Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track time! Hiqual, McLaren, Camso?

HRPServicesTX · 2016-03-03 18:41

Ok, let me start by saying yes I realize there's a lot of track threads, and I've gone through a good bunch of them. Although can't find much on the ones I'm directly comparing. So here it goes. My machine is a Kubota svl90 SRJ Hiqual SWave pattern, was quoted $2550 to me for a set. I'm interested in this because what I could find out it has more traction than the C style tread. McLaren Next Gen TDF, was quoted $3600 to me for a set. Again, these have higher traction....they also stated it was good on Rocky ground and for cut resistance. (My machine spends ¼ of its life on rock, or little less). Right now I have OEM block style, 1050 hours so far and still ok, cut pretty good and chips out of them. It's been a week and I still have not heard back from Camso, I liked their HDX line with the ST tread pattern. It basically is like the above brands. Would the higher price of the McLaren's justify themselves against Hiqual? I'd like to hear from users of these brands, and especially if you have a tread pattern I'm looking at. Thank you! I need to order in 2 months. Should I replace drive sprockets as well?

Replies36
  1. #1Rentalstop2016-03-03 19:24

    My price list from tracks and tires (camoplast) has tracks for SVL75. Nothing listed for the SVL90. Maybe they aren't available at this time for your machine. HiQual S'wave are OEM on my ditch witch mini skid. So far they are great. 200 hours no cuts or noticeable wear. Excellent traction compared to previous tracks on other mini skids. Only need to replace sprockets if they are worn....pointed. Check all idlers and rollers for bearing wear/play, replace as necessary. Probably fine as well. But may as well check while the tracks are off.

  2. #2HRPServicesTX2016-03-03 22:34

    They emailed me saying they would have a dealer contact me, id think they would've let me know if they weren't made. That's really good news on the Hiqual, one of the guys at srj was telling me what they were OEM on. Sounds like they might be decent and not worth the extra $1k for McLaren. Ok, my sprockets aren't pointed yet, the look of them haven't really changed from when it was new. Yes I'll check the idlers for sure.

  3. #3HRPServicesTX2016-03-08 09:17

    I need to order tracks sooner than I thought. Anyone have input on this? Right now I'm leaning towards Hiqual, their customer service has been better than anyone so far.

  4. #4JNB2016-03-08 10:27

    Did you break a track? As we were discussing in my crap shoot thread, the Hiqual is now oem on Case and New Holland machines. Unfortunately the new machines haven't been out long enough to make any judgments on the tracks. I'd think that the oem status would be somewhat of a quality qualifier. I do wonder if the Wide S-Wave track would be longer wearing than the standard S and still give better traction than blocks. :beatsme

  5. #5HRPServicesTX2016-03-08 13:18

    No I didn't break one, yet lol. After this last job the cracks are getting bigger/deeper. I think this last bit is wearing faster. The wide s wave is close to what I have now, just big block pattern. Here's the S wave. Also here's a block style the size of block is between the S wave and the wide. Might be best of both worlds? I'm wanting high traction while not suffering too much when running on gravel/rock.

  6. #6pafarmer2016-03-09 06:02

    The top track looks like a pretty good high traction design....I have only ever used OEM tracks on any of my machines so can't really give an opinion on any of the tracks you mentioned but I can say the top of the line Camoplast tracks wear good and offer a competitive price point. A good friend and fellow industry worker uses them extensively and has had really good luck with them...

  7. #7JNB2016-03-09 07:37

    Yeah, it seems like they usually go from "I got time to shop" to "Oh crap!" in short order.

  8. #8HRPServicesTX2016-03-09 10:52

    Thanks for that input pafarmer, I looked at the camso C lug design but after trying to reach the company for almost 2 weeks and still can't get anyone to get back to me not sure I want to bother with them. It is a very nice tread for sure. Yeah I've always had bad cracks in the tracks but they're looking much worse for sure, and lots of cracks between the tread blocks. You guys think that the block pattern above might wear better on rock than the SWave? But still give me somewhat comparable traction? I wonder...could I have too much traction and be bad for my final drives? Trellborg is also quoting me for a C lug track.

  9. #9JNB2016-03-09 11:37

    I don't know which one will have more traction, but the SVL's stall guard should keep the finals in check if you don't spin a track.

  10. #10Mark132016-03-09 13:51

    The tracks on my Tak TL230 did just that. I got a quote from MWE for some Camso B pattern tracks, very easy to deal with and emailed me a quote within 20 minutes of talking to them. I haven't ordered anything yet but I'm leaning towards buying from them at the current time.

