Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track chains

milling_drum ยท 2009-06-26 21:33

Saw these track chains today and was wondering what they were about...they look like they would be good on finish grade, they didn't seem to leave much mess behind them.

Replies15
  1. #1CAT D9H2009-06-26 22:30

    The only time I have ever seen them like that is on LGP dozers , but they have been solid pyrimids and didnt have a hump in the middle

  2. #2RDG2009-06-27 00:22

    They are called pyramid plates, used on swamp dozers and give more floation and traction in soft going. Not recomended for firm under foot conditions as they dont penetrate the ground and are prone to bending and breaking as well as putting a lot more strain on the rest of the undercarrige.

  3. #3John C.2009-06-27 13:21

    They are also very expensive. Last time I was asked to source them they were $70 a plate. They will let a dozer work where a man can't walk.

  4. #4firedozer2009-06-27 13:36

    The main advantage to these shoes are they self clean. In sticky material they do not ball the track shoes up with material and make a giant smooth track.

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-06-27 15:10

    I understood that being pyramid shape it cuts down on the suction when working in very soft wet ground. I agree, they are not normally for general use.

  6. #6Swamp rat2009-06-27 20:17

    These are usually called swamp pads. Excellent in real bad conditions.

  7. #7CatSkinner77V2009-06-29 08:37

    we always called em banana pads

  8. #8BritOperator2009-06-30 14:33

    I know them as self cleaning pads. Ran a Komatsu 65 a while back with them on doing a cut and fill job working in clay. As all above have said they are good when it's wet or bogey but junk when it's dry, squealed like a couple of pigs on their wedding night...lol Found they went slack all the time. Most of the tractors you get in England are LGP. Wish contractors in this country would look at the advantage of a standard tractor in normal conditions instead of always going for the easy option. I've run tractors with standard tracks in all conditions and never had any real problems. You just have to adjust your operation of the tractor to compensate.

  9. #9milling_drum2009-07-18 21:54

    Thank you for the informative replies. Primarily I'm an asphalt dummy and haven't got a clue about dozers. Over the years I've used a dozer from time to time for working on/repairing a mill in a remote area but never operated one on a regular basis.

  10. #10drumconstructio2009-07-30 08:15

    they generally are not a great product

  11. #11milling_drum2010-03-04 22:06

    Funny, I'm down in a REAL swamp now with half a dozen dozers daily and have yet to see a set of these pads on any of them....

  12. #12JimInOz2010-03-05 05:01

    Those Apex plates are fantastic in wet areas.You can walk into some scary places whilst reclaiming swampland. I wouldn't recommend them in normal dozing work,although they are OK in landscaping & trim up work. Apex plates are made in Super Swamp size too...very wide.

  13. #13JASON M2010-03-05 10:22

    Been using those for years here in La. First ones I used were Pyramid Pads from Komatsu. Had 'em on a Komatsu D58P LGP dozer. That thing would work in conditions and cut grade in the bottom of a freshly drained ponds like nobody's business; Great traction where nothing else comes close. They penetrate very well in soft ground, but break very easily on hard ground. I've never used the ones pictured... but have seen them mostly on Caterpillar product. I bet they are not as effective as the standard pyramid shoe used on the older Komatsu dozers. Komatsu called 'em Swamp Dozers, back in the day, equipped with Swamp Pads or (pyramid pads)

  14. #14milling_drum2010-03-05 20:42

    Those Aussie pads look great, I wonder what they look like at work. Jason, have you seen that thread I started about the levees in New Orleans?

  15. #15JASON M2010-03-05 22:55

    No, I have not, but I have completed several levee reaches in the New Orleans U.S.A.C.E. District.... You've really got to "know your onions" when bidding that stuff. Very demanding conditions!.......... and that work does not suffer fools.