I have a cat 304. I found a good set of used tracks, everything matches except I'ts 74 links, mine is 72 links. Is there enough adjustment to use the longer tracks?
That's a big jump. If they are the same pitch, the adjuster cylinder will be all to way at the end of its stroke and the tracks will still be loose. You can cut a couple of links out and make it work. I'd probably take one and try it and if still too long take the second one out.
John, Thanks for the help, however these are rubber tracks
Like John said, that's a huge jump. It is unlikely your idler/tension cylinder has enough stroke to tighten them enough to keep them on. You could add shim blocks to your idler yoke as I have seen in the past, but you will be pushing your idler out way past the rail frame and cause severe wear.
You mentioned links in your first post. Rubber tracks are not usually spoken of in terms of track links.