  11. #11HRPServicesTX2016-03-09 17:51

    Thanks Mark, I checked with them. $3450 for camso HXD c lug, and $2450 for mwe version of c lug tracks. What is the b pattern tracks? Was trying to find on their website but couldn't. That's good to know on the Kubota finals, I just would hate to have a really aggressive tread pattern for traction and then spend a fortune replacing final drives.

  12. #12Mark132016-03-09 21:28

    It's #5 on their list. The zig zag bar pattern. http://www.tracksandtires.com/machines/rubber-tracks/ctl-tracks/ They're supposed to be smoother then the offset block pattern and much better in the snow. Some places call them the SD tracks as well. https://camso.co/en/products-solutions/construction/products/ctl-sd?productType=1219&p=CO44

  13. #13Gubalink2016-03-09 22:43

    Has anyone tried tracks from Titan before? They sell a set for my PT50 that I may try out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291630880680

  14. #14HRPServicesTX2016-03-09 23:12

    Oh yes I've seen those. Kinda tossed around that pattern too but afraid I'd chip the lugs too easy on rock. There's a member on here that told me about them, he has them on a t300 going on 1800 hours with them. Great traction. Herein Texas I don't care about tracks for snow lol. Kind of tossing around the prowler AT, and EXT tracks too. Wasn't hearing too good of reviews on some McLaren TDF tracks.

  15. #15Mark132016-03-09 23:22

    I don't suppose the snow in Texas is to big of an issue or to common either lol. The farm I help had the TDF tracks on their Gehl CTL60 a few years ago, they seemed ok but really liked to tear the ground up. They liked the B/SD pattern tracks better they had before the TDF tracks from what I heard.

  16. #16HRPServicesTX2016-03-09 23:52

    That's good info, I'm getting those SD tracks quoted too. What do you think about those 2 patterns from Hiqual that I have pics of? I do have to use it on rock/gravel occasionally.

  17. #17JNB2016-03-10 09:38

    From what I see...more edges equals more traction in certain conditions, but that also equals that many more edges to tear up too. The block patterns usually wear out the inside of the track before the lugs disappear. Tracks with lots of edges seem to wear down faster. Since the inside of the track is also wearing out, my feeling is that the block pattern gives more traction towards the end of the track's life. Just my opinion. Toward the end of my "track crap shoot" decision I paid more attention to what was going on on the inside surface of the track instead of the tread pattern . My Case has single flange front idlers that place more pressure on the the center lug area. Since the rear idlers are also singles, a lot of pressure is pushing down on the center steel area. Just the rollers run on the thick rubber outside the lugs. My OEM tracks actually looked like the outside of the steel lugs were trying to tear there way through the rubber. Lots of major cracks there. The double front idler on your Kubota puts pressure outside the lugs on the thick rubber area. That's a vastly better design for spreading out the weight in front under load, but I'd look for heavy rubber in that area since everything is riding there except the rear idlers. That should help to lessen vibration too. I honestly don't think that a more aggressive tread design is that big of an advantage in the conditions both you and I operate in. I'd rather give up a little in the traction department for longevity. I know I'm over thinking it...but it's been raining all week.

  18. #18HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 10:45

    Yes on the inside of my oem tracks, there's some deep cuts, but besides that, the rubber the idlers/rollers ride on really isn't too bad of shape. I've been paying attention to the thickness of rubber from track brands in those areas. Ive also noticed some brands instead of having solid rubber all the way around for the idlers, they have a bunch of closely spaced "pads" the idlers roll on. I ran across a track that was just over 300#, so I started asking everywhere. Mwe c lug is 602#/ track, trelleborg is 576#/track, prowler C lug is 560#, waiting on Hiqual. I'm guessing heavier should mean better built...more solid. Trelleborg shot me a heck of a deal theyre doing this quarter for C lug with free shipping...$1950 for a set, their brochure has good info on their tracks. I'll see if I can load it on here somehow. Yeah with the rain I have some time to get this researched more. View attachment Trelleborg-Tracks.pdf

  19. #19JNB2016-03-10 11:20

    Yeah, I'm not real impressed by the pad design unless it's additional thickness. At some point during rotation the rollers (and to a lesser degree, double front idlers) will be putting pressure between the pads. One thing that annoyed me during my search is that a lot of the companies show a rendering of their tracks and not an actual photo. Actual photos showing details can be pretty hard to find. I think that manufacturers spend a lot of time trying to outdo the other guy by coming up with fancy tread patterns and cute terminology. Then the designs are copied by the Chinese and the smaller vendors come up with their own cute terminology. From what I've seen on the forums, some of the specialized patterns make a difference pushing snow or minimizing turf tear-up, but for pushing dirt everyday...not so much. When was the last time you heard anyone say...Wow, at 500hrs these tracks still push like nothing I've ever seen before.? Never heard that myself.

