Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trailer brake problems

05rammer · 2017-05-01 14:10

I recently bought a used tandem 10,000lb axle gooseneck trailer. The brakes were shot when I bought it so I replaced the brake assemble, didn't replace the drums. I am having problems with them working, they are adjusted properly. With my truck, I have a Prodigy P3 brake controller, I can just barely feel the brakes work when I hit the pedal, the controller is turned all the way up, if I hit the slide they will lock up. My cousin has a newer truck with a built in controller he used it and they seemed to work with his truck just fine. I have never had any issues with my controller working on any other trailer. We did check all the wiring and grounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been raking my brain over this for a while now.

Replies4
  1. #1hosspuller2017-05-01 20:00

    Have you adjusted the boost setting ? With heavier trailers, you want to increase the boost setting to 2 or 3 "...Each incremental boost setting increases the sensitivity of the P3’s inertial sensor, enhancing the participation of the trailer brakes during a braking event." Here's a link to the manual ... http://www.tekonsha.com/content/downloads/installation/N90195.pdf

  2. #205rammer2017-05-02 06:43

    Boost is all the way up on an empty trailer.

  3. #3hosspuller2017-05-02 23:50

    Sounds like your controller is the issue. Before calling Tekonsha. Try resetting the controller. Unplug the controller from the truck at the back of the unit. If that doesn't solve the issue.... call for help.

  4. #405rammer2017-05-03 10:53

    Thanks