Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track tension

jw3 ยท 2011-11-27 21:40

I recently purchased a Kubota 121-2, my service manuals are in route, but I am needing track tension specs. I am changing tracks out soon and want them adjusted properly. Thanks foryour time and info.

Replies8
  1. #1Hendrik2011-11-29 20:53

    Do you have the operators manual? Should say in there how to do the tracks.

  2. #2Ricemiester2011-11-29 21:04

    Every rubber track machine that I've ever worked on i always adjust the tracks until they are snug, not super stretch tight.

  3. #3Palmer782011-11-29 23:29

    Mine (not a Kubota) specs 1/2 inch of sag on the rubber tracks. That's measured between the bottom roller and the track when the machine is lifted in the air.

  4. #4TCM2011-12-18 22:26

    I think my KX121-2 manual calls for 1.6 - 1.8" from bottom roller to top of track (bottom). This is for steal tracks.

  5. #5Davvinciman2011-12-19 00:28

    True. I think that measurement is only for stolen tracks.

  6. #6TCM2011-12-19 11:59

    Ya ya good catch. Steel tracks. The spelling bee is on.

  7. #7Davvinciman2011-12-19 20:51

    Loose or tight? Just a little joking around. On the high tracks (Cats), they couldn't be too tight or it would cause a lot of wear on the sprocket segments. Mine did a little better because they were D4H which had the idler roller in between the final drive and the front idler. The larger ones would get some wicked chain snap when they got too loose and I have seen some tracks that seemed in good condition broke apart. Due to too loose on track adjustment is anybodies guess but they started putting those middle idlers on the larger Cats later and even retrofit the ealier models. With the idler, I would rather run them slightly on the loose side.

  8. #8TCM2011-12-20 08:10

    Yep I know, good one.