  20. #20HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 12:39

    Yeah I'm going to get measurements of the thickness of the spot the idlers roll on. I'm thinking the heavier the track should be better too? What brand, and track style did you go with? How many hours are on them and how are they holding up? If you could do it again, what would you get?

  21. #21JNB2016-03-10 14:29

    I went with the block pattern from Rubbertrax. Photos at the bottom of this page HeavyEquipmentForums . I got a referral from Fastdirt here on HEF. He has them on his Tak. It would be interesting to see how he likes them at this point. Mine are at 250hrs and I'm happy with them so far. We'll see how they hold up. The sales guy (a member here) isn't with Rubbertrax anymore, so I don't know if that would effect pricing or not.

  22. #22HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 15:23

    I'll PM him about his tracks. Can you tell anything different from them vs OEM? I'm slowly getting carcass thickness measurements back from some manufacturers.

  23. #23JNB2016-03-10 15:42

    The oem Bridgstone tracks had 750 hrs on them when I got my machine and had already gotten pretty bad on the inside. Plenty of block left though. Hard for me to tell, but the new tracks seem to be close to the same thickness-wise. A lot more traction and less vibration, which is to be expected.

  24. #24HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 17:18

    Just went to the Kubota dealer. I ordered the bushings for rear loader arm pins. I saw the Hiqual s wave on a new Holland machine there. They were more stout than they appear in pics. The OEM bridgestone tracks were quoted at $6135 lol....no way lol.

  25. #25JNB2016-03-10 21:15

    Did you ask them if that included a free 4n1 bucket or something? Geez, that's crazy.

  26. #26HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 22:17

    Yeah I couldn't believe it. I knew it was going to be a stupid price. But no idea it would be that lol. Speaking of 4in1 buckets. I borrowed a friend's a while ago and really liked it a lot. Couldn't justify the price much. He only has it cause that's what his mtl came with...he has no other bucket, maybe I'll trade him lol. I gotta weld 2 new teeth on mine.

  27. #27Mark132016-03-10 22:50

    Did you tell them you already owned the skid loader you just need the tracks? Good grief!

  28. #28HRPServicesTX2016-03-10 23:24

    Yeah lol. Completely stupid, I was thinking somewhere under 5k. There's no way in the world I could justify OEM tracks. Aftermarket's would have to do worse than lasting 350 hours for those to make sense.

  29. #29KSSS2016-03-11 10:23

    I think that is why you are seeing some OEM's going away from Bridgestone tracks. I don't know how anyone could quote 6K for a set of rubber tracks with a straight face. Like everyone else my Bridgestone tracks are cracked out, wearing fine from a tread depth standpoint, but I am sure the steel cords are going to rust and break at some point.

  30. #30HRPServicesTX2016-03-12 10:18

    Yeah I don't know how they quote it at that price either. I have some other good info I'm getting from some brands that I'll be able to post in a new thread next week to help others that may be in need of tracks too. I have weights, carcass thickness, track depth. Etc.

  31. #31Mark132016-03-12 13:30

    The Solideal/Camso tracks should be here sometime the beginning or middle of next week. I can post some pictures of them once I get them and maybe do a quick review if the weather cooperates and I can try them out some.

  32. #32HRPServicesTX2016-03-12 14:24

    That would be great! You ordered the HXD, or SD?

  33. #33Mark132016-03-12 15:19

    The SD Pattern. Some friends of mine have them on their Gehl CTL70 (Tak TL140) and they've been pretty happy with them. I went and looked at their machine the other day and got a better idea of what the tracks look like in person instead of a little picture on a computer screen.

  34. #34HRPServicesTX2016-03-12 16:03

    There's a member on here that told me about those, he has 1800 hours on them, but he doesn't deal with rock. I use mind in rock some and afraid I'll just be breaking the tread too much.

  35. #35heymccall2016-04-07 00:45

    ITR tracks on my 3 TL150's. No issues. Smoothest running tracks were the AVON tracks that I put on my POS 864H machines.

  36. #36dirthog282016-04-11 20:19

    Anybody got anymore experience or knowledge of the Hiqual tracks? I know that CNH is using them on their machines now, so I would think they would be a decent track, but haven't found much feedback on them.