and have been looking in the 120-140 class. My 953 weighs about 32-33000 working weight. John

  2. #2Willie B2018-04-04 20:19

    Pintle. It is getting a flat dump body for versatility. I'll need a new trailer as mine is rated to carry 9 tons. The Top Kick will replace the 6500 pictured in my avatar. The old truck with air brakes, and electric trailer brakes handles well my 8 ton backhoe on a triaxle trailer, except the engine. I'm usually at 3600 RPM with the throttle on the floor in some low gear. The old truck is a gas 427 truck motor, a Hell of a motor, but out of its class. The new truck (1990) is a 31000 Mile fire truck rust free with 10.4 Liter turbo 3208 Cat engine, and an Allison transmission. I'm not expecting a powerhouse, but am expecting less terror that I'll run out of power on a steep hill in low/low.

  3. #3JD88752018-04-05 07:59

    I would think more the bigger challenge would be balancing it on the trailer. You'll need a pretty long trailer to balance a 160 so it doesnt all become tongue weight, or worse yet take too much off the tongue. Got room on the truck for a tag axle to add another set of brakes? The 3208 isnt going to be a monster but there's lot of old tandem trucks running around with a 3208 hauling 15+ ton a day....