*Sorry put it in the excavator forum. Im not sure how to change it* We are looking for new tracks for our 287, and we were told there was only one company that made them becuase of the size. Does anyone know if thats true. $7k for tracks and $14k for tracks and idlers/rollers. Trying to find some that are cheaper... Let me know if anyone knows anything about this id really appreciate it!
Moved..Too easy
i found after markets 2000 4000 for idlers
I was told the Cat/ASV undercarriage design was patented, and untill the patent runs out, there is no such thing as aftermarket tracks for them. I really hope I am proved wrong, but about 18 months ago, that is what I found. You can get a deal on idlers and rollers from Bair and others, but the belts are dealer only. I put 14K into mine, and so far have only about 900 hrs on it and they are 2/3 worn out. Love the production of the 287, as well as its lifting ability, but it comes at a steep price. I am hoping to get this set to last 1200 to 1400 hrs, then it will only be $10 to $12 per hr. My D-6R runs that cheap.
Rubbertrax began supplying ASV type tracks in March of this year. http://www.rubbertrax.com/
ATCO Thanks for proving me half wrong. They were not making them when I looked last summer, but I am sure glad they are now. I sent a request for quote and used you as the reference of how I found them. Thanks
No, you weren't wrong Jerry, these things are just getting out there this year. They've been an OEM item for a long time. I will say that earlier in the year, there was reported and aftermarket ASV track on the market that was not the correct size, either too loose or too tight. I don't know what brand it was, but I remember reading about it here on the forum. I questioned Robin at Rubbertrax about this, she said they had heard it as well, and assured me that they have sold a number of the ones they have and they are a proper fit and proper size. I understand most folks, like me, would be hesitant with a new product, but she said they haven't had any problems with the ones they sell. I haven't purchased an ASV track from them yet, but plenty of other type rubber tracks, and I've only had one track from them that failed, and it wasn't from a weak track. It was on a Morooka crawler dumper and the knotheads were crossing railroad tracks with the machine loaded...and not at a "rail crossing"
Of course they will tell you they "haven't had any problems". Ultimately its your money to spend, but as I stated in another post..."buyer beware". I'll just throw this thought out there...I think most everyone agrees that most aftermarket rubber tracks for minis and CTLs don't last as long as the OEM tracks (getting better though). The kicker is that minis have been out for years and so have the aftermarket track makers and they STILL don't last as long. ASV is the ONLY OEM that uses a track system with these tracks and sprockets (CAT buys ASV's undercarriages). How good do you think that these tracks will be coming from a company just jumping into this type of track/drive system given the poor history of aftermarket mini tracks? I know personally of 3 people that have bought aftermarket tracks for their machines (RC50, PT60 and RC100(287) and haven't been happy. The guy with the PT60 couldn't even get the first two sets on his machine because the tracks were too short! I own a RC50 so you could say that I'm a little biased, but I also sold Bobcats for over 8 years and saw customers buy aftermarket tracks time and time again for minis and CTLs thinking they were saving money when in the end all they did was change them out twice as often. I know ASV sells the entire RC100 undercarriage for around $14k so you might want to contact your nearest ASV dealer to get track prices before you look at after market tracks. Just my .02.
We have been selling aftermarket rubber tracks for a few years. In the past three or four months we have been selling aftermarket for the ASV (Cat) machines and have not had any complaints. The tracks come w/ a good warranty and some of the O.E.M. dealers have been buying from us. Needless to say, If the quality wasn't very good, why would the dealer be buying aftermarket from us??? We have not seen any difference in the tracks except for the tread pattern. I havn't came across any that were too short or too long. It seems like everyone is trying to get into selling aftermarket rubber tracks. Make sure you are buying from someone who will stand behind what they sell and can offer a warranty. These are my thoughts on it so make what you will.
Because they are cheaper than cost on new OEMs and they can trade in a machine with bad trax and put it back on the lot with "new rubber" at a lower investment. Reconditioning costs are a major concern in a dealership, because they can't always get back what they put into a machine, but it may be a tough sell as it comes in.
MXZ, Most of the tracks that the dealers have been buying have been for their rental fleet.
Thank you!
Where at?
Ironkid, Quicktrax, MXZ, Digdeep, atcoequip and JDOFMEMI- Thanks guys for all your help and input, i appreciate it! The boss is thinking of maybe trading it in for the new track design CTL by CAT.(279c, 289c, 299c, not sure about similar sizes with the 287c.) Ive also heard that John Deere makes one hell of a CTL. Anyone have any input on that? We have all Cat equipment except for a JD 210/skip for obivous reasons. So i know he'd probably like to stay with Cat especially with the new track design. But if Deeres where its at then id like to steer him toward that. We were going to demo one the last i heard so well see. Thanks again everyone for their input! Keep it coming!!:thumbsup
Not sure if you can see them but they are getting pretty boggered up... Pieces missing all over (Look at the right side inside bottom)
those tracks look good if u take those off now i will take your old ones off your hands. We run our 287b in similar conditions as u, we run them until they fall off. The cat ctl is a nice machine your 287 would compare to a 289.
not to sure that all oem tracks are the best, i had a mini cat ,301.8, and tracks would snap in two at 500-650 hrs.im not onesided or anty cat as all my gear is cat and may have yellow blood but not to keen on paying top dollar for cat tracks at that life span! sold the digger now , back to tires and steel tracks only.
Haha ya they dont look to bad in the picture, ill try and get a better one they are pretty bad. I think our new plan is to run 'em till one falls off. Thanks, has anyone heard how the new ones are?
I have a 287b, and the controls wont engage. the brake light and the seatbelt light keep flashing. this is an intermittent problem. i have replaced magnetic lap bar switch, ignition and seat switch. has anyone else had this problem.
Run em till they fall off. Start saving in the mean time Got a set on a 257 that look worse and they just keep holdin on, knock on wood...
the after market tracks from rubbertrax (the first batch) were way to long.we bought a set and with the undercarrage as tight as we could get it,it was so loose it would not let us move the machine at all!there second and current are better but at 400 -600 hrs start to stretch and I can see us buying another set soon beacuse of the stretching.Not good.As to why the dealer is buying tracks is very easy to figure out.If factory cat gets 3900$ per side(h.o.penn cat)that is 7800$ for tracks.This is why they buy any ones aftermarket track on the rental or used machine..................cheap junk they know will not last but cheaper for them.If some one is selling aftermarket CHINESE JUNK for 2000-2500$ that is still 1400$ less than new ones.If you own the machine and It Is a good machine for you ang good to you,buy FACTORY!If factory cat gets 1200-1600- hrson theres and some chink ones get 600-700hrs do the math.Starting sept.1,2011 all we buy for now on is factory(bobcat,caterpillar and deere).Ironically on these machines,the factory prices are 150.00$ difference between each other.And all made by bridgestone.our 299c,deere and bobcat are really close in size to each other.............weird................