Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer brakes wiring

Gchartrand ยท 2019-11-24 08:02

I just replaced the trailer brakes on our 7K axle trailer. Does it matter what side the wires are plugged on the brake drum side? Cause right now I don't have very much brakes after assembling the new complete drum assembly. Is one ground and the other power? It's also a 2 axle trailer.

Replies4
  1. #1AllDodge2019-11-24 08:28

    Assuming electric brakes, it doesn't matter which wire, one power and other ground. It does matter if the ground side has a good ground back to the truck. It can be attached to the frame, but works best if there is a ground going back to the trailer connector. Did you adjust the shoes to fit the drum?

  2. #2Gchartrand2019-11-24 20:23

    So I'll have to check those things you just mentioned this week once I get the chance. And no I never knew that those drums needed to be adjusted.

  3. #3AllDodge2019-11-24 20:28

    Have a look here https://www.google.com/search?clien...iler+brakes#kpvalbx=_Ny7bXebhM838tAX45qjgAQ33

  4. #4willie592019-11-24 20:34

    And adjust the brakes on those axles can be a challenge depending on how they are mounted. If the tube is above the spring (typical) the u bolts and bottom plate are right in the way, and if it's a drop axle, fa get about it, pull the wheels/tires off.