Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks for a wheeled skid steer, anybody done this?

tmc_31 ยท 2008-10-14 22:04

Hi all, I have a New Holland LX 565 skid steer. This unit has wheels and is a pig in the mud. Unfortunately buying a new machine at this time is not an option. Has anybody installed tracks over the wheels on a machine like this. If so, What was your reason for doing this, are you happy with the results and approximately how much did it cost? Also who are the vendors that sell such tracks. Thanks, Tim

Replies57
  1. #1John DiMartino2008-10-14 22:42

    I was considering the same thing.I dont know if they are worth investing in.My 246 has very high PSI on the ground.I was hoping tracks would spread it a little wider,and keep the machine from sinking,and leaving ruts so easily.

  2. #2tmc_312008-10-14 23:05

    Hey John, Did you get any prices? Tim

  3. #3shane2008-10-14 23:08

    Loegering comes to mind first for over-the-tire tracks. They increase traction tremendously. Like anything else, they have to be installed and used correctly. Not sure about cost.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2008-10-15 08:10

    You can try the McLaren website from the sponsors link at the top of the page.

  5. #5tmc_312008-10-15 18:11

    Hey Squizzy from perth I suppose that it would be only good form to request a quote from a forum sponsor. Consider it done! Thanks, Tim

  6. #6mdterp2008-10-16 18:18

    over the tire steel track are not very expensive, for 10x16.5 tires about $2500 for grouser or loegering. They mack a huge difference in traction and are better at climbing hills than a CTL. But i was told not to use them with foam filled tires because there is not give and will damage your machine. Also keep them tight (easy to adjust) or the will wear out

  7. #7mdterp2008-10-16 18:22

    Has anyone used the over the tire rubber tracks? I heard the are bad on the tires but I have never seen them in action.

  8. #8stuvecorp2008-10-17 00:47

    I ran Grousers on our NH170 and they worked good for me. Have run Logering steel tracks on a Case, liked them better. They seemed easier to take on and off. I think for the money the over the tire tracks provide a great value. The only big drawback for me was running on conc./blacktop. They seem to have lost favor and you may find a used set pretty reasonable.

  9. #9special tool2008-10-17 06:06

    Actually, I have an LX565 New Holland. That machine was terrible in the mud. The steel tracks made it a totally different machine. It really puses in the mud now. I have the cheapest of the three types that Mclaren sell - the steel bars only, but it was worth it. These tracks are easily removed or adjusted for street jobs using a lever style chain binder.

  10. #10tmc_312008-10-17 13:36

    Thanks Guys for all your posts, I have heard back from Mclaren and from Prowler. Their tracks seem very similar (Steel tracks with rubber pads) both in construction and in price (about $3100.00 with install tool, spacers and shipping). I have not heard from Loggering yet, maybe they don't need my business. Anyhow, I really appreciate you guys taking time to respond to my question, you've been a big help.

  11. #11positrack2008-10-18 04:41

    try tracks plus we got a set sentover to us in the uk to go on a mustang 2109 and the difference is awsum

  12. #12nedly052008-10-18 08:28

    I got my tracks from www.tracksplus.com very reasonable in price and an excellent product. definitly worth it. also take a look at www.tractiontracks.com I have hear a lot of good things about them too, they are a good bit cheaper. Good Luck.

  13. #13positrack2008-10-18 08:32

    what kind of tyres u use

  14. #14HillBoy2008-10-18 17:39

    Be aware of Prowler over the wheel tracks!!! From what I heard, they made a poor quality copy somewhere in China infringing on both McLaren and Grouser patents and both companies went after them. ointhead Grouser finally got them a permission to sell probably for a royalty fee, but McLaren is still after them... The steel they use is probably not the main concern, but copying the rubber pads in another story -- it`s not easy to make a quality rubber compound and this is what places Bridgestone, Michelin, Good Year, etc. ahead of the game. For tires and tracks, I stick with the established makers even if occasionally I have to pay a bit more, and so far it has paid off! :drinkup

  15. #15HillBoy2008-10-18 18:00

    Hi Special Tool, how long you`ve had these McLaren bar tracks? I`ve been loooking to buy over the wheel tracks for a while and Grouser and McLaren came on the top of my list for the bar type. However, with my kind of work, the best will be the Mclaren tracks with the rubber shoes. Damn, they turned out to be the most pricey, too :Banghead so now I`m saving to get them...

  16. #16tmc_312008-10-18 18:25

    Hi guys, Well I spoke too soon about Loggering. I got home last night and found a really nice info pack that they had mailed me. No prices though. I found that the Maclaren and Prowler tracks are priced about the same, so thanks for the post about Prowler tracks being made offshore. I prefer to buy american when I can. Tim

  17. #17sparky2008-10-18 22:07

    Look at Bullman tracks sister company to Mclaren, but a couple hundred dollars cheaper, sold from the same address. I'm very happy with mine.

