It's slow tonight... I'll post some pictures... and you guys can pontificate.... Tell me what you think...opine.... :cool2 Not long ago, I replaced the entire undercarriage on our JD 750c. And, I went with all Cat... due to the fact that I was good friends with the Cat salesman... and they were a little cheaper too.... I used all double flanged rollers, except for the rear, instead of the normal staggered pattern of single/double. Any thoughts... good, bad, or indifferent??? Price was not a factor. Every thing went very good... Until we got into a Cat fight over specifications......... :lmao OCR....
What's there to discuss? You did good. Genuine Cat undercarriage components are far superior to Berco or other aftermarket crap. Right now we're having issues with a D6H that we replaced with a Berco system. 2000 hours and it's junk. Orignal lasted over 8000 hours.
Who makes Cat genuine undercarriage?
Hope you used lots of anti sieze, real important especially on an undercarriage.
I don't know that it will hurt much, but there isn't usually a need for all double flange rollers. A couple in the middle for a larger dozer are usually sufficient. I've seen guys that worked mostly on hillsides or ski slopes do all doubles. Still, the factory recommendations are hard to beat. Doubles generally cost a little more if that matters. Cat U/C hardware is good stuff, hard to beat the quality, especially if you rack up a lot of hours or work mostly in very abrasive conditions underfoot. I've done tests in the past with one side Cat and one side something else. Cat was always better in the long run endurance and cost wise.
If I remember correctly, OCR fights fire with this dozer in some challenging terrain. Maybe double flange rollers might not be required and might be a little overkill, but at least he's covered in that application.
On the 8K's I had we ran a single in the back and the middle or you could not get the track adjustment cylinder out if it needed replacing. 5 doubles and 2 singles per side. I always figured the more flanges the better.
I think you need a Lab report to sort out the Cat fight.
I think if you went, single, double, double, single, double, single, that would have been sufficient
A VERY good 'kwestyunn'? Hi, Darinray. Now that is a VERY good 'kwestyunn'. With the Cat trade mark splashed liberally ALL over it, who do YOU think might make 'JEN-YOO-WINE' Cat undercarriage components? (Caution: This IS a trick 'kwestyunn'.) LOL. Hi, OCR. JEN-YOO-WINE Cat 'rubbish' rather than the 'properly' JD stuff. What WERE you thinking of, Man? LOL. Looks good to me. Wouldn't it have been better to keep the WHOLE machine JEN-YOO-WINE Cat? LOL. Keep us posted, please.
Keep it comming...anything and everything. I just need to post a bit of additional information. This a 7 roller track frame. JDs factory sequence, from front to back, is: Single flange-- 1, 3, 5, 7. Double flange-- 2, 4, 6. And, as I said.... All opinions are welcome... the more, the better.... I had my reasons for going this particular route, but I couldn't think of every thing... all of you can catch what I missed... or didn't.... :cool2 OCR
Good one.... should work.... LOL Looks like the specification issue has been firmed up, and pretty well laid to rest... Nice looking dogs... now... if one of them could just use that hammer... :cool2 OCR...
A VERY good 'kwestyunn'? Sprocket drive assembly was in the way... ... :lmao :lmao OCR ...
Resourcefulness??????????????? Hi, OCR. So is resourcefulness BANNED North of Montana's Southern borders?????????? THAT would explain a number of things. LOL. :ban :beatsme :Banghead :bash
Anti seize: I buy Cat anti seize in 55 gallon drums... LOL... not quite that much at a time... but very little, if any thing, goes on that machine without anti seize.... :cool2 Ah... room for more opinions now... Oh, btw... the pads were already bolted on the rails. OCR
Stockholme tar is the best ive ever used on those sort of bolts and trailer U bolt nuts etc . It is for use on horse hoofs i think . Years later you can crack the bolt and undo it with your fingers .
What???? Yes it would... if it was...but it aint... so it won't... so it don't.... :lmao And... must you always... "enter rear end first" ???.... :falldownlaugh... :ban OCR... LOL...
