Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track plates

Lawless ยท 2015-01-21 13:50

I need a couple track plates for my case 450. I've contacted Coleman equipment and a couple other places and get the same answer, discontinued. Anybody know where I can get a couple 16 inch plates? Also, what is the difference between "overlapping" a "non overlapping" and how do you tell the difference apart?

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2015-01-21 21:04

    Would depend on the vintage, there's tons of options for CASE track chains and plates. I assume since you listed this under dozers that it's a single bar grouser? 7/16 or 1/2" bolts? Do you care if it has a mud hole or not? Are the bolt holes equal distance from each end? Some machines take an offset shoe. I believe the non-overlap in the old days did not have the tail at the back and the eyebrow on the front edge, or at least very short versions of those. Modern track shoes are all overlap style. R32900 is a good part number for an overlap style, 1/2" bolt, 16" single grouser shoe with a mud hole, maybe you can make that work?

  2. #2Lawless2015-01-21 22:08

    Lantraxco, thanks for the reply. Coos bay....I used to ride down there when I lived in Oregon. Plenty of crazy night at boxcar on the big holiday weekend. :cool2 Anyways, the case 450 is a 286xxxx serial number so I'm guessing late 60s early 70s vintage. Looks to be a single bar and the bolts/holes are in fact 1/2 inch. The mounting is staggered.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2015-01-21 22:24

    Yair . . . A few years ago a feller I know was lamenting the lack of a few plates for an old Fowler he was doing up. I pointed out to him that a basic track-plate was a fairly simple fabrication out of a bit of Assab or whatever. He just looked at me a bit funny and reckoned he'd never thought of that. Like I mean, I know they would be expensive but if you are doing it yourself it may be an option. Cheers.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-01-21 22:24

    Yeah, used to love the dunes back in the late seventies... I grew up here, wandered off and just recently wandered back. I think the part number I gave you will work but it has the mud hole in the center, try an R24601 first, Coleman shows one in stock. I'm betting your tracks have been replaced and updated at least once in it's long life.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-01-21 22:35

    LOL Scrub, yeah, sometime the obvious just ain't eh? There is no replacement for experience, an making do with what you got gives you good experience. I needed a CAT shoe one time, oiler comes back empty handed.... I asked if they had any at all, and he replied yeah, they had the next size wider... back he goes, a cup of coffee later here he comes, shoe in hand... five minutes with a torch and she's off to the rock pit, I didn't bother even cleaning the edges with a grinder...

  6. #6Lawless2015-01-22 01:07

    I thought about that. Wouldn't take much to make a new plate. Even the heat treating would go pretty easy as I've heat treated plenty of things. But, I figure if one is easily accessible for a somewhat decent price then it would save me some time. It's been awhile since I've been riding down at coos bay. I remember the last of the "good" days in the early 2000s before they outlawed alcohol on the sand. Half naked women, live band, racing, and close to 2000 people crammed on the race hill at boxcar. Man those were so good days! I don't know the history on my dozer but I'm guessing your right on the undercarriage being replaced before. The sprockets and chain all say "berco" on them and everything is in decent shape for the year. I'm still learning what interchanges and what doesn't so I'm not completely up on everything. I'm thinking that the R24601 that you suggested will work and will try that. Thanks for the help.

  7. #7Tones2015-01-22 01:33

    Also try your ITR dealer, they make a big range of track parts and a lot cheaper than Berco. my 2 cents

  8. #8Lawless2015-03-06 01:27

    Thanks again lantraxco! That was the track I needed! Fits perfectly!

  9. #9lantraxco2015-03-06 01:59

    Sweet! De nada, even a blind hog gets an acorn now and then, lol :drinkup