  18. #18Seaside LPS2008-10-18 22:42

    I have a Gehl 5640 and have ran the mclaren over the tire tracks with rubber pads for the past year. They take me places I could never reach with tires alone and are nice going across pavement. I am not upgrading to full tracks VTS. I am selling my Mclaren Over the tire tacks with rubber pads for $2,000 if anyone is interested. They only have 54 hours on them great tracks I just have a bigger need for full tracks to reduce the ground pressure more.

  19. #19special tool2008-10-19 05:38

    Long time...6 years, I guess. 1800 hours +/-. I don't have the rubber, but the steel look like they have only a small amount of wear.

  20. #20HillBoy2008-10-21 20:04

    This sounds like a great investment on over the tire tracks -- 1800 hrs and a lot more to go!!! I didn't expect they'll last that long. McLaren tracks seem to be the winner... :notworthy :drinkup

  21. #21tomcat2008-11-04 15:29

    Hi Tim, I got a used set of grouser tracks when I bought my used bob cat. I love them! I've had them for 5 years and won't go into the woods without them. I think they were $1k used . Tom

  22. #22ermineerwhatbuc2008-11-06 17:00

    are you looking to for all out traction, flotation, or a compromise? I have the Loegering steel padded tracks and they really don't hurt grass or asphalt unless you turn real sharp or fast, and as far as traction there great i climb or 12- 16" trees with a full bucket. There really the best investment I've made other than the bobcat itself.

  23. #23ForestDan2008-11-06 17:14

    I just got off the phone with Loegering, inquiring about this very topic. Track kits, NOT the over the tire tracks, start at $13,600 for mid-sized skid steers, and go up to $16,600 or so for the big Gehl 7810... so for larger Cats and such they must be a tad lower in price. Cool video, too! Check it out on the link below. http://www.loegering.com/tracksystems/vts.asp -Dan

  24. #2490plow2008-11-06 17:21

    We have the mac laren rubber on steel tracks over the tires on our bobcat 873 the thing will go anywhere with them on. The rubber seems to be tearing up rather quickly though. -Eric

  25. #25ermineerwhatbuc2008-11-06 17:41

    oops typo I clinb over 12-16 inch tree laying on the ground, and they really pack down brush too! sorry for the confusion

  26. #26ForestDan2008-11-06 21:21

    Hey Eric, So, when you say your 873 will go anywhere with the mac laren tracks, what does that mean? Are you on flat ground with horrific mud, snow, pushing, pulling, lifting? Or is it rocky, steep, loose, off camber, and doing what? This is all more helpful than you guys know. Thanks for answering. -Dan

  27. #2790plow2008-11-07 20:54

    Well right off the bat you gain about 3+/- inches of ground clearance so going through ruts is easier. The tracks definately give it more traction in the mud both on hills and in the flats. They add a little more weight to the bottom too so it feels more stable when loading trucks at max reach. I really like what they did for the machine. -Eric

  28. #28KSSS2008-11-08 13:52

    If you watch you can pickup a great deal. I paid $5250.00 for a brand new still in the wrapper VTS system off of Iron Planet.com The tracks were for a 246B but they will also work on the CASE 440 and others I am sure. You could likely look up on the fit chart on Loegering's VTS website and become familiar with what other machines besides your own that will work with the VTS and when you see a set on the internet or at auction you can take advantage of it. A guy here bought a set for a 70XT for 3250 off E-bay. He had to buy new rubber but still a great deal.

  29. #29Willis Bushogin2008-11-08 23:28

    tracks I know what you mean, I had a Case 1840 about 4 years ago and it was a great machine, EXCEPT in the mud, then forget it, youre stuck. I went on eBay and bought a set of steel over the wheel tracks (I think TracksPlus, but Im not sure) at that time I paid $1500 for a set. Boy, this was like night and day, this thing was like a little bulldozer. Now this is what I learned 1. have the tires filled with foam or a tire sealant. If a tire goes flat, then you have to take the tracks off in the field and thats not pretty 2. If you work the machine hard in the mud and the tracks are slack, they will slip and wear the tires out, so keep them properly adjusted 3. Adjusting, this is just my opinion and experiences. I use a strap binder, to pull the ends together, you will learn where the best place to hook the ends up/together. I think it took me 2 hours for the first time, then it only took less than 30 minutes per side. If you need, a little bit of slack to get the bolts, deflat one or both tires, if they are inflated. Then inflate, if the tracks are too tight, they will cause issues with the wheel bearings, so be careful. 4. The steel tracks will scar the asphaut driveways, but unless you are real hard on it, it will not cause damage. On concrete it leaves a temp. mark only. My new rubber tracked machine leaves a mark also, but it comes off. I did wear a set out, in about a year, now this is using it rough and in rough conditions. Working about 60 hrs a week, in sand and mud, so they must be tough to last me that long. I bought another set and I still didnt have the money that McLaren wanted for their set. A friend of mine, bought a set of rubber over the tire, paid like $3500 (4 years ago) he had all kind of problems with wheel bearings, they would last him about 40 hrs, I think they were too heavy, too much strain on the bearings. He did the same thing I did, we both bought track machines, boy what a great machine, no more flat tires. Hope this helps, I would go with cheaper set, to see how you like it. Good Luck

