Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX150-5 Slew Motor Seal

nickbowers ยท 2010-09-27 23:05

Hi, I have a ex150-5 that wont hold oil in the slew motor, what part has to be split to replace the seal? Does it have to come out completly? I pressure washed it and then refiilled it and there is no signs of a leak, so it must be going down into the next compartment internally. Anyone ever had this? Cheers, Nick

Replies5
  1. #1excavator2010-09-28 01:01

    Go to deere.com and look in the parts section at the schematic for swing device. It shows the entire unit broken down. You will have to remove the swing motor and then the swing gearbox to replace the seal. The oil leaks down into the swing bearing area and you will probably start to see leakage in that area.

  2. #2nickbowers2010-09-28 01:36

    Hi, Thanks for the reply, it doesnt sound like its going to be an easy job. Looking on the deere site i can only find parts for ex1200 up in the parts catalog. Any idea why? Or am i looking in the wrong place? Cheers, Nick

  3. #3excavator2010-09-28 11:42

    Once in the Deere site, select construction, then parts, then parts catalog. Then in the upper left hand corner type in 160 and scroll down through the list till you come to "160lc excavator." That should get you what you need.

  4. #4KenAl2010-10-02 11:21

    Pull the swing motor and reduction as a unit and change the lower seal. The seal will go over the pinion. I usually try to park on level ground and cap the lines to the motor off. Then when I have the unit out, I lift the boom and have someone push the bucket slowly as I clean out the tub and refill the tub with fresh grease.

  5. #5nickbowers2010-10-05 07:07

    thanks for the replies, did it on the weekend. Apart from the bolt being that tight that i had to use a wheel nut cracker(78:1 reduction) and a bar on that it was pretty simple. All fixed and everything seemed perfect in there. Nick