I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these things but I wanna start my own little excavating business. I have come across these little "towable" excavators or backhoes they're made in Quebec and can be towed behind a vehicle as small as a car without the need of a trailer. I've been thinking about getting one as the price for one is less than an equivalent sized Kubota excavator and they have enough hydraulic push to power and auger never mind a concrete breaker. They have a number of models including two walk behind units one on tires and one on tracks. I want a larger self propelled unit, but the only thing I dont like so far is that they dont have 360 degree swing. I was wondering if you guys had experience with these kind of machines? http://fcm-group.com/produits/excav_remorq/excav_remorq_en.html They don't have all they're models yet posted as they're kinda slow to update they're website but the parts and components are all off the shelf make repairs easier. Here is they're youtube channel displaying they're different models. http://www.youtube.com/user/fcmgroup
Sorry but it look like an expensive replacement for a shovel.
Theres no weight behind them so I dont care how much power they say they have they don't have the weight to use it.
A point to note is that the base machine appears to have 4 main controls e.g 1 lever for each function as opposed to a normal excavator which has 2 controls for the main functions, therefore not as productive to operate and could possibly be a bit jerky when operating. Get a demo and let us know what they are like!!!!
Somehow I don't see any of those units as the main money maker for an excavating business. Might be good for mafia thugs who need to go into the woods and are too lazy to hand dig all those shallow graves.
hmm... finally a decent reply. I saw one at Princess Auto and they are available with conventional "two stick" control. When I get a chance I'll ask if I can demo one of these machines. I still might go with a conventional tracked unit like a Kubota K-008 or a KX41 but they are quite a bit more expensive.
Looking at the video of those machines they look like they are built for the hobby style farmer who wants to dig some small holes around his yard. They don't look like they would hold up to everyday digging. Looking at how the controls work on them they look very choppy. I don't know how close to house you would want to be with those. It looks like all the controls are very basic. If Princess Auto sells them then you know their not build for every day construction use but rather the hobby farmer market. Most of the holes that I saw them digging in looked fairly sandy and loose. Soils in Winnipeg area are heavy sticky gumbo. I think you would be better with the Kubota if your serious about starting a excavating business.
I really DON'T mean to insult you. But small backhoe/excavating service with proposed "unit" more like a handyman service for setting out shrubs and flowers at best. No real digging will be done with it. Growing up my dad had an old Ford 6000 select-o-matic tractor, with a backhoe attachment. Now it would dig a little.(a lot better than a shovel)but when I was old enough to venture out and got on a Ford 555 3cyl backhoe, what a difference, then a John Deere 750 WOW. Then a small excavator made them all seem sick. Let alone a real excavator 20,000# or more. I'm telling you this to hopefully save you from being sadly mistaken. Best of luck.
As others have said, it is the weight of the machine that determines it's digging power. A quick look at the specs would suggest it is equivalent to a KX008, a KX41 would eat that thing for lunch. They are comparing it to a Tak 1.5 tonne unit but are not willing to talk about break out force, digging depth and such. http://fcm-group.com/produits/excav_remorq/comparer_en.html A lot of their points are rubbish: Environment and landscape friendly Optional thumb lifts heavy loads Lower maintenance cost Anyway in the world of excavation you pay for what you get, personally I would recommend a second hand 1.5 tonne ex with at least 4 buckets and a quick hitch, a thumb can be build easily enough and as finances improve you can buy an auger head, rock breaker, etc.
I would think maintenance costs would be very low with these units cause you would never use them
The thing with these machines is it looks as if you need to partially dismantle it to get it to fit through a standard doorway whereas a K008 would only require you to narrow the undercarriage e.t.c. (e.g. time taken) This and the fact that it may not be self propelled (depending on model) could mean that you would need an extra person on site with you to help rebuild it and move it around to be productive hence an additional cost for you and your potential customers. Best bet would be to start with a K008 as you can go anywhere with it and can use it on bigger jobs but just be prepared to possibly have to work 1/2 a day free when using a micro on a job that a 1.5 ton could do so you stay competitive and get the work -eventually if work dictates get a 1.5 ton machine as well. Can you get other size buckets for the wheeled diggers? - as you know many people run a couple of different size buckets with each machine as this aids productivity and flexibility (I have 7 for my K008-3 plus a breaker!!!!)
