Hi...I purchased a 1959 or 1960 (256) Case terratrac crawler tractor. I was using it the other day, when the left track came loose and almost off. I managed to keep it on, but now I need help on how to tighten the track. I only have a parts manual, which is no help. Can you please explain to me how to tighten it, or pictures of how, or links to videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need my dozer to dump gravel and sand around my basement. Thanks for any help.
You will need to remove the sheet metal cover that attaches to the yoke block. Once removed you will see a big nut, and a jam nut. It's been a long time ago but i am thinking you loosen the jam nut and turn the big nut to tighten the track. The big tube holds the recoil spring and has a long bolt that secures the round end plate ( that is the recoil) the remaining gives you the threaded end for your jam nut and adjuster nut. You may need some heat and PB blaster to get it to turn and you may need to hold the bolt head on the sprocket end. You may also find that the spring inside the tube has failed also leaving no tension to hold the idler forward. I think if you see the bolt head end pushed out on the sprocket end you may have a broken spring, Idler bearing failure, worn pin and bushings, sprockets, lower rollers, upper carrier rollers all use up the adjustment of the front idlers to keep the track adjusted.
As sheepfoot said you need to tighten the large nut right behind the front idler, to push the front Idler out. Hopefully you don't have any recoil spring issues. There used to be special wrench's for this so you will have to Make your own. You might have to use heat on the nut too. So start soaking.