  30. #30dirthog282008-11-09 13:53

    KSSS I saw a set of VTS on ebay a month ago for a Cat 242 I believe that sold for $1,200, rubber you could have got probably another 300-500hrs. I'm still pissed because they wouldn't fit my bobcat. I would have loved to got that deal!

  31. #31zingy2008-11-09 21:57

    Can someone tell me if I'll need spacers to run ott on a '95 763? Thanks

  32. #32HillBoy2008-11-10 16:12

    I did some reasearch about those bearings that your friend has a problem with. I think they are Grouser tracks since these are the only ones I found to use bearings. The Loegering and McLaren use a metal link with no bearing inside it... I assume the link is hammer forged, so that it lasts longer. Actually, the only thing I don't like about the Grouser tracks is the bearings they use - I think they'll be a hell to change once worn out. I also heard that they had few of the bearings breaking in the past.

  33. #33sparky2008-11-10 18:02

    I have Bullman tracks on my 98' 763, and do not need spacers.

  34. #34mouse2008-11-11 07:07

    i could be wrong but i think willis was pointing out that the machine's wheel bearings were failing rather than ones on the tracks themselves...

  35. #35Willis Bushogin2008-11-11 18:55

    tracks Yes I was talking about the machines wheel bearings. I think these heavy rubber add-on tracks, are just to heavy for the wheel bearings. Im not talking about the steel tracks. I did see some of these on Ebay today. Good Luck

  36. #36HillBoy2008-11-11 19:31

    Oh, I got it. Thanks for clarifying.

  37. #37ermineerwhatbuc2008-11-11 19:32

    I went to tracksplus.com and found tracks for a 763 and all it sais is 3/4" boom stop check it out mike

  38. #38HillBoy2008-11-11 19:34

    Hi Sparky, how are these Bullman tracks working for you? I see they have a lot more steel to wear that the Trackplus tracks. I used to have the Bullman flat proof tires, but not the Bullman over-the-tire tracks.

  39. #39blt2008-11-18 18:03

    We run Loegering tracks. About $3,000. They will greatly extend the life of your tires. We run on sharp rocks and steep terrain. Easy to take off and on once you get the hang of it. If you run them over foam filled tire check to make sure that it won't void your drive train warranty.

  40. #40ermineerwhatbuc2008-11-18 19:53

    What ever you decide, look on ebay and find a used set for cheap and try them if you dont like them , buy another that you think highlights the advantanges and disadvantages of the set you bought.

  41. #41landtekk2008-11-18 20:26

    "I did some reasearch about those bearings that your friend has a problem with. I think they are Grouser tracks since these are the only ones I found to use bearings. The Loegering and McLaren use a metal link with no bearing inside it... I assume the link is hammer forged, so that it lasts longer. Actually, the only thing I don't like about the Grouser tracks is the bearings they use - I think they'll be a hell to change once worn out. I also heard that they had few of the bearings breaking in the past. " I use grouser ott and I think they are great. The bearing is actually a bushing that keeps the pad from wearing. I've had these tracks for ten years and what I've found is that the bolts wear but the bushing and track don't. Replace the bolts every couple of years and your good. Cheap and easy with a small impact.I work in a lot of glacier till that eats steel.( contains a fine sand) The first set I got was not forged but you can get forged tracks set up for rubber pads and the lugs are beveled on the side to run on pavement. I think the is a lot of return for the investment thanks scott

  42. #42sparky2008-11-22 13:15

    I'm sorry that I took so long in replying HillBoy, I am very happy with my Bullman tracks. As I stated in an earlier post they are a sister company to Mclaren that are located at the the same address so they can't be half bad. I have Mclaren Nu-air tires with the Bullman bar type tracks and they are a good combo for me. I believe that you can order the Mclarens direct and Bullmans you have to go though a dealer. When I was looking to buy tracks I found out that a tire dealer 1 mile from my house was also a Bullman dealer. When I talked to a salesman there about them he had no idea what I was talking about but promised he'd find out in week or so. I called the girl back that I had talked to at Bullman and she sold them to me over the phone and had them drop shipped to the tire dealer before the salesman even know what skidsteer tracks were.

