Hi all, I've just taken possession today of a 2SDK8 Toyota Skid Steer. Only issue is I was told it had 3600 hours on it, but the meter read 6940 hours. I purcahsed it sight unseen so there was lots of trust there. Anyway I queried my seller and he tells me it was last used a few years ago at 3600 hours, but the owner had left the battery connected and key in it, so when the battery went flat, he's saying it caused the hour meter to continue clicking over. Does this sound right to you guys? Can the hour meter operate without the engine being on? anyone ever heard of this happening? thanks in advance, Renoman
Since no one else has chimed in- maybe. I can't speak for the Toyota, but I have had some small equipment (big lawnmowers, etc.) that used electric hour meters. And they ran when the key was on, regardless of engine running. And it caused some issues just like you described, when somebody would leave a key on overnight for some reason and it racked up 15 hours...
The hr. meter I installed on the saw mill runs when the key is turned on. Now I'm curious I'll turn the key on my backhoe on and see if it continues to go. Maybe just turn the key on the Toyota and see if the meter continues to keep time.