Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track links:

1693TA · 2022-09-16 18:53

How many links in a D4D tractor? Buddy has one the tracks won't stay on. He purchased another used set and one track has one additional link, the other track has two additional links from his tractor. He tells me the links measure near the same as his if taking wear into account. I've not seen anything first hand but going to look this weekend. Something doesn't seem to add up with this, but I don't know enough yet to say for sure. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632022-09-16 18:58

    I don't know the link count but its not uncommon to find used tracks that have had a link removed to extend the track life. Some rails may be the extended versions

  2. #21693TA2022-09-16 19:43

    I agree but we really don't know what we have here so kind of looking for a baseline. Kind of strange the replacement tracks differ in link count but neither match the purchaser's tractor? Guy really doesn't know how to read a micrometer so I'll take a pair of dividers and bore mic and we'll ensure what he has is what he needs.....

  3. #3Check Break2022-09-16 23:21

    How many links in a D4D tractor? What front idler does he have. Check the parts book. It has all the answers.

  4. #41693TA2022-09-16 23:34

    A parts manual, or any manual for the tractor would be nice. I don't know if he has any literature on the tractor or not other than what has been located on the internet. i certainly have nothing. Thanks,

  5. #5Check Break2022-09-17 09:38

    I don't have any manuals for a D4D. Have him measure the diameter of the front idler, count the number of rollers on the swing frame, get the serial number, and ask over on ACMOC. Someone will have an answer for you.

  6. #6Glum2022-09-17 12:56

    36 links on a standard D4D

  7. #71693TA2022-09-17 21:38

    Thanks for the replies. Tracks measure very close to 2-5/16" bushing diameter and near 5.70" for bushing length. Not the correct tracks for a D4D but rather a D5 series.

  8. #8D5Dan2022-09-19 16:55

    I don’t have any D4 literature, but I do have some D5 books. Here’s a few pages from the parts book regarding the idler, grousers, and track links/pins…maybe some part numbers will help backup your measurements. Best of luck!

  9. #9Check Break2022-09-19 20:48

    I believe you're dealing with two different chain pitches. Measure two pins center to center on each chain. I'll bet the D5 chain is longer. Won't seem like much but the sprockets aren't forgiving.

  10. #101693TA2022-09-19 21:10

    Thanks, I did that too but neglected to post those findings. The chain pitch does match a D5 series from a track press manual I have. Turns out these were mislabeled at an auction site being listed for a D4D series but I don't know any more than that.

  11. #11John C.2022-09-20 10:49

    Are they Cat chains? The should be a part number cast into the sides of the track link. I have some Cat track books and can give you dimensions if you provide the part number on the links.

  12. #121693TA2022-09-20 12:34

    Thanks John. Yes, they were Caterpillar chains but having no references other than a track service manual, I relied upon physical measurement(s). They did not match the tractor with a naked eye to me. I'll see about getting the numbers from the chains as I think he has something he'll never use and will probably sell them once percentages are known. Thanks,