Hi anyone here tried pulling a trailer with a skidsteer? My asv has a reciever hitch on it. I am doing a wood thinning job and was thinking of loading my dump trailer with our yanmar vio35 and pulling it to the road with the asv. I cannot get a truck in there. I would assume we would have to load the bucket and not overload the trailer. The asv is around 7000# the dump trailer empty is 2500# and is 6x12'. I know the asv has just under 4 psi of ground pressure the lot is on a slight side side hill. Anyone tried this or have any input? Thanks
Well a 4x4 pickup will weight about 7k pounds depending on the pickup, so your good there for weight of tow vehicle. And skid steers are not race cars so if you kept in it low range you shoudl be ok. Try it on the level first. Also, dont go monkeying around on a wet side hill with that set up, might get you in trouble. On second thought check with your asv dealer and see what the hitch is rated for...
yeah I was going to check with asv as to the rating of the hitch. I guess my my concern is that the asv has such a short track base in comparision to my superduty which is 23 feet long. I am wondering if the weight of the loaded trailer will just cause it to try climbing ( or a wheelie). I was also looking to see if any of you guys had a stump grinder mounted to your machine. What brand... pros and cons. I am also interested in a chipper that runs off the high flow of the machine. I watched a video of it on you tube but as usual they put dry straight wood in in for the demo. salsco 826 w/skidsteer option was the unit. anyone used one of these ?
whats your intent, to compete with a dedicated chipper or stump grinder or just as an added tool for the homeowner / rancher?
flat firm ground shouldnt be a problem but up and especially down hill could possibly do damage to drive motors from over speeding! towing long distances may heat up the fluid so make sure your coolers are clean.
I've pulled a Bandit 255XP around a deer hunting property with my RC50. I think it weighed in just under 8000lbs. There were some normal rolling hills and the machine handled it well. I would have probably struggled on steep hills or in real wet muddy conditions. BTW...I don't think the PT60 has highflow unless Terex just released it.
I have towed a few things with a PT60, mostly pulling vehicles out of mud and it handled it okay. I would say it has the same pulling power as a 5000-6000lb truck - traction wise and its only 60hp after all. A nice flat run with a trailer would be fine but I wouldn't suggest going off-roading with it.
Thanks everyone. Pulling the chipper is what I wanted to hear.