Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Towing a bobcat 773G

pajibson · 2021-01-15 10:18

S/N 519019939. Have a machine with a bad Engine and nee to move it to where it can be worked on. downloaded the manual but couldn't find how to unlock the drive train to tow it. Can anybody help? TIA

Replies4
  1. #1phil3142021-01-15 10:42

    Don't think the 773G has a bypass like some. So, if it's a short distance, you can pull/drag it slowly or drag it up onto a trailer. or pick it up with another piece of equipment and move it or load it onto a trailer. If it's a longer distance and you cant use a trailer, they you'd need to disconnect the drive chains or the drive hoses. Saw someone slid one once on the hood of an old chevy truck like a toboggan. But beware the downhill, it goes wrong fast.

  2. #2Staggerlee2021-01-16 07:55

    I just did the same thing, moving this CAT 246 My plan was (and I will tell you now it did not go as planned) tilt bed car hauling trailer with 12k winch and snatch block pulling, Case 680 (I think? Big nonetheless) backhoe pushing. We used soapy water to wet the deck of the trailer, hoping to reduce friction. Loading it "kind of" went as planned. Unloading it was where the **** show started. Plan was to tilt the trailer (still hooked to the truck), use another truck to drag it down off of the trailer and onto "car dollies". (4) dollies per side. Well, the dollies didn't handle the weight and their wheels failed to aid much in moving the machine into my shop. Ended up using my old plow truck to basically "man handle" it inside the shop. Hindsight being 20/20, I believe I would have had better luck with the dollies, if we had not attempted to unload directly onto them. Although all (8) of them combined were rated to handle the weight of the machine, unloading directly onto them, exceeded the weight rated of the dollies as the machine came off of the trailer. We should have unloaded directly onto the concrete, them jacked the machine up, installed all (8) dollies, (4) per side under the tracks, then lower it back down. That would have been the only hope the dolies had to survive. Out of (8) dollies used, (4) were destroyed, (4) other wheels were destroyed. My plan was based on the assumption the machine would move in straight lines as it was drug / pushed on and off the trailer. In actuality, it was all over the place, based on which track had the least resistance at the time. But at the end of the day we got into the shop, with no ER visits. Live and learn I guess. Next time I know what to do different.

  3. #3Flat Thunder Channel2021-01-16 10:42

    It's the getting it off the trailer that gets interesting. As mentioned above I had and interesting time getting my 843 off the trailer. It was a wheeled unit. Getting on no problem, used a winch a couple scrap pieces of sheet steel and ATF. Lots of lube helps here! I thought I could just drag ît off. Didn't work so hot. Got tipsy on the ramps. Be careful take your time and it can be had with enough gumption. This reminds me I need to get that mobile winch setup.

  4. #4TriHonu2021-01-18 03:03

    It depends upon the hydrostatic pump. I have a 763C with a Sauer Danfoss hydrostatic pump. I downloaded the service manual from the Sauer Danfoss website. The manual describes the procedure to allow the pump to bypass allowing the drive motors to "free wheel". You also have to remove the parking brake since it is a separate device that locks the drive line. I have never tried the procedure. I have attached an extract from the Sauer Danfoss manual I downloaded. It has the applicable information annotated in yellow.