Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks on a Bobcat 442

mudnducs ยท 2014-06-09 19:23

Hello gents. I very recently bought a used Bobcat 442 excavator....so far, so good. Plenty of power to do what I need, runs smooth, no leaks. I'm trying to adjust the steel (not rubber) tracks and the owners manual is unclear about where to check it. If I lift the left side track off the deck there's about 3 inches of clearance in the middle of the track to the bottom roller...but the maunal seems to be saying I should check track clearance at the top roller...I'll NEVER get clearance there...... Any hints? Thanks in advance guys. mud

Replies5
  1. #1mudnducs2014-06-09 23:30

    Is there a forum moderator that can move this thread to the correct (compact excavator) forum?

  2. #2cdm1232014-06-15 18:35

    bigger than a compact but not a 200 lol. my manual says lay a strait edge between the idler and rear drive you need 3/4 inch sag. there is a cover on the rail on each side with 2 bolts (takes a 9/16 wrench I think ) inside is a button head grease zerk to loosen tracks turn the zerk and release grease to tighten tracks pump grease in. I like to lift the machine with the bucket and spin the track then measure again after adjusting.

  3. #3mudnducs2014-06-16 12:18

    Hey thanks!!!!!

  4. #4lumberjack2014-06-16 13:50

    3/4" of sag on steel tracks would be powerfully tight, about right on rubber tracks. You'll want ~3" of sag between the rails and the middle roller. If there isn't a middle roller, use a straight edge between the two middle rollers ooor just eyeball it. Loose is better than tight, at least until you walk the track off.

  5. #5cdm1232014-06-16 15:10

    I was going from memory so I rechecked and the manual says 7/8" or 20 mm.