Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Towing a D5G

marka683 ยท 2018-05-11 15:48

Is there a way to release the drive on this dozer? I am trying to get it on the trailer, unit runs but I have no charge pressure only hydraulic functions. I would like to haul it to my shop for repair.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2018-05-11 17:02

    D5G towing procedure.

  2. #2marka6832018-05-14 12:12

    Any chance you have a parts book for this dozer? S/N 5GPFDH00553 Thanks

  3. #3MHDim2018-05-14 12:50

    (Printed) part books can be ordered from your local Cat dealer, or occasionally found on ebay at modest prices. I'm not sure if there are any official part books in digital (pdf etc) format, apart from the information given in Cat SIS (Service Information System). But it would take a great amount of time to extract ALL the parts info for a certain machine from SIS, in order to obtain the equivalent of a digital parts book for the respective model. In your case, the relevant s/n is just FDH00553 . What parts do you need...?

  4. #4marka6832018-05-14 12:55

    looking for the coupler breakdown at the hydrostatic pump drive thought if I saw the breakdown i'd be able to determine if pulling the engine is the best approach to replacing the coupler.

  5. #5d9gdon2018-05-14 14:11

    Here is the parts breakdown picture: Notice it says Flange - Nylon!

  6. #6marka6832018-05-14 14:31

    So what do you think, pull the engine or pull the pump to replace the nylon?

  7. #7Nige2018-05-14 14:42

    Try here. $88 for a Parts Manual on CD. https://servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=FDH00553

  8. #8Bluox2018-05-14 16:59

    That flywheel cover looks like it has motor mounts on it you might have to pull both at the same time. I've never replaced the pump drive on one of these but I have on a bunch of shovels and the gear on the pump is always wore out too and that's the expensive one 3 - 4 hundred $.You might call your Cat dealer and ask them. Good luck Bob

  9. #9MHDim2018-05-15 02:55

    I never performed this, but according to Cat, best approach is to remove the pump. See attached removal procedure. Good luck!

  10. #10marka6832018-05-16 09:09

    Decided to pull the engine and leave the pump hanging by a strap with a come-along. It worked well, the nylon is bad. Glad my diagnosis was correct. Thank you everyone for your help!!