My buddy bought the plans and built one of those towable hoes. It has to drag itsself around to move. It has an 8 horse power BS engine. But I have to tell you, for digging a straight line, it was awesome for what it is. It dug as well and better than most tractors with backhoes of similar size but it was not very moveable over distances. I put the bucket in the back of the pick up, and lifted up and drove it across the property to the next spot. I dug about a 1000 feet of water lines with it at my place, and I really liked it for what it was. We ripped up old septic tanks, and stumps. this thing had far more ripping power than it should, and had to beef it up, and turn down the hydraulics. My buddy still has it and we have been using it for years. We call it the inch worm. Do not think you could make any money hiring yourself out , but for a homeowner not too bad. My buddy built his for around 2400.00 bucks. I will try to post some pics.
Well so far only one person has stated he had some experience with a home made one. As for buckets yes you can get different buckets and it can come with a quick hitch and if you actually watched some of the videos you of seen the auger and the concrete breaker. I went to the Kubota dealership near my place and I asked if they can fit an auger to they're machine and they said no. Same with Bobcat I think the smallest machine that can have an auger is the X325 according to the sales rep.
Oh, we're just having fun. ...and trying to talk you out of it. It looks like it lacks mobility and versatility. It looks like it would be okay for trenching, but nowhere near as productive as a ditch witch. Small foundation jobs would be a chore and loading a 1 ton dump would be difficult with the limited articulation. You can always rent until you're ready to buy.
Do yourself a favor and rent a small mini excavator like the 1.5 ton suggested. Then rent a 2.5 ton model. That thing isn't an excavator or a backhoe, its a hydraulic back scratcher, and weeder of the flower bed. 1. they don't weigh enough 2. they are a pain to re-position 3. A 3' deep trench will take forever to dig because your operating near max depth 4. from the people they have in their video operating them, they are going to be jerky 5. Don't waste your money... get a real piece of equipment like a jcb micro, or a kubota 08, komatsu 09 Yes, I know you want us to say, "that looks like it would make a million dollars" But the truth is that it will not. Remember those of us giving opinions have nothing to gain or loose which ever way you decide, we are just giving our honest opinons. Most of us on here make or have made our livings moving dirt, hauling dirt, and maintaing the machines that do the moving and hauling. watch this guy dig, then view the video of what you are looking at buying... YouTube - Yanmar VIO 55 Mini Excavator Moving Dirt YouTube - mini excavator who would you hire?
I would like to drive one to see how they dig, I mean just because it is relatively unknown doesn't mean it will be useless - I tried a JCB micro once and that was very bulky, jerky and generally not nice to drive and that was a JCB!!!! The towable excavator would probably be most suited to flat ground which doesn't hold water when wet.
I have no idea just what kind of work you plan to do with your company, but I would most deffinently recomend a small used mini ex if you watch the auctions and what not you can find a decent machine for around 10 grand. I have no experince with a machine like this, but I can tell you that I would be more efficent and more capable using my 450 vermeer trenchers front backhoe to use as my main digger. My trencher weighs right around 2.5 tons and when I hit a root over 2 inches its going to take some skill to cut through it and once you hit 3 inchs all its going to do is drag you forward until you get an axe out.
