I recently replaced my idlers and one recoil assembly on my machine. When I put the whole thing back together and went to tension the tracks back up I got to the point where it would ne accept any more grease but it still seems looser than it ought to be. When I put the thing back together I couldn't see how it could be put back together wrong but is there something I should know about?
How far out is the idler on that side, is it at or past the end of the track frame where the idler brackets slide?
You replaced both idlers but only one recoil/tensioner mechanism. Are both sides failing to get to the correct track tension? If so you could have worn pins/bushings.
The idler is not out very far right now. I assure you are trying to find out if my chains are stretched, if so they are not. I have an operator who has been operating for 40+ years and he had a hard time getting the track back on because there was very little play. When I had the shot idlers on I had no trouble getting the tracks to tension up even though one side was completely shot. In other words there should be plenty of travel in the adjuster to put it out far enough. And now BOTH tracks are only going to about the same point. They are tight enough that they wont fall off but they are a bit loose still.
Were the idlers the correct ones? Brackets the same?
In the immortal words of Les "the fixer" Siglin, RIP, "There's sumpin' hittin against sumpin in there"
Perhaps the brackets are too short? Or maybe the yoke is incorrect?
Did you replace any other hard parts in the tensioner/recoil mechanism when you installed the new idlers..? Was the recoil spring disassembled..? is it possible the "slides" that support the front idlers are jammed up against a groove in the track frame caused by wear..?
Double check at the rear where the adjuster rod push's on the back of the recoil. That back plate can sometimes hit on a plate it needs to pass through inside the track frame. I had this once and had to loosen the track off and use a pry bar through the hole (used to grease the tensioner) and get the recoil centered and then tension it with grease.
... If I remember right, on those earlier cat, you have to put the idler to the yoke with the right side. I mean the yoke is offset, if you screw it the wrong way (180 degree) it will jammed in the frame when trying to grease.