Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just when you thought parking areas were crowded enough

Ronsii ยท 2019-11-20 20:24

Like many places there is never enough room!!! and this leads to trucks driving into all sorts of things and trailers backing into and over even more stuff So I get to the site to fix a few *issues* with things the trailers have had intimate relations with and see the line of trailers sitting there and ask one of the yard guys about it... why is it sticking back further than the others?... So he says... come here and look at this... ok, I follow him over to the trailer and we work our way to the front of it and I see this... And I thought it was bad with the 53footers when they try to shoehorn them into spots around here!!!! We both wondered how it could have even gotten this far west without being caught at a weigh station....

Replies16
  1. #1RZucker2019-11-20 20:51

    It says "not for rail use" but I wonder if it still sneaked in on a train.

  2. #2Ronsii2019-11-20 20:53

    yeah... hard to say??? next thing you know we'll have some 59 footers showing up.....

  3. #3RZucker2019-11-20 20:56

    Just make it an even '60.

  4. #4Ronsii2019-11-20 20:56

    I guess it could be worse... They could start bringing these things in... spotted him getting off the freeway into puyallup.

  5. #5petepilot2019-11-20 22:07

    THATS a wood chopper

  6. #6hvy 1ton2019-11-20 22:21

    I thought all the 57 footers were grandfathered in Texas trailers, but it looks like new trailers are still being built and are (supposed) to be restricted to Texas.

  7. #7Ronsii2019-11-20 23:50

    I think there are at least 6 or 7 states that use 57's and a couple that use 59's I think the 59's are what is grandfathered in tx but good all the way in la

  8. #8petepilot2019-11-21 00:20

    fwiw I have been passed by 70 foot single deck cattle trailers in kans. neb. okla. and texas. but not on interstates. st. roads only

  9. #9Ronsii2019-11-21 00:22

    Kinda funny, exactly one week ago someone rolled a semi on the south end of Sumner on the 410 freeway now this morning they rolled on on the north end getting off of hwy 167. Last weeks rollover. don't have pics of todays yet.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2019-11-21 05:31

    The hiway speeds here are 70mph.. the exit ramp speeds are 25 mph in some spots.. THAT makes for some "interesting" commutes..{aggravating} A group of 50-75 cars traveling in a pack at 70+ mph & 1 of them decides he needs to get off.. No turn signal, no warning.. just hits the brakes to "merge" into the exit lane.. Hold onto yer coffee..

  11. #11mowingman2019-11-21 10:42

    One of our trailers for band equipment is a 57 footer and has the axles adjusted way back. I hate that thing compared to the other 53's we have. For a couple of years, we got a single axle tractor to use with that trailer. Now, it seems the bosses don't care since they don't have to drive it, and we get a tandem axle to pull it with. Once, I had to take it into an unloading dock in a tunnel under AT&T Stadium,(Dallas Cowboys stadium). Now let me tell you, that was a real chore.

  12. #12kleener2020-08-05 01:51

    Thats Cute

  13. #13Truck Shop2020-08-05 16:36

    Even though that happened away's back it was only a Freightliner Columbia/with the electrical issues those have the owner was probably pleased.

  14. #14mowingman2020-08-05 21:49

    We have 3 of the 53' van trailers and one of the 57' trailers for our band trailers here in Texas. I have pulled them all, and I hate that 57' trailer, when hooked to a tandem tractor. The 57 was a former bread trailer from the San Antonio area I heard. It is not bad to pull around with a single axle tractor, but with those tandem tractors, the extra length is very noticeable. I thought those big trailers were just a Texas "THING". Jeff

  15. #15DMiller2020-10-13 07:00

    Like western Triples and KS Turnpike double 45s, bigger/longer is NOT always better.

  16. #16heymccall2020-10-13 09:17

    Trailer length by state https://www.bigtruckguide.com/semi-trailer-length/