Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Adjustment on D7E (original D7E)

Richard W Kruse ยท 2022-10-30 23:03

I blew out track adjuster seal for the second time in 20 years. In trying to slide the front idler forward, I am finding it hard to move. After much oil, it is moving. When I blew the seal, the pressure was way high on my grease gun. Could it be that I blew the seal with my grease gun, because of the bind-up of the front idler? My dozer is a 1963 48A with Hydro Shift. I let it sit idle for too long sometimes. The front sides don't appear to be rusty. I wonder if bind-up on the front idler has been an issue? Cat doesn't provide a zerk that I can find. Dick Kruse, 84 years (too old to be fixing my machine anyway!!)

Replies3
  1. #1Mcrafty12022-10-31 05:19

    I can't believe it's possible to blow the track adjuster seal with a grease gun if the seal wasn't already compromised. The tracks/machine must put far more pressure on those seals at various times when the machine is in operation. That being said, others far more in the know will be along and help you diagnose the problem. As far as being too old to fix your machine yourself, I know the feeling....working on these machines are a younger mans job, good luck with your problem.

  2. #2Richard W Kruse2022-10-31 17:09

    Today I'm finding the idler jams-up about 2" before full forward. You need that full forward position to get the piston out. I'm looking to grind the 'rail' down. What would cause this? Could there be enough dirt on the bottom to cause this? I took both outside casting off to observe.

  3. #3hector gemme2022-11-01 12:23

    If the greace is going out in coilspring it because the track are to worn and going to far in front and if the greace going out from the end rod and cylinder it should be the the ring and seal probleme