What Brand Now????????????? Hi, OCR. So what brand is your machine now? Bitzer? Heinz 57? Suburban Terrier? Clatterdeere? Any, all or none of the above? LOL.
Ohhhhh... See!!!... Now I've got writer's block.... I'm incapable of response.... I'll have to think.... OCR
'Speechless'?????????? AHA!!!!!!!!!!!'\ At last! He's 'Speechless'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would the "normal" members please carry on? Hard to fathom, isn't it??? Good night/day...LOL OCR
My BUTT's against the wall. Hi, OCR, When posting on your threads, my BUTT's always against the wall. Can't you see the tracks rolling along? (Keeping on thread.) LOL.
In response to the Cat on deere above, Why waste good Cat genuine undercarriage on a deere?
As far as berco only lasting 2000 hrs and Cat lasted 8,000 (w/o turn or w?) there is something wrong. The way I gather it is that Cat "Classic" u/c is outsourced so you don't really know where this is made anyway. BUT back to Berco 2000 hr claim.....they do warranty there salts 4000hrs or 3 yrs so why wouldn't you have complained to get it resolved? I think it's kinda like my Ford is better than your chevy talk.
Quite sone we will se which one is better! or at least who has a better buisness plan I have a theory about single and double flange rollers! In muddy conditions double flange should be better, the reason: mud packs up better betven the flanges and works as a "bearing", like hard facing on buckets! opinions please!
Turn the question around. Hi, Greg. At least he was trying to improve a lesser machine. Would it not have been a greater sacrilege to put a Cat tracor on Deere U/C? LOL.
GOOD LORD!!!! BITE YOUR TONGUE. Had one deere around here. My opinion there is that it is a set of undercarriage that had the misfortune that of being put on a deere. Running Berco on D3 Cat here, get 3,500 hours a set on the little guy. D7 and D8 get Cat undercarriage. I have told that Berco is the OEM undercarriage for just about everything except Cat.
So if what Greg says is true, if Berco really does build Deere's OEM carriage parts, I guess it's safe to say that by putting Berco under a Cat, you're essentially installing Deere parts on a Cat. :naughty :lmao
OUCH!! Ya, but it does not say deere one it. WHere do I find those funny goofy faces and stuff that you got there IUOE 302?
Funny faces Hi, Greg. Those funny faces are right alongside the box that you are typing your post into. Select a 'smilie', click on it and it will appear in code in your post. If you want to check what 'smilies' you have before you ackshully post it, select 'preview' at the bottom alongside 'submit', check it out and, wehn you're happy with it, select 'submit'. :beatsme :bash :Banghead :drinkup
Pure Swedish Stockholm Tar Is this it, Iron Horse? OCR
The Stockholme Tar is good. We used it for years on galvanised water pipe threads before poly pipe was thought of. Years later those threads unscrewed quite easy once they were cracked and the tar was still there, so I do not see why it wouldn't work just as well on undercarriage bolts. Rn'R.
Stockholm tar. Hi, Folks. I too have seen stockholm tar used for both an anti-corrosive and a Loctite substitute in quite a few places. It also functioned very well as a pipe sealant, especially for screwed galvanised water pipes It is also used in arborculture to seal the ends of pruned tree branches and when de-horning cattle and rams to stop the bleeding of the freshly-cut horns. I have no doubt that there are a LOT of other uses that I haven't heard of.
That's it OCR , there would be other brands as well . Track frame bolts , rock rail bolts and truck and trailer "U" bolts are a bear without it . I have found that the Never Seize dries out after a long while and tends to bind . This stays moist for donkey"s years . On edit , my little dog got chewed up by Dingoes . The wounds where very weepy , i painted them with the tar and they healed up well .
Interesting...hadn't ever heard of Stockholm tar. Looked it up online and aparently it's a high grade of pine tar that's usually mixed with something like linseed oil. It's mostly used to preserve wood and natural fiber rope. I can see why it would last for years.
