Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

towing a 1991 740 grader with 8400 p/shift trans

coastlogger · 2019-01-23 23:40

Having some electronic trans controller issues and worried about getting stuck blocking the road. Can I tow this unit without damaging the trans I wonder?

Replies9
  1. #1rondig2019-01-24 00:42

    Yikes...well not near enough info to determine that...

  2. #2coastlogger2019-01-24 10:52

    The electronic controller sometimes fails to engage trans. Im working thru diagnostics and am pretty near fixed. Just wondering,if its in neutrel can the grader safely be towed to a wide spot?

  3. #3rondig2019-01-24 10:56

    All of the powershifts i own have a powertrain disconnect....but i am not sure about a 740.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2019-01-24 21:42

    I don’t remember what it says in the book. I have towed them a few miles a low speed.

  5. #5DB22019-01-24 21:53

    Wouldn’t likely hurt to yoink it out of a bad spot. There is a microswitch in the shifter that can fail and not show up as a code. I found this out by banging the shifter lever in frustration.

  6. #6laycobeau2019-01-25 11:23

    See if it will start in gear when it fails. that switch is power to start relay in neutral and to the solenoids in gear I have info on the 8400 if you need it. Beau

  7. #7coastlogger2019-01-26 02:06

    DB2 is that the microswitch on the bottom of the cotroller that signals neutrel position? or is there another less obvious one?My problem was a bad connection going from a relay to that switch. After chasing my tail around for awhile I ran a new wire and all seems good.

  8. #8DB22019-01-26 12:28

    Yes I believe there's only the one

  9. #9dallou2019-01-28 23:01

    as long as the engine is running it is ok. because the transmission pump is still keeping lube pressure up