YouTube - www.HigleyMetals.com Ph.763.438.0356 Another contender :beatsme
Strott, you say that you expected something other than that from JCB.:beatsme
I've been making a living myself running excavators from the tiny KX-41 to the John Deere 800LC. As well running wheel loaders, track loaders, and once in a while skid-steers. As well having a class 1 driver's license hauling mud, dirt, sand and gravel. But really what I was asking is does anybody have any experience with one of these? To me a ditchwitch is only good for putting in utility's, like gas, power, and telephone as that's what they were designed for. And all that video showed was a guy who's never operated a backhoe or any kind of excavating machine aside from a "mexican dragline". That's like when I meet new operators who tell me a thumb is the best thing in the world for an excavator, then they find out if you try to put any other attachment on your maxed out for weight when you extend your boom and stick and out or that it gets in the way when trenching.
digger dan... same production and no fuel cost...
Don't forget ..better controls too.
Well ya know - Optomisim and all that Lets face it there are plenty of JCB minis around so I wondered if I was missing something!!
To be fair those videos certainly are not a fair comparison - look on you tube for all the 360 minis being driven by people and you will find many operators are no way near as productive or smooth as the guy running the yanmar vio55!! The fact that we are comparing a towable digger to a 360 mini is unfair as they are totally different animals (hence the price differential) and as the OP has stated he just wanted to know if anybody has run them - maybe we should just be comparing different brands of towable excavators but it appears nobody has any experience with them let alone this brand!!!!
I had an "Badger" made in Idaho. Bought it at an auction from a utility company that helicoptered them in to remote sites. 10 or 11 hp gas engine coupled to a small pump.Six spool controls and basic hydraulic function. Mid eighties is when it was built and this was made before the mini's showed up.Would dig about eight feet and I don't remember it being too hard to move but you would tear the ground up dragging it around. and had a set of towing wheel that you could convert to pads. It was better than a shovel and a friend borrowed it to dig cabin foundation at a remote site and took it in in pieces in a small plane. With the low weight you get into places that anything heavier would sink.The cost to buy is considerably less but you get what you pay for. I ended up chopping it up and making a hoe for my skidsteer. which I used until I could but a mini. I would consider it to be the seed that started what we know now as the spider-hoe. With modern technology you could make the same frame pretty efficient but it would not replace a mini. They do dig better than you would think. Scott
Thanks that's much better somebody with legit experience. lol Do you have any pictures of it before you chopped it up?
You are going to laugh at this. I shifted the out rigger setup to the back board and the hoe itself is on a turntable mounted on the triangular frame. This allowed me to dump back by the rear wheels of the skid.. I had over the tire tracks that would make the machine pretty mobile. I could lift the whole set up in the air to climb banks and steep grades. Used it mainly for digging hard ground so I could move with the skid. The out riggers and ram are off another jd 24 that got scrapped. Part of the lift arm of the scrapped skid is in front of the tires. Scott
Iwasn't smart enoughto take pics of the machine before I chopped it up.
oh cool. lol Yeah I want a digger that I dont have to spend too much money up front that way if it doesn't work out at least I dont lose everything.
Ok..Laugh if you want.. I will defend the Little Digger. I built the ,"Thing" about a year ago, for around $1800.00 To date, I've pulled 70 plus stumps out. On a good day,I can pull 6-7 stumps. 3gals of gas and 1Qt of oil. It's a poor man's toy, It will work.
Yeah better than doing it by hand. lol And I would know I've done it more than a few times in my life time. Here's a couple of other manufacturers these ones are American. http://www.feterl.com/Pug/htdocs/dig_it/ctb_models.htm http://gofor.homestead.com/ And here's another Canadian one this time from the B.C. http://www.candig.com/firstpage.html
Pretty much the mini excavator market is crashed or still crashing. Go on craiglist and pick up a newer one someone bought last year for the price of these.
Anyone have any info on the Komatsu mini excavator? Specifically the operating linkage under the control arm?
You should probably start a new thread with a model number. Komatsu makes a wide range of mini excavators.
