Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Toyota 4SDK8 Skidsteer – Right Wheels won’t unlock

Nick009 ยท 2018-11-05 01:35

I'm having trouble getting my right side wheels to move. They've been a bit touchy for years, but I little rock forward or back has always done the trick. Now the right side seems to be locked for the most part. If I put the parking brake on and then release it I can usually get about a metre or less of movement before it locks up again. When it moves, I can hear a "ka-thump, ka-thump" sound each time the wheel goes around, and it looks like the link jiggles in time with the "ka-thump". I've been reading the manual and I'm imagining that the brake lock pin is kind of half stopping the sprocket from moving properly and that is the "/ka-thump" sound I'm hearing. I really don't know if this is true though. Either way, I'd like some advice on how to get the machine moving again and also what is the "ka-thump" sound and how do I stop it. Thanks, Nick

Replies5
  1. #1Nick0092018-11-13 00:06

    So when I can get it to move, it sounds like this.... Does this sound like the brake pin is bent or not quite unlocking correctly? OR a mate suggested that the chain may have stretched. would that sound like this?

  2. #2happygolucky2018-11-16 07:10

    I am not familiar with your machine but if it has chain drives for your wheels I would inspect them first.

  3. #3Nick0092018-11-18 09:19

    Hey thanks mate, I'll give that a shot first. I'm guessing that involves draining oil from around the chains? I'll check the manual. Cheers

  4. #4Nigeljohnboy2021-06-30 05:07

    Hey Nick009 What was the outcome to this Mine just started doing the same thing Thanks

  5. #5Nigeljohnboy2021-07-02 20:26

    Hey mate what was the outcome mine is doing the same Thanks