Look, it says, "Stockholm Tar, For Animal Treatment Only". So, I guess you can use it for either CAT or Deere components. But not Komatsu....
:lmao:lmao I recently had the rock guards off of a D8 to get to a broken roller bolt, the bolts had been dipped in some kind of concoction that looked like STP and neversieze by the previous owner. I've had the machine 9 years and they looked like they had just been put together. The broken bolt twisted right out no problem. Whatever they were dipped in worked excellent, maybe it was some of that pine tar stuff. Put it back with Cat high temp never sieze
A little tip when using it , put a couple of inches in an open tin with a 1" paint brush standing in it . After a while it thickens up and does not drip off the bolt , as it can be a little thin straight out of the bottle . Then just dab a bit on with the brush and tighten up . It is also easier to paint a machine after you use it as it cleans up without much effort unlike Never Seize when it has been flung everywhere by the impact gun . I did'nt know about it being used on Gal pipe threads .
Where can you get Stockholm tar? Would Menards or Lowe's have it? All all brands the same? Thanks. Tazzels
Most produce stores have it , a quick Google of your area will find it .
Gal. pipe threads Hi, Iron Horse. It works very well on gal. pipe threads, especially considering that the galvanising is usually removed in the threading process, particulalrly on cut lengths of pipe. I have also seen it used a fair bit in shearing sheds for sealing up sheep after clumsy shearers - helps to stop the poor sheep from bleeding to death. Mind, you, sometimes it's not ALL the shearer's fault, if they get a rambunctious sheep.
Hi Deas , it must be pretty good stuff too use it in that aplication . As you say the threads are bare and rust easily , especially in contact with water and soil . Using it on sheep and horses is where i got the idea from to use it on my little dog after the Dingoes chewed him up . Way too much Testosterone for a Fox Terrier , 3 Dingoes the size of Ridgebacks and he went straight in with no hesitation . ointhead
Fox Terriers Hi, Iron Horse. I suspect that Fox terriers may have a fair bit of 'Pommie' blood in them. Not enough sense to know when they're licked. After all, the 'poms' have been pretty close to beat in 2 world wars and still ended up winning. LOL.
OCR I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was looking at your pictures of your 750C U/C. Near the sprocket I see some kind of guide for the track. Is that something extra Cat had or did Deere have that same guide? I have a friend that is having trouble on steep sidehills when he backs up with an 850C. The track hasn't come off, but it gets real noisy. I told him that I thought the U/C was worn out, but he says it's in very good shape. I think one of those guides is what he needs! Thanks
I've used that tar stuff on bad scrapes and stuff it stings a little but healed good
In our track shop, all of the track bolts are dipped in a mixture of anti-sieze and grease. Whenever we get the tracks back in for a p&b turn or a pad swap, all of the track bolts are still lubricated. The cost of the anti-sieze and grease sure beats $300 for new hardware!!!
Maybe we need to look into some animal treatment tar. Your right Digger242j, what about komatsu and case.
Hello I AM IRONMAN, That actually is what JD calls the rear sprocket guide. It's a bolt on piece, and the rock guards bolt to that. The pin bosses on the Cat rails are 1 inch wider then the original JD, so I'm going to modify my rock guards... I didn't know this at the time... I tried to "splay" the guards out at the bottom, but they still rubbed a bit too much... you can see the wear in one of the pictures. I'll just modify the mounts, and they won't contact quite as much. I also had to trim the front idler guide with my plasma cutter a bit too. If he didn't have rock guards when he got the machine, that piece might not have been installed. I put the rock guards on after we bought the dozer, and I think it was part of the assembly. I do believe it would help his situation. Always nice to hear from you, and take care, OCR
8,000 hours on original u/c? lots of machine idle time....
Iron man check the track frame bearings right in front of sprocket
Thanks for the help guys! Those steep sidehills are always tuff on an U/C.