Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tractor Losing power going up hill

Seananamous ยท 2018-12-31 10:47

I have a New Holland LB75 backhoe. When I first bought the machine, it was not taken care of very well but but would go up this certain hill (~25ft ~20% grade) quite easily in second gear. A year has passed, and I did quite a bit of maintenance to the machine (changed the fuel filter, hydraulic filter, normal stuff that should be replaced) but now, it seems like the backhoe - after giving it time to warm up - is hardly going up the hill in first gear. It would go up 3/4 of the way, then lag and once I reach steady ground, then it catches back up again. What could be the issue for this? Is this normal?

Replies26
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-12-31 11:42

    Probably not normal.?? How do the other functions work.? Plenty of power when using the hoe & buckets.?? If yes.. then the only problem u have is "travel".?? HHMM, I "was gonna" suspect fuel supply.. as in supply pump.. but it still might be a "pick-up tube" problem..?? Does it spit & sputter when going up hill, like its picking up air or does it just slow down?? If NO, it just slows down.. u might have other troubles.??

  2. #2John C.2018-12-31 11:59

    A better description of what is actually happening would help a ton. Thepumpguysc is trying to find out if the engine is the problem or is it in the torque converter or transmission. If the engine is running normally when climbing the hill then it is possible the transmission / torque converter is low on oil. On some machines you check the level with the engine running and on others it is shut off. Also on some machines you have to overfill the transmission slightly when operating on steep ground.

  3. #3Seananamous2018-12-31 12:14

    I'll offer the best description as possible. The engine runs totally fine, but when going up 3/4 of this hill (pressing the gas pedal all the way) the loader slows down but makes the same engine sound. I dont hear anything bad other then the machine moving slowly as it's reaching the peak. Once it reaches flat surface, the loader catches back up and goes faster then it normally would in 1st gear then slows down again as it needed to catch up with a transmission or torque converter. I'll be sure to check the oil level again as it does normally leak a couple drops every hour.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2018-12-31 12:58

    You may need to do a hyd. stall test with trans in neutral using the loader bucket and then a trans. stall test in road gear and then work your way down. Then do a combined stall test with trans and hyd. together. Of course check oil levels and check fuel flow also even though you changed filter earlier.

  5. #5hosspuller2018-12-31 13:01

    Doesn't sound like the engine or it's output is the problem.

  6. #6jimg9842018-12-31 13:17

    are the grovners working? smoke increase?,, color of smoke? tire pressure?

  7. #7Seananamous2018-12-31 14:31

    Maybe a minor amount of smoke increase. Grovners? tire pressure is definitely good.

  8. #8Delmer2018-12-31 14:56

    To me, THIS PART sounds like the engine surges, which means it is starved for fuel and sucking air. Does this have a tachometer? what does the engine RPM do when it slows down 3/4 of the way up the hill?

  9. #9Seananamous2018-12-31 15:15

    Unfortunately the tachometer doesn't work. Never had enough time to figure out how to fix it. One thing I did notice is a cracked gas line. This was meant for the original fuel filter but seems like the original owner added a retrofit. 1- Old Gas filter 2 -Cracked gas line 3- New filter (been replaced since this image.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2018-12-31 16:15

    Just grasping at straws here. What about the temperature when it went good vs now? I have a fork lift that won't even haul its own self up a certain hill when cold, I guess the oil is too thick. After it loosens up from driving on flats it goes much better. I don't know what kind of transmission this thing has or if I am interpreting your description correctly. But it sounds to me like it might possibly be in a higher gear? Since it goes faster? Replace the rotten hose, that would be a start.

  11. #11funwithfuel2018-12-31 18:39

    Are you making boost, do you hear air rushing?

  12. #12Delmer2018-12-31 18:42

    Bingo and tic tac toe at the same time!

  13. #13Seananamous2018-12-31 19:13

    When its cold, it doesn't go up the hill. When its warm, it goes up the hill in first gear barely. When its warm and has been driven a while, it goes up the hill much better. It uses a shuttle shift transmission, but I obviously know which gear the tractor is at when I'm going up this hill. To be more specific, it's a " Spicer T4-2025 Power shuttle 4x4 - 4 forward, 4 reverse" If you're talking about overall climate temperature - In Texas during the summer when I started using the machine, it was working much better in the hot then it is during the winter if that's what you're asking.

  14. #14Seananamous2018-12-31 19:18

    Can you please specify? Do people normally add these retrofit filters to work along-side the old filter or to bypass it? I never heard any boost honestly from the time I bought the backhoe. Figured a OEM silencer ring are normally stock with these backhoes? I really appreciate everyone's help and bearing with me as I'm trying to be the most descriptive as possible with the issue.

  15. #15Dave Neubert2018-12-31 19:38

    If the engine makes the same sound I would think that the engine is not dropping RPMs I would change the oil and filter in the shuttle if it has a pan that you can drop pull it and check the pick up strainer. If you have a way check the trans pressure. sounds like the torque is getting weak

  16. #16Tinkerer2018-12-31 20:05

    I have rotated his image to make it easier to comprehend.

  17. #17Tinkerer2018-12-31 20:12

    What is the steel line with the hole in it for ??

  18. #18Mobiltech2018-12-31 21:22

    Whats interesting is in your earliest picture you see an electric lift pump with 2 in line filters before it .Have you changed both .Also why did someone add an electric lift pump with a visible mechanical lift pump.

  19. #19Tinkerer2018-12-31 22:29

    Good observation Mobiltech. Probably has crap in the fuel tank. That would explain why he is having the most trouble on a hill.

  20. #20Delmer2018-12-31 23:14

    I'd remove anything that's not stock on that fuel system. If #1 is a stock filter or screen, take it apart and clean and inspect it. Get rid of the electric pump like Mobiletech mentioned. Get rid of the inline plastic filter if it's not stock. Double check that it's made for diesel if there is supposed to be one there. A gas filter won't work. Replace all rubber hoses. Check the tank, or drain it and flush it. Check inside every one of those banjo bolts just because they look so bad. Of course I'm assuming that the engine is slowing down and causing the backhoe to slow down, which seems likely to me seeing the how much that fuel system has been jethroed up. If you really don't think the engine is slowing down, then you could try running up a hill at half speed in first gear, when it starts to slow down, put the throttle all the way to full speed and see if the engine speeds up or not. That would mean it's not the engine and to follow the transmission advice. I'd still clean up that mess though.

  21. #21funwithfuel2019-01-01 03:02

    That line pointed out by #1 goes up and around to the intake manifold at the flame start. You see, it adds Los has the electric lead beside it. Those things will leak fuel pressure and cause hard starts

  22. #22Seananamous2019-01-01 11:01

    Thanks all! I will replace those lines and give an update on it.

  23. #23JD88752019-01-01 23:53

    I have a New Holland 555 that sat for 2 years before I bought it. It developed bacteria in the fuel tank which then passes through the fuel system. It would have similar issues. There was a banjo bolt just upstream of the settling bowl that would collect that rust colored slimy crap in it and cause a power loss til it died. I treated the fuel tank and added an inline filter that I can see through. When the inline picks up crap you throw it away and replace it with a $1.50 new one as opposed to the down time of cleaning the fittings and replacing the OEM filter everytime. It's the best thing I have done to my new Holland. Good luck John

  24. #24thepumpguysc2019-01-02 09:24

    Good thinkin JD8875.. EVERY engine should have 1.. Just remember, get the one for a DIESEL..{wix}

  25. #25379Pete2019-01-03 10:14

    Keep it simple, try going up the same hill in reverse. Sounds like slipping shuttle to me.

  26. #26funwithfuel2019-01-03 10:16