Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks keep coming off

NCPIPELINE ยท 2012-05-29 17:17

Hey Guys! So I have a New Holland C175 and its the only machine we have that I am constantly going out into the field to put a track back on, always seems to be the same side. Any ideas why this keeps happening? :Banghead

Replies12
  1. #1Huntoon2012-05-29 19:12

    Maybe the spring on the idler has failed? Does it usually fail after sitting for a while?

  2. #2Bobcatdan2012-05-29 19:56

    I would check the track tensionor for leaking down. I would also check the front and rear idler. I don't know on a nh, but if one goes out, it will throw tracks.

  3. #3buckfever2012-05-29 20:14

    Are the tracks getting old? When ours get older it seems like they will strech and are more prone to coming off. The cheaper the tracks the worse they seem to do this.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2012-05-30 11:18

    I agree with all the comments, if you cant find the problem, switch the tracks. The wear pattern will be different and it may get you back in business for a while longer. As stated the cheap tracks are bad about this, when they get worn check bearings in idler wear on idler teeth on sprocket do you keep having, to adjust the tensioner

  5. #5NCPIPELINE2012-05-31 15:19

    It doesn't really have a pattern of failure, just happens.. Just got the call while I was posting this that it has happened again... Teeth on sprocket are good, what about the tensioner on a New Holland how does it work, what if it just wont hold grease pressure? Thoughts?

  6. #6Huntoon2012-05-31 15:35

    If it won't hold grease you might need a new grease valve.

  7. #7Bobcatdan2012-05-31 15:42

    I have been watching every machine I have done tracks on lately. If the tensionor rod has any knick to the chrome it will leak. Old trackes the rod is way out, new tracks the rod will sit in. If you can look at the front of the tensionor at all, see if grease is piling up, sure sign the seal is out.

  8. #8NCPIPELINE2012-06-01 07:45

    Roger that, I am leaning towards the tensioner. Ordering a new one now.

  9. #9cutting edge2012-06-01 08:15

    You might want to check for a mess of grease in and around the tensioner before you replace it. It could just be the way the seatcover runs the thing (most guys tend to turn around one way and this is often when the track gets thrown)

  10. #10NCPIPELINE2012-06-01 09:24

    Whats a seat cover>?

  11. #11DirtHauler2012-06-01 09:28

    aka the operator

  12. #12NCPIPELINE2012-06-01 09:30

    LOL! Cant blame it on that one, been a few different operators...