Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Towing an equipment or dump trailer without a weight distribution hitch

Brandonc1787 ยท 2018-03-18 13:40

Hello I have a 2015 F350 SRW Crew Cab Diesel and a brand new PJ 22ft deckover equipment trailer. I was wondering if the guys that pull equipment trailers or dump trailers use a WD hitch or not. My trailer has a built in toolbox on the front and it seems like a WD hitch is too much of a hassle. Does not using a WD hitch effect the structure of the Ford OEM hitch? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Junkyard2018-03-18 13:47

    Being an equipment trailer you'd have the ability, in most cases, to load it such that you would not need that style of hitch. You tend to see them on campers and enclosed trailers which don't allow as many options for load placement and also catch a lot more air, especially a cross wind. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll learn pretty quick how it likes to be loaded. I don't see any reason running it one way or the other will affect the hitch provided you don't exceed its rated capacity for tongue weight and total trailer/load weight.

  2. #2Brandonc17872018-03-18 13:52

    Thanks for the info, I just looked at my OEM hitch and it says with WD it's rated for 19k with a tongue weight of 1900 and without 8500 and 850 pound tongue weight. I was just curious as I see many guys pulling equipment trailers with the factory hitch and this is my first superduty and equipment trailer.

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2018-03-18 16:47

    By using a tape measure and measuring from the hitch to the ground with the tlr empty and the measuring the same with the load on, you can soon figure how much or too little tongue weight you have. I'll guess 2-3 inches of drop would be about right. Mike

  4. #4redneckracin2018-03-18 16:55

    Gotta have enough load on the truck to be able to control the rig in a panic stop. Too little axle weight and the truck can't stay in front of the trailer. One of the things a WD hitch does besides keep your hitch from bottoming out is put some weight on the front axle of the truck.

  5. #5terex herder2018-03-30 22:22

    I have that trailer and pull it with HD2500 Chevys. A seat and a half pulls it better than a standard cab. I have a weight distributing hitch and I have never used it. Your heavy, long truck should have no problems.

  6. #6Bumpsteer2018-03-30 23:03

    Don't recall ever seeing a wd hitch on an equipment trailer....as others said, you move the load to get your tongue weight correct. Ed

  7. #7renovator2018-03-31 20:20

    The use of a WD hitch increases the rating of a hitch. I had a WD hitch on a dump trailer that I pulled behind my old F-250. I got the hitch because my license stated that I could pull a trailer up to 10K with a standard hitch and 12K wd. (Most guys around here pull up to 14K on a standard hitch.) I figured if something ever happened, a smart lawyer would figure that out and nail me. Having said that, I came to love the WD hitch. At first I would adjust the chains on the tension bars according to the load (empty v loaded). After some time, I found a happy medium and didn't bother with adjusting the tension. I felt the the pick up handled better and it gave me peace of mind. I didn't find it a hassle at all.