I have a 90 GMC Top Kick 7000 28000 LB GVWR. It has Caterpillar 3208 Turbo V8 Diesel, air brakes, Allison transmission. I'm considering a 31000 LB excavator. I'd move it a few times a year, over near level road at 20 MPH. Can I do it?
It will do it but it will definitely be more than what's legal you will be real close to 60000 lbs if not more I personally wouldn't do it with that setup you open yourself to a big risk in liability Is the machine 31000lbs or does the book say its 31000 lbs
What you use for a trailer is going to be the deciding factor.
I used to haul around a 160 Hitachi Zaxis series on a 20 ton Hyster tilt deck behind a Kenworth tandem dump. I don't think I would try it with a single drive.
I have my international 4700lp with a dt530e and an md3060 allison, hydraulic brakes, 17k rear and I think it's an 8k front axle with a gcwr of 37,000lbs. I don't know if that's helpful or not.
I figure 50000 GCW. I'd need a different trailer. It's a tough decision, an excavator would be much nicer to move earth than the backhoe I now use. It wouldn't replace the backhoe, and most of my away from home projects need both loader, and hoe, and aren't big enough to warrant $600 or more hauling fees for a big excavator.
Good point. That is what the book says.
If the book says it that machine will be heavier by a few thousand pounds
OK, plan B it is.
Why not just have Seth walk the excavator to the job.......
We are famous these days. The Town of Mount Tabor....I'm unclear of the exact statistic....more traffic tickets per capita, or more per officer. One way or another we are the national record holder. We (the town government) hires an out of town rent a cop to run a speed trap. He'd frown at a 16 ton excavator walking down the highway at maybe 1 MPH.
Oh come on, I'd bet that any full size hoe would do atleast 3mph!
If it's just a few times a year, hire it hauled. No way you could come out on purchasing a trailer, license, inspection, etc for that little use.
I once walked a Link-Belt 5800 8 blocks on a city street in January, didn't leave a mark on the pavement. Had a cop stop me 100' from the last turn off, He said "You cant do this" I said "why not? its a construction zone, check the signs, we own this street". He walked away shaking his head.