Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Specs info & trench digging

JimInOz ยท 2008-06-22 01:35

Hi fellas, I have 2 questions,so I'll post by numbers; 1...I inherited a set of near new steel tracks with a small dozer I bought. Turns out they are not a fit,so I need to offload them. Are there any sites or books that I can visit,to find a parent machine for these tracks.? PITCH: 135 MM (25.4MM = 1 inch) BUSH: 35MM LINKS: 38 LINK WIDTHS: Inner 40MM , Outer 80MM PLATES: 400MM They appear close to a Kobelco 45,but not exactly the same.No numbers on them. 2...I need to dig a trench ,12 inches wide & 30 inches deep....about 1400 feet long.It's a power supply trench,for a country home.Cable will be over 1 &1/4 inch thick. Digging is hard clay & some small,broken mudstone.I have a drott with long ripper onsite,in case of hard digging. Am I better digging this trench with excavator or backhoe? I wanted to use a trencher,but unsure about the costs of a trencher with 12" cutting ability. Any ideas appreciated. Jim

Replies4
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-06-22 17:46

    1 ) Are you sure that there is not a number on the side of the links? 2) Personally I would use an excavator as I think it will be more productive. Pull the levers to move each time rather than spinning the seat, select gear, release brake, forgot legs :Banghead As the ripper is available, use it. Rip the trench first to make the dig easier and therefore faster.

  2. #2JimInOz2008-06-22 18:06

    Trench Digging Thanks for the advice....I figured the excavator would be more user friendly. Do you think a 5 ton unit would suffice in mostly hard clay digging.? Also wondered if it common to see the smaller excavators using a ripper attachment? I've seen lots of 20 tonners using them,but never had much to do with the small diggers. Jim

  3. #3bobcatmechanic2008-06-22 22:00

    i know bobcat has a ripper attachment you may try them to see if they have one in there rental fleet where you are or you could just make one

  4. #4JimInOz2008-06-23 01:56

    Tracks & Trench Hey fellas, I just found numbers on the links of one track...other track is void of markings. SOREFA (ITM) 2045 is the link number.If anyone has a track guy's ear...I'd like to know the parent machine. Contacted the nearest Ditch Witch dealer today...he thinks a local contractor has a 5 ton machine that will dig a 12 inch trench. I'm happy to go with the trencher,as less disturbance results. Thanks Jim