  43. #43HillBoy2008-11-22 13:43

    Thanks Saprky. Sounds like you have the ultimate package -- the McLaren flat proof tires combined with over the tire tracks. I don't think it can get any better for a skid steer loader. The next best will be a track loader or a VTS, but they costs a good $15k more, plus the rubber tracks will break a lot sooner than the over the tire tracks, which are all steel. I have the Nu-Air tires, the AT lug, and I think they are a great upgrade. The flat proof Bullman tires I had were also very good, but the Nu-Air AT wears much better. With the winter knocking on my porch, it's time to get some over the tire tracks, too. I'll be looking at the Bullmans you recommend...

  44. #44old skool iron2009-06-15 17:59

    steel tracks I have a L 785 NH i love my steel tracks mud snow what a life saver. your in luck i have an extra set i was just geting ready to put on craigs list. i`ll hold off for ya just in case your intrested.

  45. #45razvy2009-06-21 21:17

    @ old skool iron What size tires go over ? Where are located ? Thx PS : I am new on this site , so please be patient whit me

  46. #46old skool iron2009-06-22 09:15

    steel tracks good to hear from ya Razvy. l'am in colorado. 12-16.5 is the tire size of the steel tracks. thanks for your interest. old skool iron.

  47. #47razvy2009-06-22 10:02

    Perfect for my Skid steer , to bad you are in Colorado , shipping wheel be out of question I assume.

  48. #48fryboy2009-08-20 14:14

    I have loegering tracks on my 773g. I think they run about $2300 not sure they were with mine when I bought it. They make 100 times more traction in the slop, but they eat the grass. You should keep them adjusted, but check air pressure first. I tightend mine and later realized I had a low tire. When I aired it up I had to loosen the tracks. Now when they look a little loose, I check the tires and that usually fixes my problem. I run slime in the tires, but if it sits a few days in the right spot it will loose a little air. Not enough to actually notice, but enough to make the tracks look loose. The tracks are super heavy but one person can manhandle them on and off. Don't try loading on metal ramps in the rain.

  49. #49k452009-08-20 14:43

    You bring up a good point about tire pressure. The tracks on my new ss were way too tight. I was concerned about damaging the axle bearings (only about 1/4" sag at best). The service guy came out to add another link, took one look at it and said "they put too much air in the tires". He reduced the air pressure to 55 psi and I finally got a bit of sag (about 3/4"). Not enough according to the track manufacturer's web site, but he said as they wear in more (it only has 28 hours on it), they will be fine. His comment was that, with tracks on, the tires should not be rounded out in the center. Initially they had 65 psi in the tires. Ken

  50. #50HillBoy2009-08-20 17:03

    Hi Ken, what kind of OTT track are you running?

  51. #51rhudson12009-08-20 17:29

    is it true over the tire tracks will damage your unit if you have foam filled tires??>?

  52. #52HillBoy2009-09-02 17:56

    True. I believe your tires needs to have some cushioning to absorb any debris that may be caught between the tire and the track. I hear only the regular pneumatic or the cushioned flat proof tires can be used with OTTs...

  53. #53Cretebaby2009-09-02 18:24

    FWIW Almost everyone I know runs foam filled tires in there OTT.

  54. #54HillBoy2009-09-03 13:26

    A friend broke his drive axil doing this... ointhead But maybe if you run the OTT very loose, it may help somewhat. Still, I wouldn't risk! Plus, I would assume that the extra weight of the foam filled tires plus the weight of the OTTs is already getting quite heavy on the machine. I'm all for some extra weight to stabilize the machine, but having too much of it may not be wise.

  55. #55Cretebaby2009-09-03 16:22

    Wasn't trying to say it was right or wrong. Just stating what I have found to be common practice.

  56. #56tightgtp2009-11-14 09:24

    new holland doesn't recommend using tracks on the L-series skid loaders. to much stress on the axles since they are external.

  57. #57mxridernrth2009-11-16 03:29

    I'll add my $.02. I had the McLaren Diamond tracks with my 753 and in general found them a great solution. Pros: They were a great help in mud and sand. In fact, even though they are a bar style setup, the flotation they gave was very, very, noticeable. Stability of the machine was greatly increased. The 753 is a very short wheelbase and the lowered center of gravity was a blessing on steep terrain. There were three drawbacks that I found with the OTT in my application: 1) the 753 required a boom spacer, and in effect raised the heel of the bucket. Another member commented on a previous post that there are bucket adapters that can rectify this, but at that time I was not aware of this. Grading is pretty difficult when the bucket must be angled downward. 2) The steel bar tracks are hard on asphalt. As previously stated in this thread, they will temporarily mark the asphalt. Just don't turn. 3) taking them on and off is a pain in ***. Expect 30-45 mins when you're good at it. I too used a ratchet strap to tension the tracks. If I were to get another pair, I would get the McLaren rubber pad tracks and make sure that I could get the bucket offset adapter that I mentioned. I say this because I run in a mixed urban environment, so running across pavement is often necessary.