Information seems to be pretty hard to come by for these cranes. I am on the hunt for a new in tank hydraulic filter. This seems to be a pretty typical canister filter, but has a top hat per say to it. Does anyone have a source for one of these filters? My Galion seems to be a very early model. The ID tag in the cab is as follows: Model No. 100842 Serial No. 12913171 If i understand correctly, that means that my crane serial (when looking through manuals and such) is 3171? I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the correct direction to track down one of these filters.
Can you read any numbers on the old filter? Or get the measurements to compare? This is a case where the serial number might help your search, you might need to figure out who made the hydraulic pump, and/or who Galion was associated with, in order to have a starting point to search for matching filters that may have been used in similar applications. Or post a few pics of the old filter (or where it goes if it's missing) and somebody might be able to point you in the right direction.
According to the listings it's supposed to take (2) of a Baldwin PT 469 or a WIX 51373/Napa 1373 these are roughly 5" diameter by 12" long. Original: GALION D67373A YMMV
And going by that Galion Part Number Donaldson gives this as their part number: With these dimensions: Product Attributes Outer Diameter:5.00 Inches (127 MM) Inner Diameter:2.52 Inches (64 MM) Length:11.85 Inches (301 MM) Style:Cartridge
Thanks for the help. I diddnt realize there were those 2 filters from the bottom as well. I ended up cleaning out the screen filter on the top. It was coated in so much goo I thought it was a paper filter. Here is a diagram that might end up helping someone else down the road. Now comes time to assemble this beast. The boom is being repaired and the new hydraulic cylinder is all done. I havent found too much info on the operation of this crane. I always figured that when the crowd is extended it pulls out one boom section and then the other. From what I am beginning to see, you have to extend the boom and insert a pin into the side, then continue extending the boom to its full length. Am i wrong about this? I havent been able to see any videos where the boom goes from fully retracted to the fully extended position. Maybe someone could clarify this for me. I have also attached the diagram showing the exact boom that I have.
Check with forum member Ayrhead......he has a few Galion manuals (I gave him a 150 operators manual in exchange for a Detroit 453 manual). I've replaced the hydraulic fluid filters in the tank.......and cleaned the entire tank while I was in there (amazing amount of hose residue "Gunk"). It took about 150 gallons of AW-32 to get the entire system flushed, but once done, crystal clear clean fluid. I would recommend replacing old hoses before replacing your hydraulic fluid.
Hello, can someone help me with a number, brand of this filter (5)