Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Adjuster

crosswind ยท 2010-09-28 08:51

Looking for advice on how to compress a track adjuster ( JD-290) with the adjuster already removed. I was able to back off my grease zerk and pound in back in about an inch with a sledge and a block of wood. It is extended about 4 inches. How far in will it compress ? Does the coil spring force it out also or just absorb shock? I am reinstalling my final drive and track, just want to make sure my adjuster is working correctly since I am into the repair this far.

Replies7
  1. #1Cat Wrench2010-09-28 09:16

    Reinstall it in the machine and use the excavator to push the idler back with the grease zerk open. The springs purpose is to absorb shock load or binding in the track. Be careful handling the assembly as the spring is preloaded with considerable force.

  2. #2crosswind2010-09-28 09:33

    Thanks Cat. I have not installed my final yet so I have open Hyd lines.I was wondering if I could compress it some way while it was out of the machine. I am an auto mech by trade and aware of the preload of the spring, but I thank ya for the heads up. I guess basically my concern is that my adjuster is operating/functioning before I get my track back on and buttoned up. My thinking was since I am into the final drive issue I would also check my track tensioner. I did have a problem with it not wanting to take grease a few months ago.I got it to return about an inch and then but the grease gun to it and it started to expand, can I assume it is working and not binding??????

  3. #3Cat Wrench2010-09-28 09:54

    I would pull the piston and replace the seals while you have it apart. Clean out the old grease that could be "dried out" and plug up the relief hole when you try to release the tension. You should be able to tap the piston all the way back in with your hammer and block with the track adjuster zerk fitting removed.

  4. #4crosswind2010-09-28 10:58

    track tensioner Cat, I take it that requires complete diassembly of the unit. Removing the spring and such. Correct???? You mentioned plugging the relief hole, can you explain the purpose. Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right the first time. I really appreciate the advice.

  5. #5Cat Wrench2010-09-28 11:30

    You should not have to remove the spring. The piston (which is the piece you are driving back in) should come out. I am not familiar with 290 but most work the same way. Can you take a picture of it? Here is a breakdown of a 290D; http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt If this looks like yours you need to remove the bolts (item 14) and item #11 is the piston. It should come out and items 08, 09, 10 and 13 are the seals and retainer that you should replace. Do not mess with Item 06 which retains the spring.

  6. #6Cat Wrench2010-09-28 11:33

    Once the piston is out you can clean all the old grease out of it. It will likely have some pits in it but unless they are really bad you should be able to run it. Once you have it apart take some pictures and post them.

  7. #7crosswind2010-09-28 12:33

    Cat that is exactly what I am working with. Mine is a 290D. I will try to get to that job tonight. I have never posted a pic. That could be worse then repairing my excavator.LOL I was concerned with having to deal with the coil spring but if I don't have to mess with that the job shouldn't be to bad. Thanks again.