in 2018 I bought a Toyota FD 150 15 ton forklift. During the inspection the engine had a little clicking noise. the hood of the engine compartment was covered with noise canceling material and the gasket of the oil pan of the engine was leaking. the was in good shape and working condition. My intended use was loading and unloading heavy machinery so not 8 hour a day use. where I drove off the low loader I saw that the engine was leaking oil badly. his is what turned out to be the biggest problem after removing the oil pan: under the injection pump somebody mounted a sheet metal plate to cover a hole big as a fist in the block. from inside the crankcase you could feel the hole and the sheet metal. the surface of the block where the oil pan was mounted was broken. they used a lot of sealing compound to cover the uneven surface
The engine was not reparable in my option. I considered to buy a used Toyota Dyna Truck engine from Australia. but with basically condition unknown and very high shipping cost this was not a good option. in Europe a Toyota 2d Diesel Engine is basically unknown.
before dismantling the engine I had to deal with a spacial setting of the torque converter in that forklift. the torque converter is connected only to the engine to stay in place. there is only a propeller shaft from torque converter to the transmission. I made a bridge holding the torque converter in place once the old engine is out.
from that point I started to think about a used engine. measurements and output should be approx. the same and the old Toyota 2D 112HP 6 cylinder max 2600rpm. my car mechanic had an MAN truck without documents in his yard. after taking some measurements I bought the engine. today I would probably had done more research before but it turned out to be the right choice
the forklift with the old engine
the empty frame
the new engine MAN D0826 155HP from 1993 6.9liters displacement
what then following was taking measurements and making drawings for a machine shop to make the flange between engine and torque converter, the flange for the fan from the old engine to mount on the water pump of the new engine and the flange mounted on the flywheel to connect the torque converter to the flywheel.
here are some pictures with the new engine already fixed in the frame. at the time I had a building with overhead crane. I had to lift the engine maybe 25 times in and out to check every details cause in the end all links to the frame had to be done differently than before
New Engine
the oil filter did not fit to the frame cause there was the steering cylinder located external oil filter was the solution
as I have already said I use the machine just loading unloading. no long use with full speed I didn't thought much about he output difference of the engines. when I would do that for an excavator or wheel loader the setting for the radiator should be calculated more carefully
in this Thread HeavyEquipmentForums there was the discussion if this is easily done. it isn't . you have to do the work of the manufacturer without the drawings and the full knowledge. it took almost a year and several thousand € to do that. Sure I didn't work full time on that project cause I had to make a living but the amount of hours was in the hundreds. was it worth the effort? for me yes I use the machine for my own work. for selling it the effort was too much. here some pictures of the machine working at my customers site
Engine swaps are always a lot of work. I've done a few crane repowers. We did two cranes exactly the same, 3208's to Cummins 8.3's. the first one took 6 weeks, by the time we figured out all the parts we needed, and had it back up and worked. The second one was only two weeks. Thanks for posting, I always appreciate pictures.
6 weeks? this is fast. which cranes? the Grove TMS you posted about in your crane thread?
why did you swap? the 3208 were worn out and no parts available?
I used to have two tms250's. I went from 3208 to 8.3 for torque and reliability. I also did a grey market grove with a daewoo to l10 Cummins. I used to work at a place that took two groves, a tms 300 and a tms 375, one got a l10, the other got a 400 big cam. It's only worth repowering if you want to keep the crane for a while and can't afford newer/nicer. I couldn't afford to do anything else, and needed the crane, so I repowered. I don't own either of the 250's any more, but I know where both are, and last I knew they were both still running.
What does a Grey market machine mean? Designed for export abroad and then Reimported to the US?
Affordability was also the issue for me and the condition of the rest of the machine
Grove built the upper for Korean market, daewoo engine. Guys reimported because they were cheap, but you can't get any parts from grove by serial number.
Neat to see the work you did and your machine. I have never seen a Toyota forklift or engine that big. You have some different machines across the pond than we do here. Keep posting.
Actually these big Toyota are not very common here in Europe too. When you call Toyota they can't or don't want do anything concerning parts or service anymore. From the typplate this one was imported by a company in Belgium and the 10ton FD100 has a German type plate. But both from the 1970ies.