Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Bolts

Brandon_M · 2019-12-13 08:37

I need to replace about 15 or so track bolts on my Dresser TD8G. I was wondering do you have to go back with factory replacement bolts or is there a certain grade bolt I can get locally to replace them? Thanks, Brandon

Replies10
  1. #1AllDodge2019-12-13 10:31

    I used after market bolts to install pads according to CAT manual and all good. I would find any regular track bolts and use. Would also remove the pad, sand clean all surfaces and then install

  2. #2Brandon_M2019-12-13 10:59

    Do you know what grade the bolts are? Do they have to be “track bolts” or will a strong grade work as long as they’re the same size? I found a place online to buy track bolts but they want over double the price for shipping than what the actual bolt & nut cost

  3. #3AllDodge2019-12-13 11:08

    Don't know the grade but do know they have a dome head. If you had the size might think about going to CAT and get them. Ones for my 955 list for $1.00 for bolt and $0.76 for nut

  4. #4Brandon_M2019-12-13 11:35

    That is true about the dome shape head. I’d forgotten about that

  5. #5John C.2019-12-13 20:40

    Track pad bolts are special, not necessarily for just the head. Most are body fit with very little clearance between the shank of the bolt and the holes in the pads and track chain links.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2019-12-13 20:46

    Use track bolts or they will not stay tight and the heads will wear off

  7. #7heymccall2019-12-13 20:49

    Bolt diameter, length and part numbers

  8. #8heymccall2019-12-13 20:50

    Track nuts

  9. #9Brandon_M2019-12-13 20:52

    Thanks guys

  10. #10Brandon_M2019-12-13 21:11

    Anybody happen to know what a td8g track bolt torques on? I think it’s a 9/16 bolt