Ive been clearing a build site over the last few months and have come to the realization that my old non runnin Cat Ht4 track loader is sitting on a spot that I need to remove a tree and make use of the several cubic yards of dirt.. Two problems I see right off are the weight of the loader (about 13,000lbs) and the fact that its on a grade(downfacing) with the bucket /blade against the tree. The Cat was left in neutral when I parked it there about 4yrs ago. It has a draw bar in rear and some kinda reinforcing/structural bar up front.. Does my excavator an ex120 have the power to pull this back up the grade a bit or have any of you guys an idea of getting it moved about 40'-50'.. I will get a pic up tomorrow evening to better explain the situation.
A lot depends on what kind of grade your talking about... 40-50 feet should be no problem for a 120, unless the grade is pretty steep!!! but I don't know that I would pull it with the drive motors... personally I'd use the hoe to do the heavy pulling and *inch* it up the hill about 10 feet at a time.
Will do it easy
Your ht4 weighs 18,900lbs, more if it has the counterweight. A bare d4 is 12-13,000. Dont pull on the top grill guard Go on the front hardbar in between the radiator track frames then run under the bucket. That will get the bucket up and pulling on the frame. Those holes on the sides of the radiator at the top, boom locks. Put a bar in there with the boom up. Backwards go on the drawbar. If things are thawed good as those 7u D4's usually have water in the transmission, it should roll easily
Thanks for the replies guys...here's how she sits
DoyleX, 18,000 lbs.?..are you sure? ..any info I've seen over the years puts it at a bit over six tons... So pull it at the draw bar? Will it require a special size chain?
1/2" chain ought to be fine... double it if you like. yes, I'd go for the drawbar and fasten to the hoe bucket so it can't come loose if you get too much slack! do you have any kind of provisions on the bucket or end of the stick for a clevis?
Yes my track hoe bucket has a clevis hook welded on..looks factory to me My track frame has a hole punched thru it near the swing bearing..can it be utilized?
I would pull with the bucket NOT with the frame. Pull ht4 with bucket then anchor bucket in dirt then move 120 tracks away from bucket while bucket stays in dirt holding ht4 from moving once you have moved about 10 feet bring bucket out of dirt and commence pulling another 10 feet using just bucket and repeat until you have moved enough. Make sure you have the chains secured so they can't pop off if you get a lot of slack or something else happens because you don't want the ht4 to come loose and freewheel down the hill!!! just in case This is how I would do it.... it could probably be done by just straight out towing it using the drive motors on the 120 but not knowing your machine I wouldn't do it that way... I have seen drive motor hoses blow and other things on excavators from pushing too hard when you got really good ground engagement and pushing more than the machine weight so I am a little cautious in that I like using the most powerful system on the machine to get the job done.
Thats great advice Ronsii..I just thought maybe if I towed with frame I could also swing 180° and plant the bucket in the ground and pull with both stick and drives.. But I think I will try only with bucket..do that and hope my hoe doesn't get pulled towards the ht4 being its a sloped grade
Without seeing it in person hard to say what would really work the best, pulling with both might be necessary if your tracks are locked up just to get started... hard to know til you try Is going downhill or crosshill an option? because I have have turned similar sized machines with our 120.
I think if you can't pull it with the stick, get something else to help. Not worth risking damage to the drive system. Most excavators aren't designed for pushing/pulling heavy loads.
Thanks for everyones input but noticed some bad goings on with the ex120 today..well to begin this past week while using the machine I heard some awful metal scape noises only to look down the lower cab window and see my track about ready to come off the front right idler..happened twice and both times I was able to reverse the derail and go about my business..I did stop work after the second incident and pump some grease in the tensioner though it wasnt really all that loose...So today after it happened again I did a thorough inspection of that side track..well what I found was several track bushings crushed or completely gone..just completely puzzled about what has happened.. I knew when I bought the ex120 a few yrs back that it had a few cracked bushing but dang its really bad now.. So once the bushings break down like that is it a domino effect or something.?? There has been some shale and sandstone in the dirt I've moved but seemed soft enough.. Thanks again for the replies but looks like I'm gonna be taking it real careful with tracking the hoe..especially on hills
Once the tracks start to go they keep on going.... just be careful on turning the machine and if you don't know how to turn using the bucket I suggest you figure it out and do most of your turns that way when standing on the sprockets... It's a whole lot easier than putting the tracks on all the time less wear n tear on the machine undercarriage also have you priced out a new undercarriage yet? most places should be able to set you up for just under ten grand on the cheaper stuff(for parts).
Ok there ..thanks for that..back when I purchased the hoe the previous owner demonstrated turning using the stick but I can't say that I've ONLY done it with the sprockets on the ground..I do believe there has been some track skipping on that side while tracking and it's been loud enough at times that I jumped out of the cab and looked things over lol.. And can't say i have looked into track pricing but can imagine I'm in for a hurtin on my wallet