If someone can weld here is an alternative. Uses rear spades as anchors for better tearout force. http://power-fab.co.uk/product/360-towable-excavator/
"On site it uses its hydraulic excavating arm to pull itself forward, backwards or side to side" Like this:? I'm with Sheriff Rick on this one...I'd apologize and shoot it too...
or like this :-D https://youtu.be/oXz0Nlt1WJE
All these units are the same, digging in soft,loam,sand soil pictures.you don't see it trying to go 100mm in semi to hard ground do you? Because they cant dig even partially hard ground, at the end of the day they are an oversized,overpriced Tonka TOY.
I shall let the videos answer for me https://youtu.be/xVkaY2zh0jM https://youtu.be/-Z-7QO51dy0
Like I said soft ground digging only, the second video on showed digging back filled ground. W.T.F.?
Well the first video showed some rocks being dug that I wouldn't want to dig by hand. Horses for courses. A Cat 301.8 is a toy compared to a 320 which is a toy compared to a 385, etc. If someone can do the job with a towable, fair play. If they're digging rock, most people have probably worked out they'd need something a bit bigger, but thanks anyway for adding to everyones' knowledge of earthmoving, Garrie.
Yair . . . I seem to recall our member Metsaman posted some pretty impressive digging pictures with one of those little jiggers. Cheers
I have a run a DRPOWER towable backhoe with about a 17-19 horse motor on it….No offense to someone who owns one, but it kind of felt like a joke, it had 4 lever controls and was jerky, and a real pain to move around, it had no options for attachments and the bucket was only about 12 inches wide. it was to light weight to be productive in harder soils, and it would not lift high enough to load a 1 ton dump truck or even a larger pick up truck. if you want a smaller machine, get a 2000-6000 lb mini excavator. you can put almost any attachment on any small excavator, it is just making sure you have the right pin on/quick attach set up and proper auxiliary hydraulic plumbing. A good welder or fab shop can make attachments fit…
My old thread brought back again. lol And of course always a few ignorant posts from people in the U.S. surprise, surprise. Hey Murphy777 I have heard that many of DRPOWER's products are pretty useless I noticed they also don't have much of an oil reservoir or even an oil cooler while many of the towable machines I've looked at all come with a decent sized reservoir and oil cooler so maybe that's why they don't have much for available attachments like an auger or a breaker. At the time when I posted this thread I was thinking about getting a towable backhoe for some personal projects as well for some little side jobs like one I did for my sister last fall when I trenched in a power cable from her house to her new garage. I ended up renting a beat up Bobcat 324 for the job with a 12" bucket. Sadly if I had wanted a clean up bucket it would of cost me extra. I also could of used it this spring to landscape her backyard but ended up doing the whole job by hand which took several days instead of just one. Also at the time I only had a car with a very limited towing capacity, it's only been recently that I have upgraded significantly to a 3/4 ton diesel truck so if I wanted I could likely tow a trailer with a larger machine like a Cat 303.5 or Deere John 35. I also noticed recently a French-Canadian company from Quebec has started building a towable 360 swing excavator kinda like the old Powerfab machines, just too bad the legs aren't hydraulic like a Menzi Muck. http://www.fcm-group.com/en/orbit-1200.php
When I was a kid old boy bought a towable Cranvel (thats what they called it here). Dug out walls for underground tank and foundations for house. Ground at olds is pretty flat here and clay. The first foot down the clay was hard and took some scratching to get thru Yeah it was a toy and not suited for someone who is trying to make a living from it. Of course moving it was a bit of a pain. Didnt get to play with it in rock, but as others here have said, you need weight and rigidity when the going gets a bit serious. In town it took several hours for an experienced guy to dig my sewer trench in ground with up to dinner plate sized rocks. What looked to be chalkstone with some sandstone mixed in. Old mining area, so can get all kinds of stuff from various depths compacted as fill in ones yard. Looking at the tandem trailer he bought the excavator here it wouldnt be any more than 2 metric tonnes. Would had liked trench a bit deeper, but he would have been there a darn lot longer to go deeper. Pretty much sums itself up.